Just bought my grail deep fryer on Amazon

Just bought my grail deep fryer on Amazon

How lit and or dank is it

I have had that same model for about 4 years. It is 9/10.
The one thing to keep in mind is that the "Max" fill line is not the maximum amount of oil you can add for frying, that is the maximum amount that will drain into the bottom container without overflowing.
When frying chicken or something else that is fairly large, you will need to add more oil than the Max line.
When done frying and the oil has cooled, just ladle out oil back into the bottle with a funnel until you hit the Max line. Then just turn the knob.
Don't worry though. All of the impurities will be on the bottom and will not go back into the bottle.

I had one before I upgraded to pic related.

It's not bad. It does have the usual problems most home deep fryers do--weak power, and small size. But unlike most home deep fryers with a built in drain, that one actually works pretty well rather than being a complete clusterfuck that causes more problems than it's worth.

Have you ever overflowed it from frozen wings etc?

Why would I cook frozen wings?

Fresh made tastes better, and doesn't drop the temp of the oil as much so you get better texture too.

Enjoy your cancer and accelerated aging if you don't die from heart disease first.

Hmm. I'll try some fresh, thanks user

I have never overflowed mine, nor have I cooked frozen wings.
The Max fill line is about 4 inches below the top. I have never had to add more than about 1/2" past the Max line, so I have never had oil come closer than ~3" from the top.

You're going to die from your own self fulfilling obsession. It's always funny watching health nuts decay into suffering and dust. They always end up with all the "weirdest" cancers. Or live a sickly life of fibromyalgia

i bought a deep fryer and thought it was going to be an obesity machine but to my pleasant surprise i recently lost 25 lbs without even trying

it makes sense when i thought about it because of all the stuff i never eat any more because of it

after the initial novelty wore off and i stopped deep fried literally everything,
i now never EVER buy
>potato or corn chips
>fast food
>any and all greasy fried restaurant food

because i can make all that shit 1000x better at home. i use it once or twice a week, usually in the form of fresh cut fries or corn chips

what do you do with the oil after you make fish? have you ever deep fried anything?

i don't eat fish
but if i did i'd probably wait until it was nearly time to change the oil and then do the fish in the nearly too old oil, then throw it away

Aside from freeing up a burner, how is this better than my big iron pot?

fatfuck/10

Mozzarella sticks my dude. The only good reason to have this. Way safer than stovetop frying.

Safer how?

And what about mozzarella sticks? How are they better in that fryer?

It has a thermostat inside it which keeps your oil at the perfect temperature. The better ones have the heating element directly inside the oil rather than under the bottom of the container. That heats more efficiently which means the oil temp is even more stable.

>>Safer how
It's impossible to accidentally spill oil onto a hot hob and start a fire.

>>how are they better in that fryer
They'd be exactly the same, assuming you did a good job controlling the temp of the oil in your pot.

>what do you do with the oil after you make fish?

I keep right on using it.

the only thing I've cooked that I found that taints the oil would be chicken or pork that's been cooked in a dark Chinese master stock. I save that dish for when the oil is nearing the end of its useful life.

>buying a unitasker when a pan is perfectly fine for frying

enjoy using it a couple times and having it take up space forever

I think it's a bit silly to call a deep fryer a unitasker. If you're going to do that you might as well say the same thing about a pan--durr, all it does is hold food over heat.

The deep fryer has tons of common uses: frying up some herbs for a crispy topping to a soup or stew. Cooking up some potatoes to put in an omelet, fritatta, or hash. Making fries as a side dish. Many stir-fry recipes call for the protein to be lightly deep-fried before the actual stir frying is done, and so on. Browning meats before using in a stew or soup, and so on.

And it's a fuck of a lot more convenient to flip the fryer's power switch to "on" than it is to get out a pot, fill it with oil, hover around it with a thermometer so it gets to the correct temp, carefully maintain that temp while the frying is taking place, then wait for it to cool before you can empty the pot, put the oil away, etc.

>If you're going to do that you might as well say the same thing about a pan--dur

not really you retard since a pan can do more than fry

you just mention a whole bunch of shit that is just frying that you can do with a pan that you already have

>not really you retard since a pan can do more than fry

Yes. And a deep fryer can do a lot more than just make tendies.

>>with a pan that you already have
Indeed, I could do all that with a pan I already have. But I choose not to because using the deep fryer is much faster, requires less work while cooking, less cleanup, and usually creates superior results.

Are you going to say that a knife is a unitasker now because all it does is cut things?

you clearly have brain problems my boy, I think your brain might be a unitasker.

