Coffee General

How come I never see coffee geeks use siphons as opposed to other methods like v60? I've never had one but I never see them as an option anywhere.

Also coffee general I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Kalita-server-persons-31255-Carita/dp/B004R0RFPC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because siphons require a special kind of autism to use

They're slower than any other method because it takes fuck long for them to boil. They're also too fragile for every day use. And the coffee is marginally better than french press. I'd bet its almost the same as french press in taste and mouth feel. Nigger.

>Also coffee general I guess.
You guess? You literally titled it that

Siphons are a novelty at best

R8 my most recent purchase :3

You need to be from Portland, and absolutely be on the spectrum. Have a llama hair keychain and menstrual darts.

Post yours, not a stock image

>menstural darts
I'm kinda afraid to ask...

I would have but it hasn't arrived yet, I only ordered it this morning

They align your chi when you're angry at your spouse.

Christ, bud, get Prime!

>the coffee is marginally better than french press. I'd bet its almost the same as french press in taste and mouth feel. Nigger.
don't talk authoritatively about things you don't have authoritative knowledge about

gettin real sick of french press fags talking like they know shit when they don't

Retard hasn't tried siphon coffee clearly.

Just got one a few weeks back OP, gotta be honest, it makes a damn good, smooth as fuck cup of coffee. Definitely not a daily driver though, it makes about 8 cups at a time so its best for when people are over (plus people are always interested in checking it out).

Also it doesn't take long at all if you preheat your water before putting it in the glass vessel.

You forgot to tell them that it ameliorates their chakras while aligning previous lives into your future skeen. Your coffee isn't smooth, your soul is smooth.

I have one of these I got for my birthday some years back and never used, worth it?

Cram a glass myrrh smoker up your rectum and recite the desiderata. The flavour is amazing. And you'll become one with Siddhartha.

because a pour over and cold brew just make sense, for taste and cost and efficiency

everything else is fucking around

which is fine because it's your hobby

nothing said in this thread has been obscurantist or mystical, I don't know what's up your ass
siphon coffee is pretty good and the brew process is not difficult to understand

redpill me on the equipment i actually need to make a good cup of coffee

i have:
>a mug
>access to water
>autism

heres whats in my amazon wishlist
>kalita wave
>kalita kettle
>kalita filters

ill worry about the beans later..wut kind of grinder do i need? anything esle>

Burr grinder, hand use or >$100 electric one

get pic related and you'll be good to go (forever). also only use reverse osmosis filtered water.

I live in Texas so cold brew is the only option of decency

Well a kettle obviously. Since you're doing a pourover I recommend a simple stovetop gooseneck kettle just for ease of use. But if you already have a regular kettle it's not crucial. Just a lot easier.

A digital scale is totally essential. Just something that's big enough to fit your mug or carafe or whatever you're brewing into. They're pretty inexpensive.

As for a grinder you'll want a burr grinder. I don't know how you feel but I don't mind hand grinding. You can get a Hario Mini Mill for like $40. I don't have recommendations on electric grinders though. They're going to be a lot more expensive.

It's a fucking retarded way to make drip coffee. You're not getting even one dram of anything you wouldn't from a fucking melita coffee filter. I just can't stand you idiots that don't taste things before you talk.

Hey, if you're in the Houston area, they actually have a place that specializes in siphon.

why

>autism

How much autism?

>a reasonable amount
A french press or Vietnamese phin and a conical burr grinder

>an unreasonable amount
A pourover device (such as that kalita), a gooseneck kettle and a conical burr grinder

>an unhealthy amount
an ibrik, a commercial-grade grinder for the first pass of grinding and an especially tuned conical burr grinder for the second pass to really get that fine coffee powder

>a crippling amount
Viennese triple cold-extraction apparatus or reasonable facsimile hand assembled from surplus laboratory glassware

where does a commercial espresso machine fall in that?

hot

why would you want a hot drink in the morning when something cool is refreshing

Remember to buy your /baratzaencore/

One of my favorite coffee shops specializes in siphon coffee.

100/100.
Have you got a nice carafe to go with it? I make a 500ml carafe with my Wave every morning.

i have me one of these them there things and i just got an idea

>fill with water
>stick in the fridge
>cold brew with grounds in a paper filter affixed to the top
>cold coffee on tap for days

will this work or am i wasting my time?

I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Bought this recently, I feel like a retard for spending $480 ($600 list price but 20% off coupon) but can justify it by not being one of those people who buys $3-4 espresso-based drinks daily.

