I have around $150 to spend on a new knife

I have around $150 to spend on a new knife.
Recommend me stuff you own or have used around that price

Other urls found in this thread:

kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/12791-The-quot-Which-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2
chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara2.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Dz7RzOiTlM8
chefknivestogo.com/toprgy27.html
japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-gyuto-210mm/
youtube.com/watch?v=YyGdhvtklc8
youtube.com/watch?v=3XW-XdDe6j0
amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-45520-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B008M5U1C2
shop.americastestkitchen.com/essential-knife-set.html
express.co.uk/news/world/675340/Turkey-birth-control-women-s-rights-Recep-Tayyip-Erdogan
independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/turkey-erdogan-germany-netherlands-warning-europeans-not-walk-safely-a7642941.html
amazon.com/Traditional-S5198-Chinese-Wooden-Handle/dp/B004NG9B52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499893376&sr=8-1&keywords=chan chi kee
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

150 $1.50 bags of 1,000 plastic knifes in each bag.

You'll never need knifes again

I own a knife similair to this one

and this one

looking for something that'll actually be able to cut though stuff that's not butter

Start by telling us what you like to cook? Do you make dishes with mainly vegetables, or do you chop up lots of meat too? Do you have any sharpening equipment? Do you feel like taking care of carbon steel? How big do you think your hands are?

>buying 150 of $1.50 bags with $150

I mostly use knives for veggies and mushrooms etc. I work in a kitchen and usually bring my own knives so i need something that can take a bit of a beating. My hands are fairly big, i've tried global knives but the handles and the blade is too thin. I like the idea of a japanese knife. I've used shun and they're very nice

Nakiris and santokus are generally recommended for veggie prep, with the santoku being a little more versatile with its point. At $150 you can start investigating carbon steel knives. They will hold a finer edge and keep it for longer, but you do have to watch out for rust. The other thing you mentioned is preferring thicker blades. Upper-end Japanese blades are designed to be thinner and lighter since this lets you cut things finer without sideways pressure, and it makes it easier to control. If you're worried about how this affects the blade strength for heavy duty prep then just use a thicker western knife for those tasks.

I dont mind a thin blade, as long as the handle has some thickness to it

>At $150 you can start investigating carbon steel knives
On the contrary, good carbon knives are a lot cheaper than good stainless knives

If rust or reactivity (like with onions) is not a big concern, and the budget is less than $150 or so, I wouldn't get anything BUT carbon

If you want a decent stainless cooking knife that won't make you hate your life, you want either something fine grained like AEB-L or a PM steel knife, from a good (this almost always means Japanese) manufacturer

There's a reason Japanese brands are so popular and it's because they offer a much wider variety of modern steels and knife styles compared to Germany which is basically stuck in the 1950s and everything is X50CrMoV15 (not the worst thing possible but basically optimized for not shattering when it's been abused by idiots, as opposed to having good properties for a cook)

You can get some variety from American knife makers but they tend to be pointlessly expensive and often have stupid "innovative" shit like bike handles or deer antlers instead of proper handles, which results in questionable ergonomics and unnecessary markups

Whereas Japanese knives are meant to be used, what might cost you $500 from an American brand would be maybe $175-200 from Japan, because this isn't some neckbeard blacksmith doing one knife at a time, they're doing stuff in batches and it might have just a plain micarta handle or something along those lines.

I would recommend you stop being a retard who considers spending $150 on a knife

that, and the fact that "support American manufacturing" is basically dog whistle for "kill all the brown people"

especially for stuff like knives where the small makers tend to live in very right wing areas and actively support causes that infringe on basic human rights

most of my knives I get from Japanese ebay sellers, kind of gives me the willies to support a business that would probably rather see my head on a stick

>most of my knives I get from Japanese ebay sellers, kind of gives me the willies to support a business that would probably rather see my head on a stick

That's rather ironic, given as the Japanese are extremely racist towards other Asians, and non-asians might as well not even be human beings to them. Your choice of knife seller is no better than your "dog whistle" fantasy.

who gives a shit if they're racist if they're on the other side of the globe and can't vote in the US

my issue is helping people who vote and support vile causes here, in America, where I live

Learn how to sharpen a knife on a whetstone and strop and you can buy fucking tin garbage that will cut like a razor.

I used to break my wrist on an oil stone back when I worked in a wood shop. Then I switched to whetstone so cutlery. Still the polishing was hard on the wrists. Now I used a professional machine that does the work and a strop with jewelers rouge/polishing compound.

Those shitty farberware knives cost $2.80 a piece. I meant to give them away as gifts. Now I'm stuck with them and sharpen them once every 2 years. I made 3 into a gift for my friend and wrapped them in cardboard sheaths. He pulled one out like he was Thor and cut his thumb down to the bone. So fuck that. I will never give another one away.

