When rising the dough, should I cover it with plastic wrap, or cloth? (or both?)

When rising the dough, should I cover it with plastic wrap, or cloth? (or both?)

Does the cloth need to be damp?

What is the best method?

Plastic wrap. It was the traditional way dating to 1700's france.

>Plastic wrap
>1700's

huh

I use a cloth unless it im putting in the refrigerator for a long time. I use plastic to keep it from drying out in that case. I cant really think why it would matter one way or the other desu

For a rise of an hour or so with active dry yeast a damp cloth is fine. For longer fermentations with dourdough, plastic wrap is the way to go.

I'm making baguettes and the recipe tells you to rise it 12h-14 hours.

Plastic wrap works really nice and is disposable for easy clean up. However, a wet hand cloth or kitchen towel will work just as well, if not better and is arguably better for the environment. I usually use a piece of plastic wrap because i can't be bothered to help save the planet with my busy schedule of baking for my wife and cleaning up around the house and picking her kids up from school and soccer practice.

The other thing to consider is how much of a rise you will get and how big the bowl is. if the dough is going to contact whatever you place over the top when it doubles or triples in size, then I much prefer plastic wrap sprayed with a little pam or other cooking oil. This is all of course my advice on the bulk fermenting portion. For the fridge and long, cold ferments, plastic wrap or a greased ziploc bag is superior because it will stop other odors from the fridge getting into the dough.

For the final shape and proof i have started just letting it sit in a very low oven, uncovered, with a cup of boiling water to keep things nice, warm, and *moist*.

>For the final shape and proof i have started just letting it sit in a very low oven, uncovered, with a cup of boiling water to keep things nice, warm, and *moist*.

you mean after it rose? The boiling water is in a different container?

>picking up her kids from school

subtle

It's nice to be appreciated. Thanks, friend.

Yeah, I usually just stick a pyrex measuring cup of water in the microwave for about 3 minutes and then take it out and set it in the oven next to (about 6 inches from) the bread that is rising. I do the same for short bulk ferments as well because the steam and hot water make the oven nice and warm, which is good for the yeasties to do their thing.

hot

>"The world's first fully synthetic plastic was bakelite, invented in New York in 1907 by Leo Baekeland"

Having a plastic bag that you use regularly is better than applying plastic wrap every time. Saves you a trip or two to the store when your wrap doesn't run out weekly.

You can also find bowls with fitting lids that save you even that effort.

i just use very thick layers of damp paper towels
fuck the environment desu.

I make individual dough tubes by filling condoms and storing them securely in a dark and warm place

Y'all are fools. Just spritz a little bit of water on the sides of the bowl and put a plastic/ceramic plate on top of it so it's totally covered. Keeps it moist and doesn't even dirty the plate. Even if it rises too long and sticks to the plate, oh well, it's easy to clean.

Plastic wrap. Some moisture will still escape if you use a rag, even if it's damp, for a long rise. Especially if you live somewhere dry.

Are you a wizard?

I just use a paper towel.

the point of covering is to keep any random flies or fruit flies from landing on your food.

Five more years celibate and I will be.