Blue Apron

Yay or Hay?

Looks like a decent way to get actual fresh tomatoes for one. Also if you are too lazy to organize recipes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y-VjBxMufhw
ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/3849-chicken-tikka-masala
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Seems like the same shit as papa murphy's. If you want to make your own food then just do it. Why pay extra for food that's not even cooked? That's the point of restaurants.

You save money from not tipping

besides there aren't many restaurants that let you have food this nice unless you get a $25 steak etc.

Viral marketer get ye gone

not an argument

No no no just that that .png you posted to the store and buy all that shit instead
Hell my local grocery store has a delivery service so you could get the exact same thing for cheaper than poo apron

>pay 10x as much
>still have to cook
No thanks. I can get everything they ship , organic and all for a tenth of that or less if i grow it myself.
A toy for lazy upper middle class moms.

comes with the exact portions for a recipe, no wasting your cash on shit you wont use

>look up recipe online
>go to grocery store
>buy stuff
>cook it

>no wasting your cash

Paying 5x as much is wasting your cash.

The crossfit of cooking; as close as they can make it to Lego-instructions simple to appeal to people that wouldn't even consider cooking normally

>no wasting your cash on shit you won't use
I could buy twice as many ingredients as I need for the same price and use the leftovers to wipe my ass

Its good for people learning how to cook who are shy about buying large quantities of perishable foods that they'll likely not use or not like and it helps you understand the difference using fresh ingredients makes.

Its kind of like the training wheels of food, its cheaper than taking actual cooking courses but if you actually know how to cook already its kind of useless unless you want to pay a large premium for convenience.

I figure I could try it out with the $30 discount and find some nice recipes that I would then just go to the fucking store to buy for

You can find nice recipes for free you literal retard

This unironically

How fucking white do you have to be to buy that shit

Also you can use foodstamps to buy Papa Murphy's

I don't like it.

1) overpriced

2) I don't want random produce that's been selected for me. When I buy fruits and vegetables I want to pick them out myself.

3) I can't shake the feeling that these sorts of services are used, in part, to sell off produce that's on the verge of going bad.

>use the same money you saved from not tipping on a service for people too retarded to shop for groceries

>for people who are shy about buying large quantities of perishable foods
I'd be more embarrassed if someone found out I signed up for a service like this.

>I'd be more embarrassed if someone found out I signed up for a service like this.
Thats because you're diagnosably autistic.

>You save money from not tipping
Oh fuck that c killed me

also on alcohol
$12 a glass for shitty house wine or I can get a good wine chosen by me and drink as much as I want

If packaged effectively, this could eliminate waste for the average family as well as provide properly sized portions and nutrition.

They need to optimize it to allow for you to define you and your family's TDEE.

Keep in mind, "average" to many people means driving to the grocery store in the oversized motorized wheelchair once a month, loading up on boxed Kraft Dinner, and burning 20 gallons of gas while idling in 8 lane suburban interchanges. It's a rather wasteful way to live, but this is the definition of "freedom" drummed into their heads.

Blue Apron customers usually live in urban areas and don't use personal cages much. Every mail room has a stack of these boxes in the evening. There's slightly more packaging per capita, but one motor vehicle delivers all of those meals for the entire building.

The nice thing about BA is that I don't have to attach a second pannier for groceries as much, so there's less drag, which is a real plus on windy days. This means I don't necessarily need to pick up a kouign amann after my shower and before I get in the elevator, which I might otherwise want to replenish my glycogen stores if I was fighting a headwind the whole way in. I don't recall exactly what the difference is but they're maybe $5 each so if I eat 3 fewer kouign amanns per week, that's like, $60 a month saved by using Blue Apron. The main reason I do BA is not to save money, but I like to be frugal, it's sort of a game I play with myself. Like, if I was one of those "economic anxiety" types in Fentanyl-land, I bet I'd manage alright without blaming all my money management challenges on minorities and gays.

Or you could just use the extra to cook more food

I can tell you haven't used BA, or you just aren't a variety seeking type.

