Anyone here had any experience with cutting processed sugar out of their diet? How did it affect you?

Anyone here had any experience with cutting processed sugar out of their diet? How did it affect you?

Other urls found in this thread:

circ.ahajournals.org/content/109/21_suppl_1/II-2
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2639785/
academic.oup.com/jcem/article/86/2/713/2841063/Insulin-Resistance-and-Cardiovascular-Disease1
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13718642
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18129862
youtube.com/watch?v=xiUNNJrTDRQ&feature=youtu.be
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3707720/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2246086/
circ.ahajournals.org/content/116/2/151?ijkey=3be29ecee48a55877c04dce043defff6a77f1da3&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha
australiannationalreview.com/world-renown-heart-surgeon-speaks-heart-disease/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25670820
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I lost a hundred pounds, my hair grew back, my gf unfucked that black guy, and I have an erection that, to date, has lasted 18 months.

Fewer naps, digestive issues, and feelings of grimeyness

>less acne/skin related problems
>don't feel groggy and disgusting all the time
>taste buds actually enjoy less intense foods like green vegetables and natural sugars
>not fat

bretty good feel t b h

Did it as part of a diet, lost some weight and my taste got a lot more sensitive to anything sweet. Not much else changed. Also cut added salt and fat with the same results. It's really interesting actually.

I didn't even know it before I got over it for the most part, but often times got these "downer" moments usually between 2 and 5pm where I felt completely out of energy and not even coffee would work. Turns out that's because I had fairly high sugar intake, and my body had gotten used to getting some sugar in it to keep going. Coffee didn't work, but a cookie did

Toning it down isn't fun, but it's doable. Depending on your approach and current consumption, the first 2 weeks can be hell. I quit more or less cold turkey and I was listing over som chocolate like made

Easiest way to deal with those cravings is to have something like and apple when you have the cravings. It kinda teaches your body that it'll have to work through some extra fibers and such before getting to the sugar, and there's less actual sugar in it as well. The apple strat worked very nicely for me

Now I only have a bit of dark chocolate and that's about it. It used to be a can of coke of day, plus cookies, plus chocolate, and maybe some other treat at home.

Yup. Only whole plant foods unless I'm traveling/socializing. I buy bananas by the 40-pound box so I can always have a hoard in my freezer, and I keep some dates around. Fruit has fiber and nutrients which slow sugar absorption.

When i started smoking weed i began getting cravinga for stuff, and since i spent the money i had on weed i couldn't afford too many processed snacks, not that i really liked them anyway since anything sweet tasted ultra sweet when i smoked. I started eating stuff like frozen fruits and vegetables because i liked the texture. Over time i began to get more sensitive to sweets. I didn't lose any weight or anything, since i wasn't fat to begin with, but i started using less salt in my cooking since i became used to blander flavors. I shouldn't even say bland, the flavors are just more subtle.

It really improved my life. I've reduced my sugar intake significantly and since then I'm steadily losing around 2 pounds per month (from BMI 25 to 22 by now) without any changes to the rest of my diet.
Before I was always tired after dinner and often needed to take a nap which fucked up my regular sleep cycle. Now I can stay active the whole day and sleep better at night.

As others already have written - be prepared for some sugar cravings. Have some apple, banana or nuts at hand until your body has adapted and the cravings go away. Also be aware that sugar is addictive - the cravings may be back even after some month when you watch someone eating something sugary.

I went keto nearly a year ago, I was prediabetic and had high blood pressure at the time.
Here's some stuff I noticed:
>Lost 60 lbs (so far)
>No more depression/anxiety, mood in general is a lot more stable
>Sleep better
>No more joint pain (disappeared 2 weeks in, so it wasn't the weight causing it)
>Blood pressure normal
>HBA1C Now normal
>Much more energy, can walk for hours without feeling the least bit tired and feel like I could go forever
>Noticeable and hard to ignore satiety signals
>Hunger is easier to ignore, can fast if I want to
>Much longer time between getting hungry

Also noticed that even though I'll occasionally make a keto dessert (mug cake, mocha cheesecake bar, smoothie, etc) I don't crave them and can have just one piece and put the rest away.

Other things I've noticed when I accidentally eat something with sugar/starch (like eating something with corn starch or flour in the sauce, etc):
>Mood tanks
>get tired
>Occasionally heartburn
>Joint ache returns

Over all, I decided I'll just stick with it forever, as I feel loads better doing it. My doctor also said since my bloodwork and CRP test results keeping coming back good I should just continue it and he's not worried about it.

