What uncommon spices are you using? I prefer cumin and oregano. What are your favorite picks?

What uncommon spices are you using? I prefer cumin and oregano. What are your favorite picks?

Fish sauce is also a protip.

>cumin and oregano
>uncommon
The only things more common than those are salt and black pepper.

I use quite a bit of mustard powder in my savory dishes. While not that uncommon, it's still not as common as one might think.

Also saffron.

I substitute celery salt for salt quite often.

>uncommon spices
>cumin and oregano
Uncommon where? The midwest? You flyovers crack me up.

>
Sumac. Use it on fish, chicken and veggies.

All my spices are pretty common. Got some thai basil from a farmer's market last week. I don't know if it's any better than the sweet basil I get for free from my dad's yard.

Pic related

Do you pay for it or just take it when you find it?

It's literally monosodium glutamate powder.

Toasted fennel seeds. Which reminds me that I need to make more. I fucking love this in lots of beef dishes.

Only stupid poor people eat beef.

I'm Vegan!

I been getting into thousand island dressing a lot lately. even made some meatballs using it. Fried them and ate them with my hands

Garlic and onion lad

How are cumin and oregano uncommon? How does this thread even work?

I suppose the most "uncommon" spice I use is freshly ground black pepper, because everywhere I go seems to only have pre-ground sawdust.

>cumin and oregano
>rare
On a scale of Snooki to Casey Anthony, how white are you?

WAT?

>How are cumin and oregano uncommon? How does this thread even work?
OP means "not salt or pepper"

I'm not an American you mong.
I know people in Mexico use a lot of cumin to avoid farts after eating beans.

Yes, uncommon != rare

Sumac grows all over so you can just take some and no one will miss it.

It don't grow where I live, mug.

Not in northern Europe.

Where's that?

NZ

is zaatar uncommon?

Given that I don't know what that is, yes.

I'm your kind of cultural rebel, OP. I like to use paprika, cayenne, and ginger. Maybe you've heard of them? They're kind of obscure.

In all seriousness, the least common thing I use are probably either curry leaves or file powder, and both aren't things I use often.

Yes, but the constituents are common.

Wiri wiri chilis
Fenugreek
Mangosteen root
Bishop
Yerba mate powder
Kaffir lime leaf powder
Cubeb pepper

I'm also a pro, so I have access to almost anything I want on someone else's dollar.

"a condiment made from the dried herb, mixed with sesame seeds, dried sumac, and often salt, as well as other spices."

I use marijuana in some of my more 'higher' class meals. Really makes my meals stand out.

takes them to a higher level, correct?

>uncommon
>cumin and oregano
Ok

I've been using a lot of dried spinach lately, not really a spice but the concept doesn't seem very common.

Hell yeah enugreek and kaffir lime leaf are the top tier uncommon spices

Fenugreek and Kaffir lime leaf are the most common out of that list.

What does the dried spinch even add?

To the top friend

nutritional yeast, brewer's yeast, marmite

>cumin and oregano
>uncommon
Man, that's like saying adobo is uncommon in Hispanic cooking or like MSG is uncommon in shitty chink cooking

That said, I do love me some recaito in my chicken soup. (Basically a spicy cilantro-based sofrito) Not sure if that counts as a spice, but I digress.

a dried spinach flavor

In terms of flavourants

African fermented oil seeds, sassafras, grains of paradise, miso, mirin, coconut aminos, tamarind, ground up caramelized fennel bulb, holy basil, African oregano, yuzu zest, pink peppercorns because they grow out here, cassareep, kelp, baobab leaf, Vietnamese lemon leaf, toothache plant, etc...

I'll cook with bitter raw chocolate in savoury dishes as well.

Laphet, oilpalm fruit cream, torch ginger blossom, fermented chili pastes, hing, meads

Can't really think of anything else at the moment but basically I either produce or source my own products.

They end up in various purees or stews topping rice, fufu or injera.