Ice cream making

Gonna make this ice cream sorta 'live'
>Soak 80g fruitloops in 484g(2 cups) warmed milk for 30 minutes

Strain out the used up cereal and squeeze as much milk as you can.
Add 130g sugar and a pinch of salt

Blend the milk mixture and pour in 1 tsp stabilizer blend
Or if you don't want to use a stabilizer skip to next step

I've always wanted a cereal milk syrup swirl.
Like the kind of syrup you find in ice cream that stays a liquid at freezing temps.

so far so good

That'd be interesting, if this doesn't turn out cereal-y enough I may try making that.

Add 254g (1cup about) of cream in a pot then add the milk mixture and begin heating while stirring and scraping the bottom.

Continue heating to about 170F then hold at that temperature for 5 minutes.

Let cool and add 2tsp vanilla extract or let the machine cool it down for you like I did and then churn.

Churning will take 20-30 minutes with a home batch freezer
In the meantime break up some fruit loops into smallish pieces and set aside

A few minutes before it's finished add the cereal pieces

When it's finished dump the product into a container and freeze until firm and I'll post a pic when it is scoopable.
I took a taste of it and it was pretty good though fruity pebbles was a stronger flavor in my opinion.

How much better is the machine vs bag inside a bag method? Seems like a pretty expensive alternative.

In my experience and the various ways I've made ice cream a self contained ice cream maker can make ice cream very similar to professional batch freezers but it just takes longer.

To answer the bag in a bag method it freezes more uniformly and gets the perfect amount of air in the ice cream every time.

>I'll post a pic when it is scoopable.
It's been 4 hours, OP. Surely your freezer isn't that garbage.

It takes a surprisingly long time to go from ~20F to 0-5F for ice cream even in a very cold freezer.

While the pieces look nice they still turn soggy despite being added at the very end so I think in the future I will forego them.

I'll tell you what you did wrong OP, because I think you need to keep those fruit loop bits in. It adds texture.

>crush fruit loops
>freeze them a few hours ahead of time
>add when you did, but keep frozen until just about to dump them in

You're welcome.

Noted if I ever make it again I'll try a smaller batch doing that, thanks for the feedback.

You're welcome. If anything, it will probably decrease the amount of time the ice cream needs to cool down since the fruit loop bits won't be room temperature. I freeze my choco chips so they keep shape in cookies better, I figure the same principle should apply to fruit loop bits in ice cream.

You are supposed to put the liquid in the machine cold already, aren't you? Or is the instruction different for the self-freezing machine?

OP has an expensive self-freezing ice cream maker. His machine is probably somewhere around $200-$300 I'd guess. I bought an ice cream maker that requires you to freeze the bowl for 24 hrs for about $50-$60 and that's for a Cuisinart. With some ice and rock salt you could get a plastic one for somewhere around $20, or, as you said, there is the bag inside a bag method or some similar variant.

Your ice cream looks beautiful user!! I have to know what stabilizer you used and if it really helps? I've made a custard base before, and I don't think even that helped. It turns out great at first but once it freezes, it looks nothing like yours and just turns mostly into a block. I can do too mushy or ice block.

I never thought to do this. Thanks for the tip! It doesn't affect bake times or temps?

For best ice cream chilling overnight is best but the self freezing machine's condenser is good enough it only adds about 10 minutes to the churn.
Note: don't put hot in a cold machine that's how you break things.
I got mine on sale for $170ish
Cremodan 30, is a lot easier than weighing out my gum mixture every time

Thanks so much, I'll have to look that up. How much do you use for a 1.5qt batch?

Fruity pebbles ice cream sounds amazing OP

Don't have a pic of it but I made some key lime ice cream the other day with graham cracker in it. Tastes exactly like key lime pie. Used a simple custard base and churned in a cuisinart drum ice cream maker.

Next I'm going to experiment a little. I want to make double bubble flavored ice cream. I know you can buy bubble gum flavoring but I want it to taste like double bubble. I'm thinking I could chop up a bunch of pieces and infuse it when heating the custard base. Or maybe make an extract beforehand by infusing the gum with water or a little vodka.

I'll probably add white chocolate chips for texture.

pls dont make that abomination

pls

suck a dick it's happening

I use 1tsp per quart of finished product so 1.5tsp
Freeze, break up using a mallet and then coffee grinder maybe?

Good thread OP. I hadn't thought of using cereal-steeped dairy for the base before.

enjoy wasting your time and money i guess

it's gonna be awful

I'm afraid leaving the gum in the cream might fuck with the texture. If I infuse it in the cream I'd strain the pieces out before churning

good thing I'm not poor and like experimenting. bubble gum isn't that ridiculous of a flavor. I've had cotton candy/pop rocks flavored at a shop before and I've seen a recipe for toasted hay ice cream.

Why not just use fruity pebbles instead

True. Could still break them up for more surface area for the infusion.
I have before and I prefer it actually, more pronounced flavor.