One of the great things about the design is that you can have one-off ingredients every single time, instead of accumulating a mental illness hoarder stash of 500 different random jars of shit you'll use maybe once every six months, but which will more likely mostly go bad before you get to them again.

>beef ramen with whole sprigs of mint
God I hope those aren't the portions they want you to use. Using mint at all is nasty.

>Blue Apron customers usually live in urban areas and don't use personal cages much

Probably. But you have a myriad number of grocers available within walking or biking distance. Do you really want to leave it to Roberto to choose your veg, meat and fruit for you, sir fruit?

Blue Apron Inc. has deposited $0.02 into your bank account.
Remember, food is better when you start from scratch, so have some dinner, the Blue Apron ® way!

>Do you really want to leave it to Roberto to choose your veg, meat and fruit for you, sir fruit?

I don't understand the question. Is this a racism thing or an orthorexia thing?

If you think Roberto didn't fondle your vegetables a dozen times before it got to the shelf of your grocery store, you're in for a rude shock.

If you're a certain kind of orthorexic, BA is probably not the best choice for you. The meat and produce is not at the same sustainability and ethical standards as my local greenmarket which leans heavy on the biodynamic hippie moonbat side of things. For instance, you don't get a little flip book with pictures of the birds, and their names written in sharpie. You just get a cryo-vac of "organic" chicken meat from like, Pat Lafrieda or whatever.

That being said, the aesthetic qualities of the BA produce is at least as good as what I get at a "fancy" supermarket, and they do make an effort to get "heirloom" stuff, local stuff, etc. This means, btw, that it's aesthetically better than a lot of the hippie moonbat stuff at the greenmarket, which can have pinholes from bugs, visible dirt, funny shapes, and so on.

So if your particular brand of orthorexia is that your food has to be "spiritually clean" then, no, not for you. If on the other hand you're just a picky shart in mart who needs to have perfectly spherical tomatoes in a uniform bright red color, then BA is a great choice.

Good point

Please fuck off and never come back, you disgust me

Shut the fuckin up, anyone with half a brain could see buying your own groceries is less expensive. You juicero faggot

Of course it's not an argument you shit kicking retard. He's saying it's viral marketing, which it is

Just ate my first garden grown tomato today and it was fucking delicious and flavorful unlike the shit you buy at the store.

I live in the city and drive 2 minutes to a Kroger once a month in a sedan with my roomates. A fully loaded truck easily wastes more gas transporting that shit from their warehouse to each complex.

dont talk shit on papa murphy's, best pizza chain in the world

Take and bake is totally different. All the difficult preparation steps have been done for you. These subscription meal boxes are overpriced groceries and a recipe.

It's only really good if you just never have time to pick out good recipes, make a shopping list, and go to the store (provided the stores in your area actually have a good selection).

my partner gets it and it's actually saved her money, since she lives by herself and each meal is portioned for two people. makes dinner one night, has leftovers for lunch or tomorrow's dinner. she also told me that it's helped her branch out and try new things, and she's never gotten a repeat meal. she works at a pretty intense government job full time so she's just too tired to go out for groceries most of the time.

if you're the kind of person who does have the time and means to get good ingredients, don't bother. it's not really catering to you.

this is a white website, look at the demographics

we are not african americans of the urban sector

right fuck off

In america you are forced to tip extraordinary amounts making an 8.99$ meal (the price per meal on Blue Apron) become a 12$ meal. Perhaps you tip 10% on some silly rule but that will catch up to you.

Healthy meals put you even further up with 8.99$ eat out meals rare to satiate. You definitely are saving money over eating out.

No argument presented against Blue Apron in the end, other than what other user can actually discuss in this thread.