Fill this out: kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/12791-The-quot-Which-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2

>Chef'sChoice now with more Trivox™
Good taste user

Most useful advice.
I prefer the handheld sharpener where you just drag the blade through.

As far as brands go, I've had really good luck with wusthof and victorinox. They don't rust, they last for years, and they have a lot of options based on your style and budget.

Are you talking about a V sharpener? Those things are satan's tits.

You can never go wrong with a wusthof santoku. Feel it in your hands, you want something light but not too light (depends on preference) I have a wusthof Santoku, I've worked in kitchens and that knife will last you.

Yeah, I didn't know what the fuck they were called.
I just think they make sharpening really simple and effective compared to other methods. I usually test the sharpness of the blade by slicing a tomato.

Those goddamn things are only used on camping knives. They ruin every blade they touch. If you're going to use a piece of garbage like that just use a knife steel steel, or a knife steel ceramic.

If you're playing with that much money I'd go with chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara2.html

Gyutos are well rounded, all purpose chef knives, and Fujiwara makes some great entry-level examples of them. With the money left over buy some stones as well, especially if you use it often.

Don't fall for the memes about weeb steel being shit, /pol/fags are just mad they weren't born Japanese.

have you ever spent any time on a sharpening stone? You need to be rigid plyable. You need to watch the water that comes out of the leading edge to know if you're on the right plane. If you're never taught how to sharpen a blade you'll round that blade off and end up with a useless expensive piece of metal. Don't buy anything you can't service.

I have a 1000/6000 water stone that I got for sharpening my japanese chef knife

is it possible to be so bad at sharpening you dull the knife? I did watch videos and I did practice on some of my cheaper knives. but this knife was recently professionally sharpened, but I can't seem to get it back to that level.

YouTube for that

yeah man, you can rock your edge so hard it ends up round. you need a autistic level of muscle tendon reaction to not round your edge. You need to look at your leading edge and just see a small dribble of water coming from it at that angle and you need to marry that angle for many strokes. It's tough, but you can learn it. You relax into it after a while.

Could just leave if it's so bad there. I'll trade you my Canuck citizenship for yours.

Interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dz7RzOiTlM8

Look at his repetitive actions. You start from the angle of your blade and you turn yourself into a machine.

after you get the feel for making a flat edge you feel for the burr. You create a burr, then you cut off the burr. Then you make the burr again, and you cut off the burr. That shapes the microsection of you blade. Then you take that burr down from 400 to 800 to 1200 and you polish it. But don't polish it too much because the burr is what cuts through tomatoes. You end up with an 8000 polished burr, that can't cut shit, or it'll razor off your entire hand.

You lose the micro burr when you finish at 12000. That's a shaving razor. You don't need that shit unless you're cutting sushi all day.

Get a global. Good weight and they hold an edge like a motherfucker.

I have a shun and while i do love it, it takes a bit more upkeep than I care to do.

WTF I love American manufacturing now

I was gonna suggest the same thing. My first knife was a wusthof santoku. It's a beast for veggies. I kind of forgot about it since I have so many other knives now but I found it when cleaning a few weeks ago and it's back in my home kitchen for daily use.

Newbies tend to make the mistake and spend way too much on a knife thinking it would make them a better cook. A good chef knows that a knife can be bought cheap from ikea for example. Once it is dull, throw it away and buy a new one.

Solingen steel.
German made knife, best chef knife ive ever had. Beats a lot of much more expensive jap knifes.

chefknivestogo.com/toprgy27.html

why would I leave? just because I don't want to help people who are actively trying to make this country worse?

I'm trying to make this country better, because it's my home

>Filthy gaijin thinks we don't hate whites

>we
you're not japanese, I'm not white, stop pretending it's still 1944. germany has neo-nazis, japan has ultranationalists, but neither of those make america a worse place.

buy japanese knives, people. please do not support american blacksmiths.

do you have a good end grain butcher block cutting board? if so, spending $150 on a knife is not only a bad idea, but retarded

i'm going to expand on that: spending $150 on a knife is retarded

>don't support your countrymen because i am a liberal faggot who wants refugee dick

jesus, it's impossible to escape you fucking people these days

Can you feel how thick the irony is that you assume an entire group of people (all american knifemakers) is 100% bad based on a trait you assume that entire group to have with no empirical evidence, because you want to combat bigotry? Mabey you were born with some kind of mental disability, but stop shouting your worthless opinions over and over before you make yourself look even more disabled.

europeans can worry about european problems, freaking out about refugees isn't really a thing in america other than in some delusional fringe subcultures
not all, just enough where it's not worth the risk. I'm not worried about "bigotry" per se, you can feel and think however you want. the actions are what concern me, and I won't help you if you take action against me.

