I've bought a bottle of bourbon for the first time. Jesus...

I've bought a bottle of bourbon for the first time. Jesus, I don't get it-- I bought my go-to beer Duvel along with some Woodsford reserve, and after having some shots I can't help but think "Why am I not drinking the Duvel right now? It actually tastes good-- this tastes like weird spicy listerine." Do I just not get it? Is it something you have to get used to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gszo2e2npkE
youtube.com/watch?v=k9Xo900woaU
homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well, yes and no. Mainly yes.

Uh, yes to which? I wanna like bourbon, but I can't see myself drinking this for any other reason than getting drunk quickly. I wouldn't have this shit with a meal or anything like that.

It is something of an acquired taste. It's not all that great taken in straight shots, it's much better to drink bourbon over ice with a splash of water. It brings out subtleties in the taste you can't really detect otherwise. Sip it slow and savor it.

Phenol alcohols make you think you're drinking toner ink. You need to outgrow that to taste, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Talisker, Ardbeg, Bruichladdich, or any other single malt.

Phenol burns out in the brain after a few bottles.

No.

Huh. You guys seem to really know your stuff. I'll be sure to keep both of these in mind-- thanks!

What have you tried?

4 roses single barrel is absolutely divine.

Like I said, this is my first Bourbon. First whisky outside of cocktails, too. It's Woodsford Reserve-- don't know why I picked it out of the others, I guess I just thought the bottle looked classy. I probably would have gotten Wild Turkey if not that, just because of a line I remember from a Stephen King book that said Four Roses and Wild Turkey were the bomb.

Stephen King didn't lie about Wild Turkey, that's for sure, it's a solid middle-price bourbon. Never tried Four Roses before though.

I just remember the first time I tasted Scotch. I thought it was poison. Not kidding, I thought I had drank something that might kill me.

Try Jameson Dry Lemon & Lime, or mix it yourself, I barely drink anything else now besides mixed drinks.
also try Mr Boston's Bartender Guide if you want to practice mixing some drinks, you can open that thing up for any mood you're in, it's well worth buy imo

adding lemon to whiskey is a misery. Don't do it to young people.

Are you drunk, user? Be honest.

Buzzed and wobbly, for sure, but completely stone drunk after only three shots? Nah, although a few years ago I might have.

That's an overly verbose way to say "yes."

I don't consider it 'drunk' until I'm actually giddy. Right now I'm just at 'pleasant mild vertigo'. But sure-- I guess that's drunk for most people.

I'm so hosed I can't remember songs. But I still know how to barrel juice.

That dipshit that replied to you wasn't me. However, I recommend you listen to this song.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gszo2e2npkE

woodford reserve is decent as bourbons go. bourbon in general is just, for lack of better words, the liquor only a flyover american could like.

Uh... I'm OP, actually. I can prove it, too: I didnt start this thread to talk about fucking music.

I remember my first time drinking pic related. I couldn't stand it. Now I think it's pretty good, but it's far from my favorite.

You might acquire a taste for whisky eventually, if you don't, it's not a big deal, whisky isn't for everyone.

Then you can drink Distillers Edition Lagavulin like I have then. Is this the kind of shit you care about?

what matters to you?

You don't talk about anything it seems, because you don't know anything, am I wrong?

op, if you want a starter whisky, wait until someone you know is traveling in east asia and get something japanese. there's a reason that the bottles of yoichi or hakutsuru that i pay 2500 yen for at 7-Eleven are $90 in the us.

does single malt scotch hit higher defined peaks? of course. but you need to know where your tastes lie before you even begin to pursue those, and nikka and suntory's named brands at home market prices are how you nail those down on the cheap.

do not at any point buy them in the west, because again that 350% markup

1. Stop taking shots
2. Pour the bourbon over ice
3. Let the ice melt with the bourbon for a couple minutes
4. /sip/ it slowly

This is what an asshole does in Alabama. Purchase a dram of Lagavulin, or Bruichladdich, or, you know a real Scotch.

Drink something real, or drink to get drunk.

>scotch
Anyone who refers to Scottish single malt whiskey as this is clueless.
Opinion discarded.

I know most of you people don't make your own booze, but some of us take it seriously.

stop being an asshole. Should I say single malt? Islay malt? Stop being a giant cunt. I've definitely drank more lagavulin than you've ever even looked at.

hey, fuckface?

>Do I just not get it? Is it something you have to get used to?

As you get older your taste also matures. Partly this is from experiencing different foods but it is also partly from your actual taste buds physically changing (some become less sensitive as your get older).
An obvious example is coffee, small children usually do not like coffee because it is too bitter for them, but by the time they reach their late teens they start to like the bitter taste.
Adults will usually start to like hard liquor over beer in their 30's. When an older guy compares beer to water and states he like liqour instead he isn't being a try-hard, that is literally how it tastes to him.
Don't force yourself to drink something just because of the image the drink has in culture. If you don't like it then don't drink it. But go back to stuff you don't like every few years because your tastes might have changed.

You're the dumb garbage of society that tax normal people. You're the detritus of humanity.

Scottish Whisky is spelled without the 'e' to differentiate it from liqour produced in other places.

older people like hotter food, bitter food and drink because it excites shit they normally don't taste. It's why Anthony Bourdain has a job.

>Anyone who refers to Scottish single malt whiskey as this is clueless.
>Scottish single malt whiskey
>Scottish whiskey
Is this bait?

wow.. no fucking shit. Who doesn't know this? I won't call you autistic, but that was an autistic statement.

>bourbon in general is just, for lack of better words, the liquor only a flyover american could like
Do americans actually believe this?

just point the gimps to this..

youtube.com/watch?v=k9Xo900woaU

have you ever physically made bourbon before?

homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725

Give that a shot, with all the enzymes you need to break down corn into sugar that yeast can eat.

Then you understand bourbon.

Any of you jokers ever make your own alcohol? Or are you all talking out of your assholes?

That's a nearly azeotropic solution at around 25C. You can get a 94%ish solution at room temperature without a vacuum but that takes a lot of energy.

This might be time for you to find out that in the alcohol market there is an entire category of beverage aimed at "not an enthusiast, just a regular normal guy/gal who doesn't like {thing}, just like you and me!"

They buy it because they heard it was cool to like {thing}, or their peers like {thing} and they want to fit in. These drinks usually meet the technical criteria to be called {thing} but they are designed by the top food & beverage scientists in the world to not taste like {thing}.

Other examples to avoid: Patron tequila in general, Tanqueray Ten gin, Meiomi or other horrible California '''''''pinot noir'''''''', american '''''pinot noir'''''', new world ''''''''pinot noir''''''' in general

the only people who get this overexcited about the ''''wrong''''' terminology are the underaged

Just trying to help you.
:^)

Technically you're correct as the word scotch has nothing to do with Scotland and whisky purists would certainly look down upon you for using it.
You're still tiresome though.

>Scottish whiskey
Nice.

Don't knock it back like a shot. Read up on how much water to add to open it a bit, and the ideal twmperature range to drink it at. Then take it slow when you drink it while you eat dinner, or relax outside, or something.

It will taste better once you've taken some sips, and can actually pick out some of the flavors, rather than just "mildly sweet alcohol."

Yeah, I noticed that when I tried just pressing the stuff up to my lips. When I did that I could kind of see how I could enjoy it. But I still don't taste any of this woodiness that people say is what bourbons are all about. That was primarily the reason I wanted to try bourbon in the first place.