Fml

shhhhh...mods are asleep, get dickered and post food & cooking & cats & shtuff

this thread is for anyone to post a cook-along, bake-along, drink-along, pickle-along or OC food/drink pics, post your meals or what ever if you dont want to make or use another thread

last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/P9OHRCJHKAc
youtu.be/KoMQBeaDNlc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

PATTI LUV BEER

something mexicanish OP?

I like you cucumber dick

maybe some viet/mex fusion, well see lol

if i had a nickel m80... :^)

So what's on the menu tonight.

I don't want to alrm you, but it looks like your modelo was previously opened and returned

patti is right for turning her nose up at it

going to make some kind of banh mi torta hybrid, just going to wing it cuz i went to the mexi market because it was convenient

got it from sams club and a whole pallet was like that, not sure but they seem like normal beers so farlol

making the marinade

youtu.be/P9OHRCJHKAc
gonna see these guys in concert soon they are a houston band but they going on tour

Do it

so i didnt have green onions but i got chives and i didnt have shallots but i got half an onion, and i dont got lemongrass but i got limón, im sure itll be fine lol

>mirin' my sharp knifin skills m8

I just hope you go to the site with the original recipe and make a comment about all of the substitutions you made and how much better/worse it made it with a corresponding star grade

>I use coconut milk instead of yogurt and my kids love it!!!!!

>even my picky husband beat me marginally less than usual for making "ethnic" food

this is b8, I was making waffles other night and review on the recipe was like 'this recipe is great i used greek yogurt instead of milk' this is very bothersome for me to see

time to thinly slice my espanol mystery pork

ok gonna marinade this in the fridge for a the minimum recomended time because im hungry

im going to attempt tatoe chips, itll be fine

habbening

>calmly waiting on op like

lol sorry got caught up in my stories

special mayo

so the chips could have been crispier, will cut them thinner next time, sandwich looks like shit but it was good and the texture was nice and crisp, was gonna put avocado on it but my 'cado was half rotten

you know what they say
if it's half rotten, it's fucking rotten

looks good

time for sleep

best poster, pls carry on

Modelo especiallllll is lit senpai.

sleep tite kot

This guy back from an insane stretch of work. There's a festival in town right now so we've been crazy busy.

Have a few things to post now though. Not as many process pictures as usual this time, should be more next time though.

Corn soup with home-smoked Portugal chili, creme fraiche, basil, fried corn, and redcurrants.

Shucked all my corn, cut the kernels off, and then roasted the husks and silk until really fragrant and golden, then roasted off half the cobs while keeping the other half raw. Made a really deep, flavorful corn stock out of that (along with basic aromatics- a little mirepoix, bay, and thyme). Smoked the chilies for 6 hours on applewood, then threw them right over the coals for a bit of char. Browned a shallot, added corn kernels and rough chopped chili, and simmered until the corn was tender and the liquid reduced by about 2/3, then pureed it. Super simple but the flavor was awesome, it's amazing how much complexity you can get out of very few ingredients if you put the work in.

The redcurrants seem a bit odd at first but they gave some really nice textural contrast and acid.

Next up, got some beautiful live spot prawns. Easily my favorite seafood, for sure. If you're working with them, make sure you get them really fresh- they should be moving around vigorously- and if you're not cooking them whole right away, IMMEDIATELY take the heads off when you get home. Spot prawn heads contain an enzyme that, if they die, starts to turn the meat mushy/mealy. Really unpleasant. So just grab 'em and twist the heads off.

Cleaned prawns. Heads and shells I roasted down and made stock from, which I reduced by about 2/3 to get a really intense prawn flavor.

Meanwhile, pasta! Got more beautiful fresh peas, and once again blanched and juiced the pods. This time I used the pea pod liquid for pasta. Replaced about half the volume of eggs with pea liquid, and used my standard mix of durum tipo 00 and semolina. Came better than I'd even hoped, nice green color and super easy to work with.

Rolling

Made a pretty simple filling from homemade ricotta I hung overnight, fresh peas, lemon zest, and a bit of grana padano, all pureed together. Folded little tortellini.

>Heads and shells I roasted down and made stock from, which I reduced by about 2/3 to get a really intense prawn flavor.

Hell yes! The heads are the best part!

Green almonds. Basically they're underripe almonds, so the outer shell/husk is still fuzzy and kind of soft, and the nut inside is juicy and crispy, kind of the texture of a water chestnut or something, and has a mild green flavor like watermelon rind.

That they are. So much flavor in there. There might have been one or two that just got cooked and didn't make it into the stock...
Shelled green almonds.

Poached the cleaned prawns in beurre monte, then emulsified that- now prawn flavored- into the prawn stock reduction, which I made into a warm 'vinaigrette' if you will by finishing with some fresh tarragon and some aged muscat vinegar.

Tortellini down, then prawns, fresh peas just lightly blanched in salted water, and shaved green almonds

Finished the dish with some locally harvested sea salt, shaved marinated rhubarb, and the prawn 'vinaigrette'.

Wild boar loin, still with plenty of fat on it. Brined it for 8 hours, rinsed off, scored the fat, salted it, and let it stand for about 4 more hours to dry the surface for dat crust later on.

Meanwhile, I have some tiny little baby onions to deal with. These came with the greens still on which is always good. Cleaned them up a bit, and prepared my confit mixture- 3 hour cold-smoked oil, bay leaf, and thyme.

And after 5 hours at 275F. The smell when I pulled these out of the oven was amazing, the smoked oil and the slow confit really worked some magic.