I took up studying the science of nutrition and related issues (cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc) because it's so fascinating and the more I learn about it the more I feel like I made the right decision for myself.
Sugar does not mix well with some people, especially if you have a history of diabetes in your family.

Keto is a shit lifestyle, it's only good to lose weight. If you're normal weight now you should go back to a normal diet with vegetables, fruits and whole grains. It's just the junk food and added sugars that need to be avoided, which is fairly easy if you cook for yourself.

I'm not a normal weight now, and no that won't work for me. Some berries, sure. I already eat vegetables. But "healthy whole grains" make me put on water weight like mad, and make me feel like shit.
I've already experimented with what I can and can't eat and I'm sticking with keto, thanks.

I love the food I make, it's satisfying, and keeps me healthy. Not really sure why you say it's only good for losing weight. It's not as if on keto you don't eat vegetables, I eat plenty of them. I just cook them in coconut oil, and avoid shit like potatoes.

Well coconut oil is pretty bad actually (which I doubted at first but I stopped buying coconut products except plain raw flakes) and the ridicuously low carbohydrate limit really doesn't allow for many vegetables/fruits. I think the recommended amount is 400g. Water weight shouldn't be an issue actually, it probably just is because you've stuck to your current diet for some time.

Just saying, any diet is better than being obese but keto certainly isn't the final solution.

>400g of carbs per day
Yeah, no. And I can and do eat plenty of vegetables. Spinach, kale, asparagus, snow peas, some tomato, berries, cauliflower and broccoli, nuts, etc
The "coconut oil is bad" thing is basing it off of "saturated fat is bad" which is based off of decades old "research studies" (Ancel Keys 7 countries study where he omitted 20 others because they didn't match his results).
You can induce atherosclerosis by injecting high amounts of insulin into rabbits and dogs. Do more research into it before just accepting outdated ideas that have very good rebuttals.

The other issue is my problem is not just obesity (or in my case, obesity caused by insulin resistance). It's also diabetes in my future if I'm not extremely careful. I was already pre-diabetic, and my warning signs for heart disease were high. Those have now gone away on keto, but they WILL come back if I reintroduce high carb.
I measure my blood sugar with new foods, I've tested with wheat, beans, pineapple, banana, chickpeas, peanuts, etc. Anything that elevates my blood sugar and keeps it there for too long has to go because it puts my risk of regaining and worsening diabetes much higher.

It's not just being fat, dude, and I've already considered all you're saying. I've even increased my net carb amount from 20g to 50g and stalled out and started regaining weight again (not just water weight at that point).

Different limits for different people. Different concerns. I've tested them, and come to the conclusion I just have to let some things go for the sake of my own health.

I'd suggest you read something like The Big Fat Surprise, or The Case Against Sugar.
Don't agree with them, just read them and come to your own conclusions. I'm not pulling this out of my ass, I've put hundreds of hours into not just reading books but also reading the latest research, clinical trials, etc.
Wish you well user.

>40 pound boxes of bananas
The fook?

Can you make a vlog as well?

Not 400g carbs, that would be like 70% already, 400g fruits and vegetables. That might work with really caloricly dilute veggies like kale but you should also eat some fruits and then it's virtually impossible to stay in ketosis. Plus there's the thing about the brain needed 130g carbs every day for normal function, even if it can use ketons.

I'm pretty sure I've seen those documentaries (and any docu is not a great source, they always have some bias/message), everybody knows added sugars are bad. You should avoid sugary processed food the same way you should avoid fatty processed foods like bacon.

The saturated fat thing is not old news, there's a ton of modern reserch showing it's still bad and raises LDL (now the idiots even started arguing with "fluffy LDL" like it's not a bad thing, it's only slightly better compared to the dense LDL).

I mean yeah everybody is different, if you're sure about what's healthy for you keep at it but I doubt it's optimal. I still suggest trying to switch diets once you reach normal weight and normal insulin resistence levels (the pancreas does regenerate if you're not type-1 but keto has been shown to hinder that).

But I realised I look like a dick posting about this so I'll stop, godspeed user.

>The saturated fat thing is not old news, there's a ton of modern reserch showing it's still bad and raises LDL (now the idiots even started arguing with "fluffy LDL" like it's not a bad thing, it's only slightly better compared to the dense LDL).
LDL is not linked with heart disease. HDL is linked with being good for heart disease. The only way to increase your HDL relative to something else is saturated fats.

You're misinformed and outdated. Fat was never bad for you.