Saying >SHILL is really just shitposting, even when its obviously shilling it doesn't need to be said, the best way to defend against shills is present real arguments which can actually convince one that the product is bad.

thank you for your contribution

unintelligent

I would probably find two good recipes and then just cancel my subscription to buy them in bulk at the store

You don't need Blue Apron to do that

The funny thing is Amazon is probably going to either acquire or out-compete Blue Apron, and then this style of service will get more popular even in fentanyl-land among those who haven't succumbed to "economic anxiety", and then BA-style eating, like the newfangled cappuccinos, limes (or as some call them, "hipster lemons"), and sushi, will no longer be controversial except among the very poor and the very disenfranchised, who will continue to rail against it in the same way they rail against paying for services rendered while dining out, the existence of ingredients that weren't available in Indiana grocery stores circa 1957, alcoholic beverages other than beer and whisky, and fast food chains that didn't exist until the 1990s or later.

It would really be best to stop supporting American manufacturing so that those kinds of people can hurry up and die of a fentanyl overdose and we can re-populate those areas with high quality immigrants. Buy Japanese knives, people.

but I'm asian
why do slave state irrelevants always bleat about their escaped slaves when they start to feel confused or alienated?

the only thing i like about it is that it saves me from having to spend lots of time picking out ingredients in the local supermarket.

>recipe requires some spice/ingedrient that you will never use again and costs a lot of money

This is, imo, the only appeal of services like blu apron

All of the recipes are boring as fuck. If I was wealthy and busy enough to justify getting it, I would rather just order food.

what do you consider an exciting recipe? can you post an example?

>You save money from not tipping
I do that at the restaurant too

Pros: don't have to shop as much, helps teach you how to cook, don't have extra weird ingredients lying around afterwards

Cons: expensive, lots of packaging, you might not want to eat what they send you

My millennial cousin learned to cook by using Blue Apron but it's overpriced

>besides there aren't many restaurants that let you have food this nice
because you are the one cooking it you big moron
>im going to pay someone else extra to let me cook my own meal and not even let me pick the ingridients
walmart does home delivery, its the same fucking shit except you dont need a subscription or to wait two weeks fro your order

They don't have walmart in my city and even if they did, I wouldn't be caught dead ordering from them let alone going into one

they should expand into this system where they deliver big size boxes to you so you can make a lot of food and sell it so it pays for itself
imagine free food, you just have to cook and sell it for them and its entirely free for you

the only fuking difference is the fucking box
how maerican can you be?

>the only fuking difference is the fucking box
Really? Walmart lets you order 10g at a time of any ingredient you want?

its cheaper to buy every ingridient in big boy size from walmart than the little autistic one portion box they sent
god forbid its too much and you only need 70% of the food in the box, what will you do then?

>its cheaper to buy every ingridient in big boy size from walmart
Not if you throw out 98% of 10 random boxes.
>god forbid its too much and you only need 70% of the food in the box, what will you do then?
Well, when I used to do this, I'd be like "hmm I guess I'll put it in the cupboard until next time"

Then, ever 5 years, I would throw out a bunch of random shit that probably has weevils or something.

That god old, so, Blue Apron.

nonon, its 30% extra food, you cant have extra ingridients, its like going to the supermarket and coming with more than a sigle spoon of salt, the recipe doesnt call for a box of salt, it calls for a spoon of salt, how come they dont sell spoons of salt? it doesnt make sense

in fact blue apron is such a great idea they should expand
green apron for vegans
yellow aprons for people who eat gluten free
orange apron for people who dont like onions
we can cover the full spectrum

>salt
>this is what non-BA customers actually believe
Actually BA doesn't ship salt or other extremely common staples, just the weird stuff.

