Other than

Other than
>befriend your butcher
What's the cheapest way to get the meaty bones for a good beef stock? Chicken's easy enough to get parts and debone, but I've resorted to things like saving my bones off good steaks, buying marrow bones from the chinese grocery, or 2-dollar flap steaks when marked down.

There's got to be a simpler way. Any cheap cuts to request the grocery store butcher counter to order?

I buy a rotisserie chicken. Usually have two meals with chicken breast and green beans. Then I pick the rest of the meat, make a quick stock with carcass, then a soup. 3-4 meals off $10 works for me.

right but OP wants to make beef stock.

I'd combine marrow bones with beef shank

Chicken is beef.

ask restaurants for their scrap. do some dishes in exchange.

I honestly don't think you need to befriend your butcher, just ask if they have bones lying around they wanna part with

In my country the grocery stores usually sell bones in the meat aisle too, exactly for stuff like stock and shit

why did the beef cross the road?

Asian markets are the best bet. They always have a good supply of marrow bones. It will often be mexican beef but that doesn't have the hormones and antibiotics that US beef has and is more likely to have not been fattened up with sugared grains prior to sale. The best deal for tough cuts and scrap.

Here's what I do:
I go to the supermarket.
I go to the butcher'counter.
I ask for 2 knees, quartered.
The butcher runs the knees through the bone saw.
The butcher rinses the knees of possible bone fragments.
The butcher weighs the knees and prints out a pricing sticker.
The butcher wraps, twines and labels the knees with a sticker.
The butcher hands me the packaged knees.
I walk over to the tills.
I pay the till girl for the knees.
I take the knees home.
I make beef stock.
It's difficult, I know, but you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

Don't got any full-cow butchers near me. Hence the asking.

I've tried going to the local butchers here in flyover east Tennessee and they all apologize and say their meats are processed elsewhere and sent to them.
I'm thinking of finding the owners of the Vietnamese restaurant nearby and sing where they get bones for pho

Not sure any retail butcher deals in full-cow butchery, but pretty sure they all deal in sides. Just ask. I know the set up for the supermarket nearest me isn't very common in most stores in the US, but you can see pork carcasses and beef sides hanging in the cold area behind the butcher's counter. Other supermarkets try to hide that, lest their customers be reminded that they intend to eat an animal, but I'm pretty sure they still get sides in and the butchers process them out of view.
So seriously: just ask. You might have to ask the department manager, but you'll never know until ya ask.

>doesn't butcher anything
>is still called a butcher
Is this a candlestickmaker who identifies as a transbutcher or something?

They have to order their cuts which are pre-processed. Didn't even have beef short ribs without my asking. Wouldn't think they'd have an uncommon cut like knee, even if they could order.

See How the fuck can they call themselves 'butchers' if they don't actually butcher anything?
They're just stockboys in aprons if they don't do any actual butchering, for shit's sake!
I'm sorry for your plight, bro. Wish I could send you some knees. ):

Will keep the knee thing in mind if I do drive the 20+ minutes out to an actual butcher. Otherwise it's a chain grocery store, not a butcher shop. Just like those who work in the deli don't actually cure or smoke their own meats. They do, however, do minor things like grinding meat, and butchering smaller things (I'd be surprised if they even start with primals though).

The supermarket nearest me, where you can see the sides hanging, isn't a chain, but even the chain supermarkets in my area deal with sides and can accomodate requests. The only reason I don't get my knees there, though, is because the sides they get have the legs cut off at the knee, or so I've been told, because "nobody eats those parts here."
The close supermarket, though, has the whole side with knees, shins and hooves intact.

Is that a picture of a bunch of West Indians in jab-jab?

Do not recall, 'ol chap.

Do any spanish speakers know how to do this at a carniceria?
I live in a Mexican neighborhood and all the grocery stores are too poor for butcher counters.

probably could just google translate cow, knee, and quartered