I'd say you're off to a good start, complaining pointlessly in a thread about knives. you're doing fine work lad, maybe your next step up would be to start a thread on Reddit then you'd really be on your way to making the country better.

do you realize how stupid you sound?
do you know what board this is?

but then he wouldn't be able to fulfill his anime chef fantasy, duh.

Not worth the risk? You sound like a /pol/tard bitching about the border wall. "Why help anyone in our own back yard when some of them might be Bad Hombrés?" You are far too conceded to see how flawed your logic is. At this point i'm just going to assume this is bait.

you realize this "pointless complaining" is 90% /pol/ trying to explain how I'm wrong because like, Jiro doesn't speak English therefore it's white genocide, all because I made an offhand remark about why it's better to buy imported knives if you live in the US?

I have to go to work now, but all you fentanyl hillbillies can feel free to ruin another food thread if you'd like, I know you've got all day

japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-gyuto-210mm/

Best knife you can get in the $150 range.

Anyone know of some local, American knife makers I can support?

R.Murphy

conceded people are a diamond dozen these days. its concerning, I chock it up to bad education?

It's "a dime a dozen" user, meaning they're so abundant they're that cheap. You were saying the exact opposite.

I was about to tell you off for bullying that guy but, eh.
It's a doggy dog world after all.

Just got this from the amazon lightning deals.
Did I do good? or Did I get scammed by Chinese shit being paraded around as German shit?

You're damn right

youtube.com/watch?v=YyGdhvtklc8

You got fucked

You could just fix the one in the picture.

youtube.com/watch?v=3XW-XdDe6j0

really makes me think

amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-45520-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B008M5U1C2

>buying a $25 knife for $50 because a literal aspie endorsed it 15 years ago after doing a very hasty, poorly thought out review of a half dozen randomly chosen knives
embarrassing

Most of you dumbfucks need to figure out sharpening. That's all you need to do.

I got image fagmiliar for 24 bucks on Amazon today since prime day. It was regular 100 dollars. I hope it turns out to be something I use for a long time. I don't require a Michelin restaurant quality knife for home cooking, but I've never owned a knife that was more than 25 bucks retail. Right now I'm using ceramic knives I got for super cheap, and they are fine. I'm looking forward to owning a real 8" chefs knife for once.

Definitely get something like your pic related, or a gyuto. STAINLESS. I have an Anryu damascus steel that's rotting away before my eyes. No amount of care is enough for high carbon in the kitchen.

what? who did it? also if its 25 show me the 25 dollar alternative.
>15 years ago.

shop.americastestkitchen.com/essential-knife-set.html

I bought 3 knives at walmart for $12.50, they cut stuff and I like the colored handles

get a couple dexter knives, a two grit sharpening stone, and some mineral oil.

real talk dexters own.

the v lo series are the shit and are cheap as fuck at restaurant stores or maybe even on amazon.

I got a Global G-16, a Wustof 6" classic chefs, and a Zwilling 5.5" prep knife all for about $90. You probably won't be able to get the same prices.

You don't need a $100 knife for it to last, but a harder steel will hold its edge longer and the less frequently you have to sharpen it, the less metal you're taking off of it.

Mac MTH-80

$145

thats a fuckin $300 takeda bro, its supposed to look like that out of the box.

/reddit/

yuo pay 40 dorrar eache

idiots who can't handle a sharp knife should be given sharp knives, so sayeth Darwin.

Not him but i can tell you that certain groups are incompatible with living in the west. Muslims i'm talking about. My girlfriend is a teacher, her friend is a teacher in a muslim majority area. She says the boys look at her like she is a piece of meat, they don't treat her like a human being because she is female.

This type of view doesn't belong in the west.

can someone recommend me a good versatile Chinese cleaver for under $70?

Chan Chi Kee

Actually as a regular /pol/ poster i can tell you that the prevailing view is europe for the europeans, asia for the asians, africa for the africans.

The issue the majority of us have is that mass migration is being touted as multiculturalism, but it isn't because true multiculturalism would see people from all countries emigrating to and settling in all other countries. Yet emigration is overwhelmingly from non western countries to western countries.

It is demographic displacement, which has been a declaration of war since at least 60 ADish, when the Gauls attempted to move 100,000 citizens across the Rhine and had to be repelled by Caesar.

Keep dismissing it all you want, but know this. Muslims are moving to the west en-masse, it is a religion that has only been around since the 7th century. And yet there are muslim majority countries all over the world, what do you think happened to the non-muslims from those countries? Do you think they all jut stopped having kids huh? No they were killed or converted, and that has been the M.O. of islam since its inception.

