Surprisingly loved appliances

Was there an appliance or gadget you got, that surprised you with how useful it was?

Pic related. I bought an extra-large electric griddle for cheap.
Thought it would mainly be for breakfasts, but it ended up being fantastic for food prep, since I can grill huge batches of meat in minutes.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Zojirushi-EA-DCC10-Gourmet-Sizzler-Electric/dp/B00G2TVNCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499567383&sr=8-1&keywords=Zojirushi griddle
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've always wanted a small griddle but never had the counter space.

Two items I have been using in ways I didn't originally think of at the time are my ceramic grater and boston shaker. Tend to use my ceramic grater for not only ginger and garlic but other foods such as tomatoes. Surprisingly handy.

Also bartend so I am used to adding eggs to drinks. Now I use my shaker at home to make a quick batter or just a basic egg mixture. Only downside is needing to keep a solid grip on any batters so it doesn't pop open from the yeast.

I got a mortar and pestle as a gift and gave it a go. I'm surprised by how much I prefer it over grinders. Yes it's more work but you can control the consistency which I really appreciate.

Plus bitches think it's fancy.

They're not as good but you can use these on your stove.

>I've always wanted a small griddle but never had the counter space.

The one I bought is a 'Presto 22 Inch with removable handles'.

I usually cook with it resting on my stove top, I'll use my counter only if I need to use a stove element at the same time.

For storage, you can pop off the temperature control bit, and the handles. I'll then lean the main griddle pan sideways in a cupboard, so it doesn't require much storage space.

I'd post my blender, but I wasn't surprised. I spent $400 because I already knew how useful it would be.

The air popper I got for roasting coffee also pops corn pretty well.

I received a $300 Breville blender as a gift less than 2 years ago, and I'm somewhat disappointed with it.

The chrome finish is chipping off of the base, and food constantly gunks up the rubber ring and around the blade insert.

The 'Tritan' plastic jug used to be clear as glass, but it now looks constantly grimy, even after a thorough hand-wash.

It still functions well, but it looks like crap on my counter.

I got a griddle too for Christmas 2015. Thing is fucking great, I use it for everything.

If you want something that isn't shit, get a Vitamix, Blendtec, or part-Chinese (pitcher is U.S. and blade is Japan) clone like a CleanBlend. Blendtec's blade assemblies eventually leak bearing lubricant out the bottom, but after the warranty expires you can get third party pitchers with replaceable blade assemblies. Most bearings can run pretty dry for a long time.

Bretty good idea senpai

Rice cooker

I never would have thought I'd get so much use out of this but damn do I love my deep frying pan. I make a lot of stewed/saucy recipes and being able to brown meat and veg in one pan without having to transfer them to a pot is a goddamn lifesaver

I use my panini grill at least once a day, it makes it easier to make a grilled cheese than to boil water and make ramen, so it gets used often to make the one or two zero-effort meals a busy day requires

i just got a 60$ ninja blender from costco
i hope its good i got it for protein shakes

i want a decent griddle, which should I get?

Food processors changed my life.

I know it's goofy infomercial tier but I love my damn red copper pan, it's so easy to clean and gets hot as a motherfucker without making my sauces stick.

this changed my life

I still occasionally watch the magic bullet infomercial, it's almost Billy Mays tier

Agree with OP. I have a flat piece of cast iron that fits over two burners and I couldn't live without it. What's that? You want 75 pancakes in 15 minutes? Done with 3 minutes to spare.

I am interested in this. I, unlike many people here, love teflon and think it has some very PERFECT applications, such as frying an egg or sauteeing some onions... These have always interested me.

I actually have one of these fucking things and I can vouch for this user.

a knife

no more pulling things apart with my fingers or karate chopping them

such a life saver

OP here.

The Presto 22 Inch that I picked up is fairly good for the $50 price, although after heavy use for almost two years, the non-stick coating has flaked off in a few tiny places.

My next griddle will probably be a material like stainless steel, or there's the Zojirushi griddles that are ceramic:
amazon.com/Zojirushi-EA-DCC10-Gourmet-Sizzler-Electric/dp/B00G2TVNCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499567383&sr=8-1&keywords=Zojirushi griddle

I bought a griddle with a reversible plate (grill/flat)
Absolutely fucking worthless. Cooks everything unevenly as shit and takes ages to heat up.

This fucking thing.
Absolutely useless.

foreman grills are GOAT

>normie
Clearly you don't know what that means.
Fucking idiot.

my dad bought a griddle but rarely uses it. i've been thinking of using it to make burgers on.

>hamilton beach

well yeah spend more than $20 on shit if you expect it to do anything.

Does anyone have a pressure cooker? I was thinking of picking one up, but I don't know if it's worth it.

This immersion blender

Obvious use to blend soaps like cream of broccoli which makes it worth it all on it's own.

I also use it to make super speedy hollandaise sauce, mayo, whipped cream, all types of sauces, smoothies.

Comes in handy pretty often, the whisk and food chopper attachments are also nice.

Whole set was a little over $40, but you can get them cheaper.

Oh - used it last week to make guac and refried beans for nachos :D

I remember watching it with a bunch of my cousins. It's pretty comfy

That little beauty got me through college living in the dorms. Working in the cafeteria I'd miss dinner by working but raided the fuck out of the walk ins.

I second this, I have one, it's the shit. I love it deeply.

Next time you've got some extra money get a spoon. I got a fork first and it makes ice cream or soup a nightmare.

This. I always grill shitty hotdogs with mine.