One of my knives has become chipped on the blade (and don't know who did it)...

One of my knives has become chipped on the blade (and don't know who did it). Any tips on evening it back out with the least hassle?

Now you have serration, just go with it!

Is this a photo of the actual chip? Why does your knife have holes in it and why is it only sharpened on one side?

LE SANTOKU MILLION FOLD STEEL ARMY REPORTING FOR LE DUTY

Get really low grit stone and start grinding. Once you finish with your low grit stone build back up to something like 1000 or 3000 depending on how you like your blades sharpened

That's fucked son. Either get a 1 grit stone and start working those biceps, or get it professionally ground out.

Next time get a less shit knife?

>1 grit
Is that just a pile of boulders?

It's not, just an example
"Well if the knife cuts..."

Eh, large river stone.

1800rpm bench grinder and a dousing pot. If the steel turns blue, you've ruined it.

OP here.
Just to clarify it's just a chip in an everyday paring knife. The chips are smaller and more isolated than in the example. If it's gonna seriously fuck the knife with a few small chips I'll just throw it away

low grit block to fix the chip then higher grits to fix the edge.

A good belt grinder would probably be even better temperature wise.

it is just me or the tape is set on the wrong side?

lol, that's just the machine, the band isn't on there yet, you tit.

I don't worry about chips. Works as serration. Just rub on stick and brick as usual.

If you're planning on sharpening knives the rest of your life, buy a professional sharpening machine. Or a band sander/grinder and some polishing compound and a strope.

Band sanders are better at sharpening but you need some skill, the sharpeners are idiot proofed.

Do you not own a camera or something?

cooks illustrated has a good buying guide for electric sharpeners but the main idea in it is to buy ones that use diamond to sharpen and not ceramic or otherwise.

don't use power tools on a knife retard

You don't know anything about tool steel, dipshit. I work in a lutherie. We know everything about steel, temper and annealing. Controlling the edge temperature is everything and a slow grinder, like an 1800 rpm grinder can be used on chisels, gouges, knives etc. If you know anything at all.

this unit uses diamond shards.

In a normal world you 'dress' the blade with a grinder, after that you hand sharpen from 400 to 4000ish. Either using oil or whetstones. After that you pull off the burr with jeweler's rouge/ polishing compound on either leather or denim.

But I've given up all that work and use a machine.

Razor sharp is razor sharp, however you get there.

I wouldn't do this unless you have some intense hours on a bench grinder.

But it's still not razor shorp.

If you're gentle and you don't have any hanging scarves or long sleeve shirts, you should be safe. You grind metal like you fire a machine gun. Gently and with reserve.

That guy has almost conquered his tardyness.

More worried about the blade. People new to it tend to over grind.

take it to your local grinder
It's not like they are rare

Dude if it's just a paring knife it's not that hard to get a new one

It is 1 stone

Use a steel.
It will sharpen the blade by removing metal and friction. :^)

>Treat muh delicate instrument with ebin respect and tlc

I mean, kitchen knives are thinner than the usual knife you'd use a big grinder on, so I can understand where he's coming from. You've got a point too, though. It's just a knife.

Using power tools is risky on such small knives
Very very very easy to ruin the temper if you don't do it gently and slowly. Might as well just use a stone so there is no risk

If the chip doesn't impair the knife's function too much just keep using it. if you you sharpen it regularly the blade wil be worn down over time and the chip will vanish. Don't give it to a professional grinder, all those guys do is remove a huge amount of meatl on a grinder and take off many years of the life of the blade just for the sake of aesthetics. And unless you know a knife sharpener who really knows what he is doing (those are few and far between) he may very well ruin the temper of your blade in the bargain.

>taking care of my stuff is bad
I used to have a roommate like you. She would run the microwave on empty instead of using a stopwatch, and then wonder why it kept needing to be replaced every 6 months. She literally believed "the goddamm chinks and their shitty products" were at fault.

Is this what most people do?
Mfw i bring mine to 8k on stones and around 12k with a strop after

It looks more like some sort of wooden ruler to me, not a knife.

looks like a planer blade

a microwave won't just kill itself

correct, retards like you need to kill them

you really think all the radiation is absorbed by the food? they're build to deal with the radiation they output

you really think some extra radiation for 60 seconds of microwaving a coffee is the same level of stress as 45 minutes of running an empty microwave?

i think any low quality microwave will die from 45 minutes of usage thats from overheating though,not from the radiation

Just so that you know, you have way too much chromium oxide applied to that strop.

>Or a band sander/grinder and some polishing compound and a strope.
Or do what I do and use a leather stropping belt on a belt sander.

I'm the poster you replied to
for regular maintenance I start at 1k grit, move up to 6k, deburr if necessary then strop on leather with green compound. Usually get a nice mirror finish after about 20 minutes of work.
If I have a small chip I'll start at 800 and work up, and if I have a big chip (which hopefully will never happen, I'll work up from my 300 grit. I have a 120 stone but I don't think I'll ever use it for anything, but it's nice to have in case I drop my HAP40 and it chips all the way down to hell