A unitasker is a kitchen product designed to do a specific task that other products already do but those products do much different things. For example an onion cutter product. Oh you can say its so much easier to use an onion cutter product than say a knife, why use a knife when the onion cutter is easier to clean and faster. Why buy a fucking 50 dollar product that does only one thing that you can do with the knife you already have.

A fryer is the same thing, why buy a 100 dollar product, because you can't be bothered to put in a thermometer into the pot? You really need a thermometer to fry fries or tendies? And how does it make cleaning much easier? Does deep fryers magically make oil not oil?

The only use for a deep fryer is if you are cooking fries or deep fried products at a restaurant half the day.

But I dunno maybe you are some fat ass who fries an item every single meal.

>Why buy a fucking 50 dollar product that does only one thing that you can do with the knife you already have.

Depends on whether or not the benefit is actually worth the cost or not. An onion cutter? Waste of money in my opinion. I have very good knife skills and I could probably cut the onion with a standard Chef's knife before I could even find the "onion cutter" in the back of a cabinet somewhere.

The deep fryer, OTOH, is well worth it's cost in my opinion, for the reasons I already posted above. I spent close to $300 on mine (it is a commercial model, and I had to install a dedicated 220V outlet for it), and I'm very happy with the purchase. The time and hassle that it has saved me is well worth the price. I don't mind spending money on something that I'm going to get use out of for many years.

>>You really need a thermometer to fry fries or tendies?
If you care about quality, then yeah, you do. Oil temp is very important when frying, both for getting the crispiest possible coating, and also for health. If the oil isn't hot enough then the food will absorb the oil and you end up with soggy greasy food.

>>And how does it make cleaning much easier?
Compare the two scenarios when you are done deep frying:
1) You have a deep fryer. All you do is skim out any bits of food that might be inside it, then turn it off and put the cover on it and leave it there until the next time you use it. Takes maybe 30 seconds, tops.

2) You are using your multi-use pan. You have to wait for the oil to cool. Then you have to pour out the oil into whatever container you want to save it in. That will probably involve getting a funnel dirty and/or a mess. Then you have to clean your pan so you can put it away or use it for another part of your meal.

>>The only use for a deep fryer is...
For people that take cooking more seriously than you do there are zillions of uses for it. Not every use of a fryer is for Fatty McNuggets.

>If you care about quality, then yeah, you do. Oil temp is very important when frying, both for getting the crispiest possible coating, and also for health. If the oil isn't hot enough then the food will absorb the oil and you end up with soggy greasy food.

Again how does this relate to having a deep fryer over a pan? You are telling me you can only achieve high temperatures of oil on a deep fryer? You are telling me you deep fry frequently but need to know exactly what temperature certain things need to be?

>You have a deep fryer. All you do is skim out any bits of food that might be inside it, then turn it off and put the cover on it and leave it there until the next time you use it. Takes maybe 30 seconds, tops.

You are saying this as if you can't do this with a pan, you ignoring CLEANING the actual deep fryer as if it doesn't need to be clean. If you are going to fry constantly you can leave a pan out with oil the same way. You are somehow suggesting that with a pan you wash it every fry but with a deep fryer you never wash it at all or clean it out.

>For people that take cooking more seriously than you do there are zillions of uses for it

Name them, you can do anything but frying. You can stir fry in a pan, you can saute in a pan, you can fry in a pan, you can sear in a pan, you can deglaze in a pan. When you say different things you mean you can fry different things, that isn't different uses, I think you are confused.

>Again how does this relate to having a deep fryer over a pan?
Deep fryer contains a thermostat. It allows the correct temperature to be reached and maintained automatically. It maintains a much more consistent and accurate temperature than a pot on the stove.

>>You are telling me you can only achieve high temperatures of oil on a deep fryer?
Not at all. It's about consistency, not magnitude.

>>You are telling me you deep fry frequently but need to know exactly what temperature certain things need to be?
Exactly. Different foods are best prepared at different temperatures. You need to be able to control that so you can get the food cooked properly. If the temp is too high then the outside will burn before the inside is properly cooked through. If the temp is too low then the food will absorb oil and get soggy. Precision is important for good results.

>>You are somehow suggesting that with a pan you wash it every fry but with a deep fryer you never wash it at all or clean it out.
You're the one telling me to use the same pan for everything. Of course I have to wash it out if I'm going to use it for something else.

