Meal of the Ancients

What are some of the lesser known recipes that are cooked by ancient cultures all around the world that are still served today? Thinking of experiencing what people in ancient times ate for their meal after a long day out in the field farming or trading

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DYTuNXq1eBk
mentalfloss.com/article/80430/13-offbeat-ancient-recipes-around-world
listverse.com/2016/06/05/10-ancient-recipes-you-can-try-today/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ancients?
Unleavened bread and crudely cooked meat (usually boiled or roasted over an open fire)

Really not that great.

>Thinking of experiencing what people in ancient times ate for their meal after a long day out in the field farming or trading

But why though?

LARPing

In Europe the diet has basically not changed much. Bread, cheese, meat, different types of fruits.

Whatever they could get their hands on for the large majority of the population.

Meat roasted over an open fire is god damn delicious.

Azns ate lots of millet before they figured out how to farm rice reliably and efficiently.

Everyone ate lots of bowls of soggy whole grains.

Get some "wheat berries", stone grind it yourself, and make some dense sourdough.

Almond milk, or amygdalate, was used extensively during the christian dark ages :^)

Did you know grains have been found in 200,000 years old human poop?

Ah, they also ate a lot of fish. The main difference between now and then is that we now use a lot more spice because it's a lot cheaper.

Eat middle eastern food. Flatbread, charcoal lamb, etc

Hey, it's been a while since i've seen that fucking stupid image that reeks of dumb 2005 shit like FARK.

It's known as The Chart, a /r/BadHistory classic.

Refute it then hot stuff. Oh right...you can't. Oh well, enjoy living your life to the tune of rules set down for ancient goat herders.

I know the Native Americans ate a lot of stew and soups with tough cuts of game, wild roots such as carrots, sunchokes, cattails, etc., as well as wild thyme, sage and garlic. The women could put it on a low fire and go about their business of curing skins and hides, sewing clothing and gathering vegetables while the men were either procuring meat or gambling, lel.

The agrarian tribes used their beans, corn and squashes which the women tended. Men had it good in hunterer and gatherer days. Just had to obtain meat. Then you could fuckoff or go on raids for horses to build wealth and status.

Pre 1492... no horses.
I was thinking about big dogs today??

What fucking culture are you even jibbering about? Pick a place, asshole. This is the dumbest shit on Veeky Forums right now.

>Just had to obtain meat.
Oh is that all? Just walk into the jungle and pick up some meat?

Tamales and tacos by ancient mesoamericans

how do you even eat a cattail

This is garum, a condiment believed to have first been used by greeks or romans. Goes well with fish and many other things.

It's basically the oils left floating on top of a basin of fish that has been fermenting in the sun.

Pic related is one of the remains of one of those garum factories. They were present in the middle of cities and the smell they produced were described as one of the foulest thing ever.

Garum was very popular since romans and greeks had very fish heavy diets and it was one of the few if not only condiments both thee poor and rich could buy.

They also made flour from roasted acorns to make bread with. I made some and actually prefer it to regular bread, lacks a bit in moisture but it has a nice nutty/earthy taste and aroma.

Garum also has two surviving distant relatives, in the Asian 'Fish Sauce', and in Englands Worchestershire Sauce

Also, some good world fusion restaurants are porting Fish Sauce over to Italian cuisine now because of how well it works together. Interesting that it fell out of style at all.

"Ancient" means, roughly, everything prior to the Medieval era. Again roughly, it includes prehistory AND antiquity... It doesn't just mean cavemen hitting each other over the head with sticks.

To imply the Romans and Greeks didn't have complicated diets and foodstuffs and recipes is ignorant. Archaeologists have found ancient traces of food, spices, and poop (containing traces of food and spices) at Pompeii, for example, giving evidence for the complexity of Roman cooking. They say the aristocracy then ate better than your average 1st world-country inhabitant now.

You forgot italian colatura di alici

>plow
>horseshoes
>wheelbarrow
>chimeny

Honestly, all of that is enough to make the "dark ages"
leaps and bounds better than antiquity.

OP here, All of this is good and all but are there any specific recipes that can be recreated exactly like how it was before without any fusion of foreign ingredients and spices to a specific culture? For example, pasta before tomatoes arrived in Italy from the New World or Mesoamerican Cuisine without bovine meat, anything that stays true to local traditional Cuisine.

smoked meat is prehistoric.
read the apicius

youtube.com/watch?v=DYTuNXq1eBk

>everything prior to the Medieval era
No, that would be the Classical Era. Ancient would be everything prior to the Classical Era. Conventionally, it is taken to begin with the earliest-recorded Epic Greek poetry of Homer (8th–7th century BC), and continues through the emergence of Christianity and the decline of the Roman Empire (5th century AD - which is conveniently when the Middle or Medieval Era starts)

We just don't have any surviving receipts that old. After the collapse of the Roman Empire, we lost lots and lots of shit.

Well, I did say cultures from around the world, not just The Romans or Greeks, mind you

mentalfloss.com/article/80430/13-offbeat-ancient-recipes-around-world

listverse.com/2016/06/05/10-ancient-recipes-you-can-try-today/

Two questions, does this book also covers the food eaten by the major populace and/or armies and where can I find an English translation of a physical copy of this book

>Human Stew
I shouldn't be surprised but I am

Eat oysters, just like the ancients used to do.

1. Yes
2. Dunno

>Nowhere near an ocean
>Supermarket oysters basically frozen salmonella with a shell
Makes me wish I could go back to Australia again

Plough and chimney

Not him but when they are young you can eat the root. Around that time of year I typically eat at least one every time I go out for fun. Tastes starchy, maybe a little sweet. Pretty good.

i heard the ancient Egyptians didn't figure out how to keep bits of sand out of their flour supply so their bread fucked up their teeth

Bump

No horses and no metal for a pot you are an idiot my friend kill your self

>What is a claypot?
>What are buffalos?

farro mush with meat, fish or vegetables.
farro gets translated to either spelt or hulled wheat, idk which is correct, though google says
>Farro Is Not Spelt, and Spelt Is Not Farro. We've become enamored of whole grains this past year, especially chewy, nutty grains like spelt

something similar that gets eaten today is cornmeal mush with little shrimps, either fried after coating them in flour or peeled and coocked with some oil, salt, parsley

>all pots are metal
Castrate yourself and never reproduce you fucking retard.

In addition to some tribes using clay, the plains tribes used skins and boiled the stews or soups by dropping hot rocks into the bag. It works, try it.