Look at egypt where coptic christians are subject to suicide bombings and gun attacks all the time. The "moderate" muslims say nothing because it's all part of the plan. Outbreed the locals and have the radicals kill them every now and then. If you don't think this is the case look up the record of turkish president recep tayip erdogan who said in a public speech it is every muslims duty to have as many children as possible.

If you have $150 if suggest you use it to hire a math tutor

express.co.uk/news/world/675340/Turkey-birth-control-women-s-rights-Recep-Tayyip-Erdogan

Yet Christianity was just the same not that long ago. Countless countries were Christianized at the point of a sword. And the "have as many children as possible" scheme? The Catholics preach the same.

One group doing it is not justification for another.

Look to other countries around the world from today and in history and you'll see the same process being played out:

Demographic replacement until muslims are the majority, once they reach 50-60% of the country they start imposing laws in line with islamic law. this contines until the country is wholly muslim.

>One group doing it is not justification for another.
Agreed. I wasn't trying to justify anything, I was pointing out that it's hardly unusual or unique.

The thing that I don't understand about the situation goes like this:

I can see that if you were living in one of those war-torn areas of the world then you'd want to get the hell out and move somewhere safe where you don't have to worry about being killed by a rival sect or an oppressive government. So the motivation for wanting to move to the west is totally clear. But why, then, would you try and implement the exact same religious and political system that resulted in the violence that you were fleeing from? Wouldn't you think "gee, this Western Democracy has a hell of a lot better standard of living, healthcare, infrastructure, employment opportunities, and education than the sharia crap we had back home. These guys are clearly doing things a better way, so why don't I assimilate?"

Its the nature of politics as related to islam,the few control the many as they do in all political establishments. The issue is that the sunni-shia divide in islam is never going to go away until islam goes through a revisionist phase like christianity did. Until the quran is taken to be a moral guidance religious book instead of the literally infallible word of god that you cannot deviate from entity it is you will never see the two factions settle down.

The fact that the issues are so fundamental about such a massively important aspect of the religion means that contention and strife will always be reached between one another. This leads to war and infighting and the push of muslims from one area to another. So now there are a whole bunch of new muslims in another country and they want to set up a political party, how do they go about it. Well they need support and the easiest way to get support is to promote islamic views so that other muslims will be drawn to your party. Of course without exception this will be either sunni or shia orientated and so the problem is there from the beginning again. That lines are drawn between the two sects.

This is issue that islam is the great divider and unifier, depending on how you look at it.

I was about to post in this thread, but I forgot money can't buy knives.

So in which country would you rather raise a daughter, a majority Christian one or a majority Muslim one?

>Your daughter loses her virginity at a young age to some fucking loser.
>Your daughter loses her virginity at a young age to some fucking loser then is stoned to death a week after.

I'm a professional chef of 5 years I never spent over 60 bucks on my knives because they all do the same. Don't waste your money on an expensive knife no point unless you're doing specific cuts like sushi or thin cuts

Try using a really well balanced expensive knife with a really nice profile for a couple of weeks and then sharpen it yourself and you'll understand why having a really excellent knife is GOAT
A really good knife will last many years with regular maintenance and will hold it's edge better than a cheap knife.
My 200$ masamoto HC can do volumes more prep than a freshly sharpened 40$ standard kitchen knife that we use in our restaurant, and can make much more precise cuts.
If you don't care about any of that though than you can get by with a good cheap knife, but you'll spend more time trying to maintain it's sharpness

Good timing by erdogan here as he only proves my point. Literally just said that "europeans will not walk the streets safely anywhere" unless he gets what he wants. Proves my point i think that islam and muslims are incompatible with the west given that he is the elected leader of a relatively western muslim majority country.

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/turkey-erdogan-germany-netherlands-warning-europeans-not-walk-safely-a7642941.html

>small makers tend to live in very right wing areas and actively support causes that infringe on basic human rights
Name some of these "basic human rights" so I can have a laugh.

I only buy knives from Walmart and I believe that sharpening knives is a meme. Knives do not need to be sharpened. I'm a pro chef and you are not so that makes my opinion more valid than yours.

seriously, for that money go 2nd hand/used, so much more bang for your buck

that...i...stay in school

sure, how about the fact that they think the 2nd amendment is the only one that exists and that the rest, particularly the 1st, 4th, 14th, 15th, and 24th don't apply unless white and preferably christian

Is this a brand or a variety of knife?

amazon.com/Traditional-S5198-Chinese-Wooden-Handle/dp/B004NG9B52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499893376&sr=8-1&keywords=chan chi kee

Is this what I'm looking for?