Very positive effects
> sleep better
> Better skin

But is very bad eat chicken wings with no honey and a miss fried potatos

LDL is literally the single best indicator for heart disease. This has been an accepted fact since the very early 20th century. Saturated fat increases both LDL and HDL which is a bad thing, you want your LDL and total cholesterol as low as possible.

I peel and freeze them when they're ripe.

It's "literally" not. Look for tests and/or studies with an actual sample size and you'll find that LDL is all over the place in people with heart disease. There's absolutely no correlation unless you cherry pick, which surprise surprise, has been the working method of the fats and cholesterol are bad argument the entire time.

Being increasingly overweight a better example of an indicator for heart disease. Inflammation is an actual cause, after all.

HAHA how is diabetes even a thing? nigga just don't eat that shit haha put down the twinkie

Search literally anywhere, google, pubmed, nutrition journal and even youtube if you want. You are arguing against the universal scientific consensus here. Weight is very closely related to cholesterol too by the way, which is one of the reasons why beingoverweight/obese is so unhealthy. You could even argue that high cholesterol IS a direct response to inflammation, one of the main functions of it is repairing damaged arteries/vessels.

can't be true. my total cholesteral is 90 (50 HDL, 40 LDL) and I'm overweight

I sleep better and i have less digestive issues. Also less skin related problems (but cutting dairy products probably helped too).

Well, consider yourself lucky. That doesn't go against anything I said though. Sat fat raises LDL/HDL, period. It's not even a discussion. Maybe a couple indiciduals are less responsive due to genetics but that doesn't matter.

six months after laying off of soda I would literally spit any kind of soda out. The taste now is just nasty. I still eat things with sugar in them from time to time tho. You don't have to be a sperg and cut ALL THE PROCESSED SUGAR out.

Oh also you don't need to hit the je... "general practitioner" to get your cholesterol levels.

Just buy one of these.

I would add fruit juices to that list, its just straight up sugar.

I gained a much better appreciation for naturally sweet foods and developed a more refined sense of taste. Flavors actually taste so much fuller now, like my tastebuds haven't been numbed to all the sugar I was eating before so their back to full capacity.

For sure, keto is not sustainable lifestyle, I went on 3 months and lost 30 pounds but now I just keep it off

When adapted to using ketones, as demonstrated in starvation studies (ketogenic diet was originally made to mimic starvation so children with epilepsy could benefit from the effects of fasting), the brain runs on 75% ketones leaving a need for 30g of glucose.
You could argue that people should eat that much, however your liver can produce glucose from lactate (from red blood cells which produce their own glucose through a fermentation process), byproduct of fat burning, and protein turnover (old protein getting recycled and some is stripped down and turned into glucose for use).

So no, I do not and will not and have no desire to eat 400g of vegetables and fruit every day. There's no reason to, as my brain needs 75% less glucose when in ketosis, and my body can produce the rest.

Sorry, no, you really don't know what you're talking about and you haven't seen the "documentaries" because they aren't documentaries. They're heavily sourced books. The bias doesn't matter when you can flip right to the back and look at what it's citing and verify that these studies exist, and read through the methods section for yourself. The only thing the book does is put the information in one place for you to read through.

The cholesterol thing is outdated as fuck and you really need to look more into it. They keep quoting the same exact shit from several decades ago. The new studies show that cholesterol is NOT an indicator of heart disease. They have done extremely large studies showing that 75%+ of people who come in with cardiac arrest/heart failure have total cholesterol

Saturated fat has not been shown to increase risk of heart disease. This is based off of ancel keys work which was observatory in nature, NOT a clinical trial. In fact, when they DID do a clinical trial involving lowering saturated fat and replacing it with vegetables oils the all cause mortality risk was higher. Not just a tiny bit higher for those avoiding saturated fats, multiple TIMES higher.

Heart disease is not caused by plaque, but rather inflammation in the arteries. Which is best correlated to high insulin levels, which is correlated to high sugar intake.
Not only correlated but studied. You have high insulin/insulin resistance you are far more likely to get heart disease.

How I'm eating is tailored to my medical needs. I need to keep insulin low. 400g of fruit and veg increases my blood sugar, which increases my insulin, which starts me down the path of insulin resistance yet again. I have tested this, via my doctor doing one month trials to see what happens if I go to eating how you describe.
This isn't even unusual. For people with insulin resistance, the ONLY way to keep it at bay is to avoid sugar enough to go into ketosis.
There are entire clinics to devoted to this to help obese and diabetic patients.
And no, keto does not hinder pancreatic repair it HELPS it because too much glucose in the system ends up damaging pancreatic beta cell function (over 5.5 HBA1C).

