SMOKING MEAT general

Lets talk about smoking.

I have a pellet grill that i really love. But its sort of on the small side and I want to cook for larger groups. I also want to see if the taste difference between pellet and wood is large

What are some of the better smokers that wont break the bank? is the pit barrel smokers still the best wood burner for cheap?

Other urls found in this thread:

smokenator.com/
abcbarbecue.com/
chargriller.com/charcoal-grills-and-smokers
amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/offset_smokers.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get a Smokenator 2000 to use in a Weber 22.5" kettle. Buy some decent charcoal. Works great. Cheap solution.
smokenator.com/

BIG GREEN EGG NIGGA

Smoked meats that are oversmoked have me feeling like shit just hours after having eaten .... same shit happens again when eating leftovers the very next day

Eating steak rare/medium rare kinda gives me a fever right around a hour later

Steaks and smoked meats are not high on my joys or favorites list ... steak is nearly on the meh list where slightly smoked meats can range into something very enjoyable

Im planing on smoking some brisket with my family one of these days and the plan is pretty much
>coal grill
>foil pan for water and such
>coals with fresh ones on top for heat and lasting heat
>some kind of rub that we will research later (any ideas?)
>trimm the fat a good amount (not sure how much we should do or if we should score it?)
>smoke it all day by putting the wood on top of the coals for as long as we can
>slice and eat

How does it sound? We have never done this before.

Today Dad got up at 6 and smoked 10 pounds of Texas brisket and about 12 lbs of pork. Took around 16 hours using Pecan sticks from our yard. The flavor ended up so perfect we didn't even want to use bbq sauce.

Pulling and slicing pork for sandwiches with the senpai

Looks good user.

You need a closed smoker, not just a grill. Get an electric one or a propane

Your dad is cool as heck

can i get a pussy pic for him?

not me

yep, it will make excellent lunches for many days to come

sounds like chinese restaurant syndrome

How large? I've got the large Weber Smokey Mountain. I can do 8 baby backs at a time. They make racks you can buy so you could double that quantity.
Go to amazingribs.com and do some reading on different smokers. The site is pretty legit despite the site owner's opinionated views on some things and the annoying nag pop-ups.

>I also want to see if the taste difference between pellet and wood is large
Probably not that noticeable but you can probably get a more diverse selection of woods. That makes a difference. I've been using white oak for a couple years now and I really like it. I but it through amazon.

*buy

We used a 24" Smoke Vault propane to do these:
I think it works pretty well, but you will need an external temp probe.

If you want a good smoker, you're going to have to shell out the bucks, dude. No way around it.

I want to meet your dad

I did beef ribs the other week. They were great, but I used a little too much rub and glaze.
I do chicken wings all the time, but I'm still trying to work out the best temp and time.
I like my chicken to be a little firm, but when I do it in the weber the meat is too soft. Any tips?

>general

propane or charcoal. I wanna be able to take this thing camping

i have a smoker but idk how do i smoke? how do i get that op pic? is that brisket?

Depends. You can get great little charcoal grills, you can even get disposable ones. But propane would be much easier.

Watch some YouTube videos. BBQ pit boys, how to BBQ right, BBQ with franklin.

>BBQ pit boys
Dude, that shit is a joke.
It's fun for amateur entertainment, but you can't take it seriously. They're scrubs making scrub food, which is probably pretty good, but NOT a channel to be taken seriously. C'mon...

>it probly tastes good

>dont take them seriously

The Slow 'n' Sear is the superior kettle grill smoker accessory.

abcbarbecue.com/

>is the pit barrel smokers still the best wood burner for cheap?

No, some of the cheaper offset barrel smokers are a better deal. Specifically, Chargriller makes some excellent smokers that are very reasonably priced ($200) or you can add a side fire box to any of the grills.

chargriller.com/charcoal-grills-and-smokers

>chargriller.com/charcoal-grills-and-smokers

I read somewhere that unless you are getting a reputable (and expensive) offset you are basically throwing money away

What you read was wrong.
The more expensive ones tend to have thicker metal and thus better heat retention. This allows you to have a more consistent cook with varying outside temperatures.
That helps when you don't know what you are doing, but, when you do, you quality of the food is the same.
You just have to pay attention to the amount of charcoal / wood in the fire box and the input / exhaust vents.

I second the Big Green Egg. I use mine at least 2X every week. Very versatile will last forever. They are expensive but worth every last penny. If you are tight on cash, the Weber Smokey Mountain is also a good option. I have both and get a lot of use out of the WSM when I am cooking for large groups. The only drawback of the BGE is the size and the price.

If you are close to Atlanta, you can get a BGE at Eggtoberfest for about $800 and it comes with all the extras.

What you see on the brisket are smoke rings and bark. Its all about temperature control. If you smoke your brisket at a steady 225 and control the smoke, yours should end up looking the same. Remember to wrap in foil for the last few hours and let it rest in a cooler (without ice) for at least an hour prior to slicing. Always slice against the grain.

I just looked up the article and none of it is wrong

amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/offset_smokers.html

I agree with most of the stuff said here. Its a waste of money

I will make now quals about the the superiority of reverse flow offset smokers vs direct (though the chargrillers are easy to modify). It is a compromise between a grill and a smoker for those that don't want to invest a lot of money. They produce quality Q. They are not a waste of money even if they are a target of riducule for those that aspire to be a pretentious faggot.

*no qualms

Using anything but an electric smoker is a meme similar to vinyl records

You think meme means a fad?

why would i spend money on a grill i have to modify?

bumping

You don't have to modify it. The point is that you can improve a cheap smoker for less money than an expensive one. Also, someone of us also hang out on /diy/. I like building / tinkering with things. It is kind of like making your own bacon.

Smoking a 15 lb Brisket next weekend with my dad. I've never smoked meat but he has quite a few times. Should I watch YouTube videos on smoking so I don't fuck it up?

Can't hurt. The basic idea is to keep temps at about 120°C, make sure you have blue smoke not white and monitor the internal temps of your meat.

This picture shows it pretty well. You want to one on the right.

Thank you for the pic. How do I maintain blue smoke vs white?

It all depends on the wood you use to produce smoke.
Usually you get your charcoal going, then put a chunk of fresh wood on to make smoke. If that chunk is too big or the charcoal isn't hot enough, it won't burn cleanly. If the smoke is white you've probably used too much wood.

I made bacon a bunch but my family hated it.

Is that a tiny dog?

i make smoked dick in your nan's gob

nice

Fag