Redpill me on seafood boils

Everytime I see pics of a seafood boil posted, people seem to lose their minds, and I don't get it.

I've had crab, I've had corn, and I've had sausage separately, and they're OK. I haven't had boiled potatoes, that sounds bland as fuck. Why would boiling them all together suddenly make it amazing? It doesn't look appetizing imo, yet people make it sound like it's the pinnacle of cooking. What should my expectations be?

Most people just like whatever seasoning they use to boil it all in. I think it tastes alright but everything tastes the same to me because everything is boiled in the same seasoned water.

I'll explain...

>eating a seafood boil alone
this is shit. why the fuck would anyone make this? i could have cooked all this shit separately and made it taste 10x better.

>having a seafood boil with 10 friends while drinking heavily
OMG!!! This is the best meal ever!!!! I love life and have zero desire to kill myself ever!!!! Love you guys.

If you are not eating it off of newspaper then it is not authentic.

Came here to post this. Seafood boils are as much about the experience as it is flavor.

That's it! I've never understood it either, and I live where this is a thing. It's food for drunk, coastal peasants.

/thread

Way down in our Beloved Dixie, the summer boil is a sacred thing, sir.

>this is shit. why the fuck would anyone make this?

It's a meal you serve for get-togethers and parties. It's easy to prepare in large quantities when you've got 20+ friends and relatives over.

>> sounds bland as fuck
Why would the potatoes be band? They soak up all the spices and the flavors from the other foods in the boil. If you're making it cajun style then the potatoes are the spiciest thing on the table, easily.

It's certainly not the pinnacle of cooking, but it's damn tasty and fun to eat with friends. It's about the social experience--siting around the table, grabbing stuff with your hands, drinking loads of beer, etc. Good times.

It's really not that good because so many dumbasses get the timing wrong.

Dumping a bunch of different sea creatures in a pot is a sure way to get some parts that are undercooked and others overcooked. Add potatoes and corn to that and it's just a a disaster.

It's a fun thing to do with the family. Drink a bunch of beer and eat a bunch of nicely seasoned seafood and carbs.

>Dumping a bunch of different sea creatures in a pot is a sure way to get some parts that are undercooked and others overcooked

This is how I know you can't cook worth a fuck.

I'll post a basic guide in about 30 minutes

Can confirm. I'm not even from the coastal swampy parts of the South and I've participated in a few. Though us Appalachian folk call them low-country boils. My relatives in South Carolina are especially fond of them.

This. It's fun OP. If you family sucks, do it with your friends and neighbors.

Rural/suburban retard here. I always thought seafood boils were a black people thing? Similar to how they buy the majority of their food from gas stations.

Old Bay

The majority of "black people food" is actually just Southern poor people food that Yankees associated with black people because of the black migration to the North East following the Reconstruction. They brought Southern food with them and Yankees labeled it black.

Are you intentionally racist or do you just not see that what you said is indeed racist?

>I haven't had boiled potatoes

What

>racist
What?
Ah, that makes perfect sense.

Do you know where you are?

You will need a very boldly flavored sausage. I am very fond of andouille.

Split the sausages and sear them in your biggest stock pot to form a fond then remove.

Create a spice blend. I use Old Bay powder plus salt, hot Hungarian paprika, black pepper and diced jalapeno, red onion and celery toasted in the sausage fat.

Fill the pan pot about 3/4 full of water. Taste to make sure it is pretty salty and rich, and spicy.

When the water is at a rolling boil add halved red or Yukon gold potatoes of even size and halved cobs of sweet corn

When the potatoes are almost fork tender reduced to a simmer and add the sausage along with 2 or 3 types of seafood from the nearest ocean or gulf. My favorite combo is crawdads and shrimp. The crawdads take about 4-5 minutes to cook, the shrimp even less. Crab and clam is also a good mix. DO NOT OVER COOK THE SEAFOOD. DO NOT BUY ASIAN SEAFOOD.

Toss the water and serve on a table covered in parchment or newspaper with condiments such as drawn butter, lemon chunks, horseradish, cocktail sauce hot sauce, spice mix, etc... assorted cold drinks and rolls of paper towels

You'll want at least 3 potatoes, a whole ear of corn about 12 oz. of seafood 8 oz. of sausage/person

I would never serve less than that and usaually serve much larger portions

Minced fresh herbs are also boss garnish.

>do not buy asian seafood
Please elaborate. Is it less fresh or the wrong type?

>soul food = southern poor food

Generally true. People forget, the majority of whites in the south were dirt poor and lived hand to mouth similar to the black slaves minus the formal label of "slave." There food was the same. Interestingly enough the most fervent anti-black sentiment since the civil war foments among the poor white trash who have always lived like the black slaves did and now view them as competition.