Spice rub, consisting of chicory root, salt, brown sugar, fennel seed, juniper, nutmeg, and allspice.

Boar jus for glazing. Basically chicken stock base re-simmered with some roasted onion and a bunch of roasted boar neckbones.

Some gorgeous red-fleshed plums from the market. I took a bunch of them, simmered 3/4 down to a thick liquid, strained it, then juiced the remaining 1/4 and mixed that juice in to form a glaze consistency with a nice mix of cooked and fresh plum flavors.

Remaining ingredients. Pattypan squash, red dandelions, and marbled new potatoes.

Grilled the boar loin over charcoal and applewood, direct heat just long enough to render the fat and crisp that side up, then indirect nice and slow to finish, basting with that boar jus every so often to keep it moist and build up a nice lacquer.

Finished by brushing with the plum glaze. Pulled off the grill at 138F, carryover took it to just shy of 145 while resting which is about what I wanted.

Grilled the pattypan over direct heat, boiled the potatoes in heavily salted water then cut and seared the cut sides, wilted the dandelions down with some shallots in pork fat.

The dish got another drizzle of plum glaze over top that I forgot to take a picture of on account of being hungry.

Last one, kind of a shitty picture unfortunately.

Burger is 80% ground grass-fed chuck, 20% pork belly, grilled over charcoal/applewood. Used the smoked, onion-confit-flavored oil from the boar loin dish to make a smoked mayonnaise, melted some blue brie-type cheese over the patty, pickled some shallots, and made a caramelized onion-sultana relish.

I was super happy with how it came out flavorwise, especially that smoked mayo. Damn.

These are beautiful user. If you don't mind me asking, what's the logic behind these? Is there a certain format to these combinations? And where do you hear about exotic stuff like green almonds, chicory rubs, and carrot top pesto (assuming you're that same user) and how to use them?

Please be my waifu

Thanks user. Yeah, I'm the same guy who did that carrot dish. I've posted about fifteen or twenty or so all told, so far.

Generally these dishes start out on trips to various markets. I'll go grab whatever looks best, and try to build around it. Generally some core combination of flavors will jump out, and then I'll add others to add balance or contrast in flavor or texture. In adding new ingredients, some combinations are classic, some are novel but work by analogy- peas, prawns, and lemon is pretty classic, and rhubarb has similar fresh fruity/acidic flavors to lemon, so it makes sense that it would work in place of lemon. Some can be found by their predilection to similar ingredients. If two ingredients go well with similar things, it makes sense they might go well together, even if it doesn't seem so at first- especially if some of those common flavors are used to bridge the gap.

As far as the use of odd ingredients goes, it's through a combination of instinct, experimentation, and research that you learn to use them. Taste and smell them, test the texture- that'll tell you what it goes with.

Also some, like the carrot top pesto, come from a desire to use all the edible parts of the ingredients i get.

>3 limes

cute cat

>let me just touch this food with the same filthy feet i dig around in my own excrement with

looks like kitty wants some peppers. you should oblige him

this looks especially good

I think it's time for you to fuck off.

>he doesn't wash his vegetables
>that grow in dirt
>full of fertilizer
How are you not dead yet?

Props to you dude. Good luck in the industry, I reckon you'll go far. Hope you still have time to keep posting your shit on Veeky Forums when you're a sous or executive.

The chips look just fine IMO. I don't exactly know what that orange-ish looking sauce is in the pic above this one, but I'd probably use that with them (it looks good)

Happy Americaroni and cheese day.

Stovetopped macaroni and cheese w/spinach made with pepperjack and half-and-half.

Bought these expensive strawberry cherries and then tried one and had an allergic reaction so I'm making clafoutis (I can eat fruit I'm allergic to if it's cooked)

Should have cooked the tatos until slightly golden brown than let cool and do again to make crispy. Looks good though

Result

tryin to pick out good 'cados pisses me off

:)

ive never heard of corn soup and this sounds really good

MAKING
ME
HONGREY

this looks mad dank m8, i bet you can make some really nutty good burgers even tho i feel like that doesnt interest you as much, im honored you post in these threads your stuff is wild, you will have a bright future i hope to eat at your restaurant some day

would be interesting to see experiments you dont feel were successful sometime

were 2 more hidden, im p much a hairy bearded gweneth paltrow

m8 i didnt even put my feet on it chill :^)

she only plays with people food she refuses to eat any

they werent really crisp, perfectly salted tho lol, that hot sauce is some local habenaro sauce i got at the mex market, the butcher tried to talk me out of it cuz gringo, but i aint havin it

dammit i meant to do some mac and forgot, looks good

ill try that and also look at a recipe next time, thx

what would a cross section of this look like i never heard of this, would try tho

here is a chz steak with fried onions and hotpeppers i had for lunch, i took a bite out first cuz i know you fuckers love that shit lol

might cook something soon

gotta break down these wings b4 they go bad

its like that rugrats episode with ice cream mountain but better and with salmonella

wing stacks on deck

thawed out a patty for a quick burger, have no appropriate produce on hand oh well

youtu.be/KoMQBeaDNlc

Does patti get real pissed if you wrestle with her?

my other 2 like rastlin' especially giblet, patti acts like shes being raped or something so we dont do that shes a wuss, shes just into cuddles

The breading looks good. It fried well. Not sure I approve of the satanic dressing, but that's not for me to judge.

id fux wif it

4693 4663 4062 4568 4048 4046 4889

94615 4073