I am sure this is what's healthy for me, because I have read the research on it, I have read clinical trials and double blind studies, I have worked with my doctor to come to this conclusion as well. My health has never been better, my mood has never been more stable, and when I do go off plan (even with fruits and vegetables like you describe) I backslide and feel like shit.
I am not saying everyone has to eat like I do. If you don't need to, don't. I have already verified multiple times over that this is what optimal looks like for me.
Godspeed to you as well

This will be my last post in this thread as well, because honestly people really don't give a shit about this stuff.
If they are curious, they can already read the two books I mentioned before to get started or read studies up front.

Sage for meta post

>I buy bananas by the 40-pound box

That's what I'm thinking every time I do it. I also swipe all the discounted uglies from other places if they have any when I'm there.

not that much

OP asked about cutting sugar, not about going /nofap/

could you post a study about the artery inflammation from high insulin being the main culprit of heart disease, I've never heard that before, thanks

I'm trying. It's tough.

Inflammation and heart disease:
circ.ahajournals.org/content/109/21_suppl_1/II-2

Insulin resistance and atherosclerosis:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2639785/

academic.oup.com/jcem/article/86/2/713/2841063/Insulin-Resistance-and-Cardiovascular-Disease1
"Four large prospective studies (25–28) have shown that hyperinsulinemia is a predictor of coronary artery disease (CAD), with a few prospective reports not demonstrating such a relationship. The greatest association of hyperinsulinemia with CAD has been found in Finland in a population with a very high frequency of CAD (25). Results of a prospective investigation of 2103 men from Quebec (29) clearly showed that high fasting insulin concentrations are an independent predictor of CAD."

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13718642
Dogs were made diabetic and then injected with insulin in the leg - developed atherosclerosis in the leg the insulin was injected at

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18129862
Same thing happened with rabbits

youtube.com/watch?v=xiUNNJrTDRQ&feature=youtu.be
Ivor Cummins explaining the relation

Dr Gerber, who treats people with heart disease at his clinic, has also commented that over the thousands of people he has treated he has never once found a cardiac patient with low insulin, if you want to look him up as well.

Here's another in which they actually directly studied this, and found insulin resistance increased risk of heart disease over 2x
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3707720/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2246086/
" In addition, the inflammatory marker C-reactive protein (CRP), a non-specific acute phase reactant, is commonly elevated in human insulin resistant states"
CRP related to insulin resistance in humans

circ.ahajournals.org/content/116/2/151?ijkey=3be29ecee48a55877c04dce043defff6a77f1da3&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha
"Impaired fasting glucose (HR 2.5, 95% CI 1.2 to 5.1) were independent predictors for CVD mortality ... after controlling for lipid-lowering medication use, and total cholesterol:high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio."
In other words just having high glucose will increase your risk for heart disease 2.5 times higher than it is for someone with normal glucose no matter WHAT your cholesterol numbers are, or whether you take a statin.
(Keep in mind impaired fasting glucose = insulin resistance, which necessitates high insulin).

australiannationalreview.com/world-renown-heart-surgeon-speaks-heart-disease/
Could argue appeal to authority here (everyone has an opinion) but I link it so I can quote him here:
"What does all this have to do with inflammation? Blood sugar is controlled in a very narrow range. Extra sugar molecules attach to a variety of proteins that in turn injure the blood vessel wall. This repeated injury to the blood vessel wall sets off inflammation. "

Which fits with people with IR (chronically high insulin and cells no longer responding to the "take this glucose so it isn't in the blood any longer" signal) having much more inflammation and thus much more risk for CVD.

Oh yeah and this is shown in the Ivor Cummins vid, but thought it's worth pointing out.
So yes, IR increases risk of CVD by 2.5x, but what about the reverse? How likely is it for people with CVD to have IR?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25670820
This demonstrates that when tested for signs of diabetes:
>30% Had high fasting blood glucose (indicator of insulin resistance)
>66% Had high HBA1C (indicator of insulin resistance/prediabetes/diabetes)

The other third could also have had high fasting insulin, but we just don't know because they didn't test it, or they could have displayed patterns 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the kraft insulin test which are highly accurate tests for diabetes - again don't know.
But 2/3s of the several thousand tested with coronary artery disease had insulin resistance (meaning high resting insulin).

felt like shit for 3 days

then felt great thereon out