Just looking in my cupboard and fridge right now, I can tell you even with BA I'm still pushing dangerously close back to hoarder territory. I've got the following partially used items that are either basically poisonous by now, or at least, not optimally fresh:

>almond butter
>2 open jars of capers
>tahini which is probably still safe
>a jar of korean fermented shrimp about 1/3 used
>a large jar of fenugreek transferred from a giant bag that was starting to come apart
>a large jar of black mustard, same as above
>sweet paprika from possibly the first Obama term
>smoked paprika, probably from the second Obama term
>4 or 5 bottles of strong smelling stuff with Chinese all over it from possibly when Bush was president
>2 or 3 bottles of weak smelling stuff with Japanese all over it, god only knows
>a half-used lump of pressed Colombian sugar cane byproduct, possibly purchased around the start of the Syrian civil war
>several different kinds of weird asian and european vinegars other than aceto balsamico di modena DOCG which is pretty much the only thing I go through in any quantity
>20-30 different kinds of dry spices some of which are possibly up to 10 years old but I forgot to put a date on them
>a half used bag of black persian limes
>various dried chilis
>assorted dried mushrooms
>chaat masala from 2007
>not sure what else, this is only what's immediately visible

I guess I should go through that stuff and get rid of it but every now and then I'll use a few cardamom pods or whatever. I should just chuck it and get a new bag but hey, maybe it's fine.

At any rate, yes, Blue Apron is a pretty good idea, and I can tell from this discussion that you have a very limited repertoire of cooking styles otherwise you'd understand why a small amount of one-off ingredients is useful unless you just eat Kraft Dinner every day.

Fucking Web 2.0 generation wants their fucking food to be packaged up like pinterest incarnate.

What the fuck is wrong with the world?

Have you people ever heard of joing a CSA?

It's been a thing for decades now and the difference is you get an assortment of food from your local farm instead of from wherever the fuck jew apron gets it.

Mine costs about $200/month for 10lbs of meat/month and a bag of fresh vegetables/greens/fruits every week.

Check out eatwild.com for a list of farms that provide this service near you.

>Have you people ever heard of joing a CSA?
I had a CSA share for a year. It was a fun introduction to what life was like in pre-industrial times
>overload of more vegetables than I could use for 6 months
>bones, fatback, onions, and eggs for the rest of the year
>surprise project comes up at work? oops, your entire week's food supply just rotted lol
Was great for my #100milediet social media hashtag campaigns, then I grew up.

>just the weird stuff
like garlic or lemon or god forbid mint
who ever heard of that before?

Grasping at straws: the rebuttal

Mint is actually a great example, the stores around here sell it only in fuck huge bundles. With the exception of whole foods where you can get a fist sized bunch which, if I want to get creative, I can often use up. There are very few recipes where I can legitimately use a kilogram of fresh mint before it goes bad, and, no, I'm not interested in turning my kitchen into a leaf drying lab, or drinking mojitos until my liver falls out.

>wierd stuff
>clearly everything in the picture in the op can be bought at the supermarket

but yeah, i dont have 60 things around my kitchen because i actually cook my meals
i totally get why you need blue apron tho make sure to instagram me a picture of that super exotic lemon chicken you made that you took with your iphone

A line has to be drawn somewhere, and the line is somewhere between salt, and garlic.

Everyone always has salt around. You may or may not have run out of garlic at any given time - why not include it.

If you're just looking for reasons to get assblasted over the existence of a good idea, then of course you'll find other examples of ingredients that are, like, totally mainstream MAAAAAN. But, it makes sense to draw the line where they drew it, so that they don't ship packages that end up being unusable because someone didn't notice that a perishable staple had gone bad, or ran out.

>somewhere between salt, and garlic
oh my god, garlic is reallly an exotic ingridient to you?
where the fuck do you live? are you an eskimo or something?
sometimes i use an entire clove to make dinner

>Keep in mind, "average" to many people means driving to the grocery store in the oversized motorized wheelchair once a month, loading up on boxed Kraft Dinner, and burning 20 gallons of gas while idling in 8 lane suburban interchanges. It's a rather wasteful way to live, but this is the definition of "freedom" drummed into their heads.
????

As I said before, you are now grasping at straws

Of course garlic isn't obscure. Neither is beef, pork, or whatever else often comes in Blue Apron meals.

The point of this system is that the meal has to be self-contained with the exception of three, explicitly listed ingredients: salt, olive oil, and black pepper.