Raised in pits of toxic sludge under non existent quality control by slave labor before being frozen and shipped to the other side of the world.

Wild caught stuff from Japanese suppliers is ok for a lot of stuff but not seafood boil.

Asians are a very sneaky people, probably worse than the jews

>Interestingly enough the most fervent anti-black sentiment since the civil war foments among the poor white trash
I find that the racism of the lower class simply isn't sophisticated enough. Race realism, enlightened by biology, is the only way. That is, there are differences between human populations, and blacks have some of the lowest IQ's in the world, which explains the fact that most blacks simply can't cut it in White western civilisation. Because of their savage nature, they feel out of place in civilized societies built by more intelligent individuals. Mass importing niggers was a mistake, and benefited the wealthy landowners while screwing over poor whites.

But what am I saying, this is a cooking board, so let's get back on topic.

Portuguese New England Style Boil

3 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
Half of a small onion, diced
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
4-6 medium yellow potatoes, halved
4-6 ears sweet corn, husked and broken in half
1lb. chouriço (chorizo) or linguicia sausage, cut into small bits
2-3 lbs littleneck, cherrystone, or top neck hard shell clams
1-2 lbs raw shrimp, rinsed and peeled, if desired
1 can light beer such as Budweiser
Salt

Rinse the clams in cold water and gently scrub their shells, discarding those that are broken or do not close when lightly tapped on the counter. Set a large pot over low heat and add oil and butter, then the garlic. Once the garlic is fragrant and starting to brown, increase the heat to medium and add the sausage, cooking until lightly brown. Add the beer and then water as needed to bring the liquid to 3-4 inches. Add the potatoes to the bottom of the pot.

Cover and bring to a steady simmer, then cook the potatoes for 5 minutes. Add the clams and cover, cook 5 minutes more, then add the shrimp and corn and cover. Check the pot; in the next 3-4 minutes the clams will have opened their shells. Take the pot off the heat and let sit 10-15 minutes, leaving covered, then serve.

You will have adjust the timing depending upon the size of your clams, potatoes, corn, and shrimp. The clams are done when they're open, and they can take a little overcooking if you need it to finish the shrimp. The shrimp are done as soon as they're pink, and will be very unpalatable if overcooked.

Some of you will want to add some Old Bay, and that's OK, though I don't. I do a separate pot for lobster or crabs, cooking both in sea or heavily salted water. I add crushed red pepper to the crabs.

Sounds good

It's fun, ritualistic party food that ends up being nice, albeit simple.

You are forgetting the copious amounts of old bay seasoning that gets thrown on top. It's not flavorless

Now let me throw a question at you, OP. Why are you trying to hard to be a special snowflake with your taste?

>I've had crab, I've had corn, and I've had sausage separately, and they're OK.

They aren't "OK", they're pretty staple ingredients.

>yet people make it sound like it's the pinnacle of cooking.

Nobody ever said this

Dumb nigger faggot I hope u drown in your above ground pool while watching basketball and eating KFC and watermelon.

Historically correct "black people food" consist mostly of watermelon and fried cornmeal.

Watermelons were useful to enslaved black persons due to it's ease of growing in the south eastern states and it's ability to provide sugar and hydration to somebody working in a hot field all day.

Cornmeal was used as a ration to slaves because it was a cheap source of food. It was fried with whatever animal fat they could get their hands on.

BBQ and fried chicken / seafood was more often eaten by rich white plantation owners as the poor whites of the time ate mostly the same as the blacks with the exception of a little more meat or dairy as it was available. Things like pork and beans or pork and greens are prototypical of poor whites at the time. The rich whites of the period had strong ties to the north but history books would never dare tell such things...

As blacks became free persons and with the advent of welfare they took to the cuisine of the poor whites and made it their own. Kinda like a blue collar worker winning the lottery and moving to NYC and eating out every night.

Source: Multi generational southern person.

I simply don't want to set my expectations too high when I cook it myself. If I hadn't started this thread, I might have made it for dinner (for 4) this week.

Made with attention and good ingredients it's a pretty impressive spread. I suggest trying it out once or twice.

>with the advent of welfare

Niggah, there's a higher percent of whites on welfare than blacks.

>advent of welfare

Welfare existed long before this you multi generational cunt

Proportionally by race, there are a higher amount of blacks on welfare compared to whites, Just pointing out fact.

Hows that liberal arts degree treating you?

>I haven't had boiled potatoes, that sounds bland as fuck.

>Redpill me on _____
Fuck off back to /pol/ before you shoehorn politics into everything like you guys always do /pol/tard

>It's a meal you serve for get-togethers and parties
That's what he said.

you get to put on a bib and make a royal mess. whats not to love.

The only one who's shoehorned politics in this thread is you, hombre.

Yeah, this is not /pol/. Go back to your containment board