I've had it, and it qualitatively tasted different than other brew methods. I wouldn't make it every day, but I also wasn't put off enough by the taste to attack its character on a eastern european kvass-production symposium
it's also immersion with a cloth filter, which a melitta filter probably couldn't approximate without some macguyvering

I didn't order one with it, but I kinda want to. Do you have a 500ml carafe or do you just brew 500ml in a larger one? Do you have a link?

The only downside I see to this unless i am reading it wrong is that it sounds like you plan to just leave the grounds in there. That would definitely overextract and make the end result taste awful. I would just let it set in another container first then strain the contents into there, fortunately any sediment that sinks to the bottom shouldn't make its way out of the tap.

Pretty solid idea though.

amazon.com/Kalita-server-persons-31255-Carita/dp/B004R0RFPC
i have one of these.

Got something like this, too.
Makes me happy to wake up every morning.

sweet

i wouldn't leave it to extract for a full day or anything, the first cup would bring the water level below the grounds and i'd probably toss them at that time anyway

>How come I never see coffee geeks use siphons

My understanding is that the siphon doesn't produce any "better" coffee than other methods. The only reason people would use them is for aesthetics. Most coffee geeks are into things that make better coffee.

But I'm sure you'll find some style-heavy hipster joints that use those as part of the decor.

Really been enjoying my new coffee setup the past few days

I have to ask though, I'm sticking with a medium roast/blend for now what is a darker roast like?

why don't you try it and see for yourself

A dark roast tastes like burnt asshole, avoid.

you've probably only drank over-roasted shit mate

in my experience dark roasts always have chocolatey notes

>breville
I'm so sorry for your retardation...

Dark is all over-roasted shit and this isn't just an opinion, no real flavors open up from roasting further than medium unless you count charcoal

okay, believe whatever you want, I don't share your tongue

in my experience is right though

>In my experience my own post is right
Properly brewed coffee should never be bitter, if you're somehow managing to accomplish that with dark roasts and are not underextracting either then good for you

bitterness is a flavor and some people specifically want it.

are you done being such an insufferable hipster? it's one thing to be wrong but you're both wrong and obnoxious

>literally drinks burnt coffee, shits up the thread sperging out over other people's opinions and calls anybody insufferable/obnoxious
There's bitter foods and there's burnt foods, how about learning the difference instead of protecting your insecurities in here
>I MEANT TO BURN MY STEAK, SOME PEOPLE LIKE IT BITTER, GOOOOD

except it's not burnt you majestically stupid motherfucker

don't try to save face with another shitty analogy, do us all a kindness and lurk for another year

Burnt. Seriously. Stick to medium and light roasts

I should add that if you actually want new flavors, start trying single origins, not necessarily different roasts

>roasting a food item to the point where sugars turn bitter isn't burning
>more childish insults
Ok

Because it costs more money and I'm not trying to have a bunch of different roasts on hand just to "Try" it out

>overextracting a cold brew
>roasting

What does that have to do with anything

okay, I'll take the time to explain it despite knowing full well you'll hand wave it away with more uninformed generalizations and Mount Stupid bullshit.

the bean is most assuredly not roasted to that point. the taste of caramelized sugars is still prominent and the lack of acidity actually makes the coffee more palatable. the beans need to be used very soon after roasting though, and little to no oil should have permeated to the surface.

a lot of the time they will taste like burnt fucking shit exactly as you describe. you only think the process itself is bad because you've never had it done right. otherwise you'd know just how fucking delish and naturally sweet it can be.

you don't need to buy a whole freaking pound of it. if anything, this thread proves you should value your own experiences over what dumb Veeky Forums teenagers say. find a local roaster though. for any type of blend even.

>lol don't listen to anyone else says the one who passes of his own "logic" as fact and can't form an argument with resorting to insults

Nothing you said actually contradicts the fact by definition it's burnt, no matter how angry you get

Wow user. Different people have different tastes. You don't have to be worked up about it.

I'm not the one who derailed the entire thread screaming about how burnt coffee isn't burnt

responding to tone
otherwise no attempt at an argument whatsoever

imagine going to a shitty steak house every day for 10 years and every time you ask for "medium" you get a pile of ashes, but when you ask for "medium rare" you get something actually palatable, and for some reason you start firmly thinking that's what meat is

that's you in a nutshell

I've explained how it's burnt and you keep evading any sort of counter argument because you're too busy getting offended and shitting on everyone who disagrees with you. Also incoherent analogies aren't arguments either

you haven't "explained" how it's burned. you've made unsubstantial claims about how it must be physically burned because it "tastes bitter". there is a clear distinct difference between the natural bitterness of a coffee bean and the taste of burnt plant matter. you can actually taste the former in ANY blend by over extracting it. how do you not know this?

dark roast is actually the sweetest and least acidic blend of the three. this is a fact that you're not aware of, because you don't actually know what you're talking about.