And, going back to your original argument, which was "the only fuking difference is the fucking box" - as we have clearly shown, that is not the only difference. A major difference is the fact that they send small amounts of one-off, uncommonly used ingredients. It does not follow from that that ALL the ingredients are Certified Exotic™. But of course, if you want to boast that you totally know what fresh garlic is for, I'm here to listen.

everyone is arguing with the shill OP about convenience without realizing blue apron is $60 per fucking week for 3 meals

They pick the safest recipes to appeal to their yuppie fanbase. Aka food that is somewhat fancy/exotic (e.g. udon or some glazed fish, shit you'd find in a cooking magazine on the rack in Whole Foods). I like cooking with cuts of meat that many people don't use, like liver or pig feet, because it's cheap and tasty.

Also what user said. I can feed myself like a king and eat out once a week on $60.

you seem to be really autistic irl, who spends this much effort shilling a bad service like ba?
I never tried it and i will never try it, like any other person that doesnt like getting ripped off, you wont find your elaborate discussion on an international cooking board about a service catering to cooking babies with too much money. I got my kitchen stacked with dry and durable ingredients, i rarely use, from all over the world, but i know every single thing i have in there. Thats what you build up over time when you like to cook, some of those things i go through fast, others not so much, but thats how its supposed to be. for me the tiny quantities are a huge turnoff, not building up a pantry is a huge turnoff, not going shopping yourself is a huge turnoff... did you ever try to cook at a persons place that didnt build up a pantry through cooking? it fucking sucks, if all my ingredients were gone from my kitchen id hate cooking, every single recipe would be blue apron expensive, since yeah, buying a bottle of shaoxing wine, sichuan pepper, a bag of hot pepper flakes, this shit is expensive when you have to buy it, but once you have it cooking becomes cheap as fuck and a different level of fun, since you can just shop anything and make it taste good. i bet i can make 100 different dishes,lasting 3 meals, with a chicken and 1 or 2 vegetables, spending 4€, which will all taste better than ba

>overload of more vegetables than I could use for 6 months

Ah I see, you're a fat ass who's idea of eating vegetables is a baked potato with a couple of grilled asparagus spears (with butter of course)
>Surprise project comes up at work oops your entire week's food supply just rotted

Lol, apparently you live in a place where CSA's are a thing but refrigerators/freezers are not.

Because I enjoy watching the NEETs try to justify why it's bad, and fail
No, I'm not fat, actually I am quite fit, and also I'm not sure what you have against asparagus with butter. What would be acceptable to put on asparagus? Anything at all? Is it ok to even salt the blanching water? Or is that for fatties too, in your mind?

As for the freezer, I didn't sign up for fresh produce just so I could stick it in freezer, I can just go down to the grocery store and get frozen Green Giant bags and save myself the trouble of having to cut it up first.

I think CSAs make more sense for people who are into canning and making kimchi and sauerkraut and that sort of thing. So they can have their instagram-ready #100mile hashtags in January when they're only getting bones and lard. See, my followers? I'm still eating vegetables even though it's -10 degrees outside! That's the idea, I guess, behind the overload of summer vegetables. Give you twice as much as you can eat, because you need to survive the harsh winter.

It's fine, I know it works for some, it's just not for me. I can live with produce from outside the #100miles when it's cold. I don't mind a little kimchi or sauerkraut now and then but not all winter long.

>helps teach you how to cook
if you need to be taught to cook you're automatically retarded. cooking is hardly even a skill; it's just something you do

There is a coupon for $30 off you can use the first week but fuck that is doubling the price afterwards from 8.99 per meal to 17.99

i was going to try it when i saw the coupon from ja/ck/ and then i realized i wasn't actually saving money. it's advertised as a meal for 2, so you're actually getting ~1000 calories per meal max. it wouldn't even feed you for an entire 3 days if you were alone.