You could get another pot and save it for dedicated deep frying. But you'd still have to clean it more often than a good fryer. You see, a good deep fryer has the heating element located above the bottom of the container. That lets food bits fall below the heater and sit near the bottom where the oil is cooler. That keeps the oil fresh longer. OTOH if you use a normal pot then the heat comes from the bottom of the pot where its sitting on your stove. Thus any little bits in the oil will fall down directly to the hottest part of the vessel, and can easily burn. I know this well, I dealt with that crap for two years before I bought my fryer.

...continued.

>>You can stir fry in a pan, you can saute in a pan, you can fry in a pan, you can sear in a pan

How is that different than a deep fryer being able to: make a fish fry, crisp up some garnish for my salad, prepare chips, brown my meat before making a stew?

Both are examples of how very different dishes can be prepared using the same tool.

I noticed you never answered my question about a knife. Do you think a knife is a unitasker because all it does it cut things? Or do you think that concept is silly because of how many different things you can cut that result in totally different dishes?

Again, there's something called a thermometer, if you really need precision you can use something called a thermometer. A good stove and pot will keep a consistent temperature, go look up Gordon Ramsay or any decent chef and see if they ever use a deep fryer at home and yet they have no problem with precision.

A knife cuts the way a pan cooks. How you cut determines why its not a unitasker. You can smash with a knife, you can chop with a knife, you can puree with a knife, you can bone with a knife, you can peel and pare with a knife. I think you really do not understand the term unitasker. Cutting objects isn't a unitask function in the kitchen because all prep work requires cutting, the same way all food needs to be cooked.

I have a thermometer. I can know how hot it is.

I can't have that type of accident. I use induction. The top also gives me a temperature reading.

So I don't see how it's better beyond leaving a burner available.

>using a standalone deep fryer to brown meat before making a stew

Why?! Why not brown it in the stew pot and deglaze after?

Please don't tell me you plan on using the deep fryer for stews.

>Again, there's something called a thermometer

Yes. But If I have 4 pots going on the stove then the last thing I want to have to waste time on is to constantly check the thermometer and adjust accordingly. I will gladly pay for a deep fryer to save myself that hassle.

>Why?! Why not brown it in the stew pot and deglaze after?

That's what I normally do, but in some cases the deep fryer is preferable because it saves a lot of time.

My best example of this is gumbo. I've got to brown off my venison, chicken, and sausage. That's too much to do at once, so I have to divide it up into batches. I normally do the venison and the sausage in seperate batches in the same pot. The chicken is a bit of a bastard though--it oven leaves a sticky residue in the pot that interferes with making good roux, whereas the other meats don't have that problem. So my solution is to use the deep fryer to brown the chicken while I'm browning the sausage and the venison in the main pot. Saves time, no sticky stuff to mess up my roux.

>Please don't tell me you plan on using the deep fryer for stews.

If I'm making a traditional beef stew or something like that then I absolutely will brown it directly in the pot.

Why are you frying four different things, user?

You know instant read thermometer are really cheap, right?

>Why are you frying four different things, user?

I'm not. I might have some fish going in the fryer, some dumplings steaming, a stir-fry going next to that, and a pot with rice.

>>You know instant read thermometer are really cheap, right?
Not really. The cheap ones are very unreliable in my experience, but that's moot. I do own two instant-read thermometers. It's not a matter of price, it's a matter of effort. If I'm busy cooking then the last thing I want is yet another dish that requires babysitting to maintain the temperature. I'd rather not have to worry about checking the fryer temp every 30 seconds when I can can have a thermostat do it for me.

>I'm not.

Then why is it such a hassle to adjust the temp in what's frying? You actually only need to do it the first time you fry with it, you'll know what heat setting it needs next time.

Btw, a rice cooker WOULD be worthwhile too, since you're into convenience.

>I'd rather not have to worry about checking the fryer temp every 30 seconds
Why so often? Give heat a chance to spread. You'll only end up lowering it because you didn't wait for it to stabilize.

>babysitting to maintain the temperature.
Oh, that's what you meant by that.

It's a deep fryer, you're not simmering things. Why such care?

>Then why is it such a hassle to adjust the temp in what's frying?
Because your next statement is totally incorrect.

>>You actually only need to do it the first time you fry with it, you'll know what heat setting it needs next time

Nope. The moment you add the relatively cool food to the hot oil then the temperature will instantly drop. So the moment the food goes in you'll need to start compensating for that. As the food cooks then less heat will be needed to maintain the correct temp.