I know fully well you're not going to change your mind. keep drinking shit coffee and being wrong however long you like. this is for anyone who might be listening it.

>keeps posting mom science instead of any actual logic and still can't respond without insults
I don't know if you realize this but nonsense such as a "natural bitterness" (which isn't present in other roasts) is a baseless claim just like the rest of yours. What does acidity and sweetness have to do with anything? Absolutely nothing. If you carmalize onions and end up burning it it'll still be sweeter than non-carmalized

Are you female by any chance? There's enough pseudo-logic, passive aggressiveness and condescending bullshit to suggest so

>user throws an autistic tantrum over dark roasts being referred to as burnt
Good thread guys.

so you're one of those redpill or MGTOW faggots aren't you? explains the unassailable fortress of delusion you've built for yourself

I can now rest easy knowing your genes will disappear with you

samefagging, what a tactic

Show me some sources or you're both fuckwits

>post an actual argument with bait at the bottom
>ignores the argument because he can't refute it and just spergs out over the bait instead
I don't need any more proof you're a stupid faggot who's talking completely out their ass. You have absolutely no argument, no facts and can't do anything but make up "facts" on the spot and cram multiple childish insults into every post. Also I'm definitely samefagging as opposed to multiple people taking issue with one angry retard ruining the thread for everyone, sure

Ass. Burnt ass. Medium roast is the best roast.

you're pathetically bad at samefagging

I'm not entirely sure what you want mate

>its burnt because I say so
>no
>nuh huh
>no dude it's burnt
>I want arguments
>no not that one!!
>not that one either!!
>*reeees in /pol/ack*

this is you. this is how dumb you sound.

Woah you got me

>Still completely disregarding every argument given
You lost, give it up

I bought a phin filter recently so I can make Vietnamese coffee/get wired and clean my house. How much water to coffee are you supposed to use with this thing?

nobody's going to publish an article on my taste buds. go to your local roaster and get a blend that's dark brown on the surface and not fucking shiny. any oil on the surface is bad. straight up ask when it was roasted, should be no more than a day or two.

take it home, adjust grinds and proportions to whatever works best for your extraction method and brew the fucking thing. if you've done it right you'll get a glimpse of what good dark roast actually tastes like. if you've done it wrong, then any blend would taste like ass anyway.

if you still don't like it then drink something else. it's as simple as that.

Iirc it's as strong as you can handle it. Also, you are supposed to use the cheapest beans, the robusta. Not really sure but I've always wanted one. Share pics when you make it

I'm still using a moka pot. I like my coffee strong and that stuff makes it really fast.

>makes it really fast
10-12 minutes isn't fast, you're doing it wrong

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

>New coffee setup
>Tried it with cold water instead of hot water off the kettle
>Different taste but it is really good
>Impressed actually but the color of the coffee after coming out is very different
>Its darker, very darker with boiling water
>Either way it is still good
>I've had 3 cups of coffee today
>I hope I didn't mess up my sleep pattern for tonight

what the fuck

I love people that steampunk fucking coffee. I use a piece of shit breville espresso machine, a portafilter hack, a temperature hack on the machine and a breville smart grinder.

I come away with espresso that impresses snobs.

>steampunk fucking coffee
Uh, ok

Look at that stupid first picture. That doesn't make you think of steampunk? It's fucking hipster depressing.

Steampunk you say? I'm sure you can't afford one...

You can use a regular portafilter on these shitboxes if you pack them properly, as opposed to a restricted flow portafilter. So you do that, and you force a higher heat on the heating coil and you end up with a perfect extraction on a $200 piece of shit. for like 20 bucks in accessories.

this

Yes.. that's what I want to afford. That looks like one of those bottom fill beer toys they have at baseball parks.

Informative post, definitely worth the read

>more than one person is disagreeing with my retardation? THIS CANNOT HAPPEN

Breville are electrically a shit company, they recommend you 'unplug' their devices. My toaster oven draws 7 watts for no reason. On the other hand, I can make coffee that makes millionaires compliment the server. Something tells me this is a Quebec company.

shut up faggot

Is there any affordable brand for newcomers? And how do you maintain one?

Text is silent faggot