It's not a real reason people use BA, I've never met anyone who signed up because "it teaches you how to cook". I mean maybe some people do that but that isn't the draw. Everyone I know who does it would be considered, by Veeky Forums, to be a "elitist cuck foodie hipster" who just got burned out on the overbearing #localvore #cleaneating nonsense that was all the rage in the '00s and just wants a reasonable middle ground that isn't grubhub delivery slop or having an anxiety attack over properly doing katsuramuki on the locally grown demeter certified daikon 7 nights a week.

It's good enough, it's not super expensive, and it's super convenient. That's all it is.

im friends with this one girl, really nice, honest person, but she just has no class.
she reads bad books, laughs about bad jokes, loves cheesy movies and has no taste in food, and i cant argue with that.
Thats what you are, blue apron shill, you can not argue with a person that has not enough class to realise they are paying premium for bland food they have to cook themselves, and think they are part of a foodrevolution while you are just consuming. its a fooddelivery+a random basic recipe, congratulations, i bet its worth the 20 dollar per recipe.

Every time you say "shill" you discredit your own argument

>i can't excuse the ridiculously high cost so i'll just point out that they used the word shill which wasn't part of their argument

you are not even discussing anything i argue,while complaining people are not not engaging in an argument, shill.
bottom line is, if you enjoy not having a say in whats for dinner, if you enjoy cooking somehing you did not choose to cook, if you got the 20€ per meal to spare, good for you. but why you are not ashamed of it is beyond me.
but i guess how you describe your friends ,
>"elitist cuck foodie hipster" who just got burned out on the overbearing #localvore #cleaneating nonsense that was all the rage in the '00s

probably explains the way you think and why i hate you so much

Good, let the butthurt flow

"Hay", I suppose? I don't see the point.

There's a grocery store less than a mile away from me that's very well stocked. I have no issue hopping in my car and going on a grocery run at least once a week.

I'm good at planning, and I'm a decent cook, so I don't see any value in these people telling me what I'm eating tonight. The only way it could be justified is if you don't have transportation, or are literally wealthy enough to not care that a home-cooked meal costs $9 a serving, when the nearby diner has big meals for $7.

sorry i dont want to eat at dennys literally makes me puke

hard to find recipes too and they seem to have nice ones hidden in these boxes

>hard to find recipes
>what is Google
>what are recipe books
Good to know that BA markets to dumb yuppies.

>dennys
No one mentioned Denny's.

>hard to find recipes too
What fucking planet do you live on?

youtube.com/watch?v=y-VjBxMufhw

I look up recipes and its either fucking girly "Tasty!" branded shit that focuses mostly on looks always uses ketchup and farmed salmon as the primary ingredient, or some celebrity chef with a camera man dealing with hyperactivity disorders like Chef Ramsay in example.

Not to mention his recipes are usually impossible to replicate.

Hey blue apron, you like fresh bread? I'm selling you the raw ingredients for bread so you can make warm fresh bread at only twice the price your local bakery sells bread for, what do you say? Can I sign you up for a three year supply deal?

Translation:
>I'm incapable of taking 12 seconds to scroll past the clickbait

>impossible to replicate
More like you don't actually know shit about cooking. Googling Tikka Masala gives me a recipe from Epicurious as the first result. Want authentic shit? Maybe try googling "authentic tikka masala" you dumb shit. Guess you like paying to be spoonfed.

I can't even get recipes in this god-forsaken place as most here would already have their recipes and just want to discuss memes or say "look at my pot mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmm" and discuss how you can "mmmmmmmmmmmm mmm mmmmmm"

I made this one 3 days ago

ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/3849-chicken-tikka-masala

I hope to god that you're a shill. I can't believe anyone would actually be this incompetent.
>coming to Veeky Forums for actual cooking

Aren't blue apron recipes online, they are selling you the fucking ingredients, you can just look at the list and buy everything at the store

It certainly should improve, don't tell me I need to search some other clickbait site

That's funny, because as ADD as this video is, it actually spells out virtually everything you need to do, assuming you understand the very basics of cooking.

All it involves is creating a sauce mixture, searing some chicken, then mixing everything back in and simmering a bit.

Serve with rice, and you're golden.