>>Why so often?
Because as I just explained, the temp of the food/oil changes during cooking. And how much it changes depends on how much food you put in the fryer. If you want to maintain a stable temp then you have to check it frequently.

>>Why such care?
Because I want want my food cooked as good as possible. I want a nice crispy exterior with a properly cooked interior. I don't want the coating to be soggy with oil since that tastes nasty and is unhealthy. And the way to achieve that is with proper temperature control. Thankfully we have a device, called a thermostat, which does exactly that.

>Get this for Christmas
>That straining oil thing seems cool
>Everytime I use it it leaks/spills oil everywhere
>Fuck this

Old oil makes the best chicken too

Stop now.

You don't need a temp reading every 30 seconds. Deep frying food is about as brainless a cooking activity as there can be.

Once you have fried something well, you know what heat setting it needs. All the care you need is not to be an asshole and dump it all at once so that the oil never can reheat. That is all. Cooking tendies and french fries is not as delicate as stock making. Which also requires little effort but a constant temp is needed.

If you want to maintain a stable temp, don't dump so much at once, that's all. It's not like these things are so huge. Again, my big iron pot serves me quite well for frying, it's stays pretty much the same temp so long as I don't overcrowd it.

We already established that you don't "need" a temp reading every 30 seconds.

But the more consistent you keep the temperature the better. I am perfectly happy to pay for a fryer in exchange for convenience and precision, and I can easily afford it. End of story.

You may not care about either as much, and that's fine. If you don't care then don't buy one. I'm not trying to convince you to buy a fryer, I'm answering your questions as to why I own one.

I exclusively deep fry on my front porch because the wife doesn't like the smell. The deepfryer lives in my garage.

Take your unitasker argument and shove it up your unit...uhh...ass...ker. Faggot.

>have a deep fryer in university
>use it in the community kitchen
>buddies often borrow it
>we get creative with the deepfryerery
>want to try deep fried Mars bars
>go buy a few
>wasn't really paying attention
>accidentally bought a Snickers bar too
>oh well
>try a test Mars
>keeps it shape, just becomes as soft as a browned marshmallow and warm to the eats
>kind of interesting take on a chocolate bar
>make a few more for friends
>pop in the snickers bar
>the chocolate melts off and diffuses into the oil, ruining it

We had a good conversation postulating hypothesises as to how the Snickers bar didn't work but the Mars did, considering the most obvious difference is the presence of peanuts.

Standalone deep dryers aren't expensive, user.

I just don't need one to fry things well.

do you bread your own tendies

>Standalone deep dryers aren't expensive, user.

Like most cookware, the good ones are. As I posted earlier in the thread, I originally had the model that OP posted. (Before that my family had a frydaddy). I since upgraded to the waring commercial model. It's fucking amazing. It takes less than 5 min to come up to temp and is large enough to hold a whole chicken. It's super easy to clean since the heating element comes right out and then everything else can go in the dishwasher. Using that compared to the cheap wal-mart models is night-and-day.

>>I just don't need one to fry things well.
You're right, they aren't required to fry things well. But they make it a fuck of a lot easier.

Just like how we don't need smartphones either, but they sure are convenient and make things easy for us.

What's the smartphone got to do with a unitasker?

The entire notion of a smartphone is how versatile it is. How many different tools are now within it.

>unitasker
jesus fucking christ kys

>What's the smartphone got to do with a unitasker?

They're both things we don't actually need, yet we use them because they are convenient.

Maybe in 2007.

Nowadays, in western society you need a mobile. You might not even be hired for a menial job if they can't reach you when they want you.

Now instead of carrying an additional bookbag worth of books and tools along with the essential telephone, the mobile does what the tools could, gives you access to all that info.

But a phone has been essential for decades and mobiles have replaced personal landlines.

>Nowadays, in western society you need a mobile

No, you don't "need" one. There is nothing essential about you texting your BFF, instagramming, taking photos of silly shit, or being addicted to facebook.

Aside from a few specific jobs that honestly need 24-7 connectivity the phone is not essential.

>>Now instead of carrying an additional bookbag worth of books and tools along with the essential telephone, the mobile does what the tools could, gives you access to all that info.

Yes, like I said, it's a convenience.

>>trivial things

I'm glad we agree that there is nothing essential here.

Seems to me that when you fried the Mars bar the temp was lower and when you fried the snickers the oil had reached proper temp.

Isn't a Mars bar all nougat? That seems like it'd fry better

To do it right you have to dip them in pancake batter my dude

>use induction
your argument is invalid

deep fried butter sticks
You just put on 100lbs
You're welcome