My family is from Taiwan. My favorite Taiwanese dish is beef noodle soup

My family is from Taiwan. My favorite Taiwanese dish is beef noodle soup.

What country is your family from? What's your favorite dish?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My family is from Korea, and my favorite dish is the tsukemen served at Tsujta LA.

Palestine, musakhan rolls

Alabama, USA. Tomato-based seafood gumbo.

I was born in Japan, moved to the US from age 10-15, now back in Japan at 24.

Tsukimi Soba is one of my favourites, delicious. Variations of Nabemono are good also.

Controversial, but natto is one of my favourites snacks.

Scotland, probably curry

My family is from Maryland. My favorite dish is a bucket of live crabs doused with old bay seasoning and steamed with a mixture of water and beer.

pic related

how does the seasoning reach the meat?

As I said, you fucking DRENCH the suckers in it.

As the crab steams, the moisture circulates in the pot. This washes off some of the seasoning and causes it to mix with the water, beer, and vinegar at the bottom. This cooks the crab meat inside the shell and imparts a seasoned, vinegary flavor to the sweet crab meat without overpowering it's natural flavor. Then you dump them out onto some old news paper and crack them open, either with a mallet or your bare hands. You eat the claw and leg meats, scoop out the gills and crack open the shell to get at the 'breast meat' so to speak. Some people also like the mustard, aka the intestines, but i'm not a fan.

It's a lot of work for not much meat so you need a shitload of them, like ~a dozen crabs a person if you aren't eating anything else. People further south replace this process with a boil in which they boil crabs, shrimp, potatoes, corn, and sausage in seasoned water to get a fuller meal. But this is bullshit, do not boil crab you fucking mong. It makes the meat soggy.

The other acceptable way to eat crab is to let it molt and fry it while it's softshell, and then just literally eat the whole fucking thing, undershell and all.

This is a steamed crab with the dorsal plate removed. The strange according looking things being picked off right there are the gills. Inside, you can see bits of meat poking out. The lump meat is inside semi-ridgid compartments below the gills. Getting it out in good chunks takes some skill, and sometimes utensils might come in handy, though most experienced pickers will just pluck it out by hand.

You'll also twist off the legs to get the joint meat, and crack open the claws to get the meat there.

In that big empty hole is where the 'mustard' was, a yellowish clump of intestines (which have the texture and appearance of firm lumpy noodles) and if a she crab, possibly roe. Crab roe is a delicacy to some just like fish roe, though my family avoids eating she crabs for ethical reasons relating to fishery supply (also because they're more fucking expensive than males)

Here's some cleaned (but uncooked) crab (probably harvested for roe)

The bright orange stuff is the roe. The yellow stuff is the 'mustard', aka intestines. Males will be smaller, usually 2/3rds the size of a female, and not have roe obviously. You can also tell gender by the 'tab' on the dorsal shell (exactly how i'm not sure, consult an expert), which is a lever you use to pop open the shell, and i'm pretty sure either the crabs seminal and/or poop duct.

This is is a backfin with a sizable chunk of meat attached, this is how much you can expect to get from a leg/backfin on a lucky pull. This meat is what you get in the 'breast' too so if you don't get a pull you can still get at it by cracking the body open. Each of the eight compartments connects to one of the crabs legs/backfins.

This is considered a good bite of crab meat.

Finally, this is softshell crab. Like I said, you just wait for the crabs to molt, and then batter and fry the suckers before they regrow a new shell. You then eat them *whole*. Sometimes on a sandwhich. I prefer picking.

actual picture get. Enough spam from me

My family is from Italy. Favorite Italian dish is nonno's homemade gnocchis.

My mom is from Haiti and my favorite dish is probably pâté.

looks fucking amazing. however everglade heat is one of the best seasonings ive encountered

They're from Slovakia, so it's gotta be halušky. Pierogi sucks, don't listen to the shills

You know that normal people kill the crabs before they boil them alive. It makes absolutely no difference to taste, just means your not a hypocritical cunt sadist.

MD bro here, parents dropped me a ton of Old Bay crabs, but I dislike crabs. Care to take them off my hands?

Brazil.
Sopa de Macaco.

I always wanted to do this and put it on a bun to make a crabby patty

'Sup, fellow Slovak. Bryndza (unripened sheep cheese for those not in the know) and bacon are best toppings

My favourite though is probably the traditional Christmas meal (or close to it I guess)

Kapustnica for first course - cabbage soup with mushrooms and spicy smoked sausage
Potato salad and deep fried fish for second course. Traditionally it's carp, we just do fillets like tilapia or something because nobody wants to pink out bones and slaughter a fish you kept for three days in your bathtub.
Usually do a shot of something tasty at the beginning of the meal (rum, brandy, slivovica, idk)

>Palestine
Never was a place

Dutch.

Boerenkool stamppot met worst, uiteraard.

Mexico, pork pozole.

I ask my mom to make it for my birthday every year since it's cold as fuck in Chicago in December.

Stop being wrong
Also stop defending war criminals

I am from the Netherlands and we probably have the worst local cuisine on this damn earth, I don't like Dutch dinners at all except poffertjes,haring and stroopwafels but those are snacks.

The thing is that I recently read some historic research on this topic and it happens that at the end of the 19th century most Dutch middle-class households switched to blue-collar family style dinners because it would be 'more nourishing'. It has also something to do with Dutch culture in general, where frugality traditionally was seen as a noble trait (thank you Calvinism) but yeah Dutch dinners are just absolutely shit

I'm American, but my ancestry traces back to France, Ireland/England/Scotland, Latvia, Germany, and Italy. So I guess I'm a little bit of (almost) everything in western Europe. My favorite dish is Indian, though, and is all vegetables.

Hey, I'm not Dutch but I live work here. DESU, I don't think your cuisine is THAT bad.

It's not sophisticated. Like hearty food is OKish but you won't find much of a meal to feast on.

I've grown fond of stamppot. Nothing wrong with it as a weekday dinner.

Actually affected by your lack of decent fast food. You don't really have anything that comes close to a meat pie in both taste and convenience.

For the record, I'm Australian but my mom's from the UK and my Dad is Sicilian.

how do you kill a crab

Stamppot is truly exemplary for the Dutch kitchen: shit is probably the most unrefined dish I've ever eaten anywhere. But yeah, 'it is convenient and it nourishes the people so you shouldn't complain'.
Know that people like my grandfather and his generation ate every dish in the 'stampot-way', just pulverize everything on your plate into one big blob and then eat it.

Well I think that regarding fast food it isn't as bad here as it is with normal dinners , a good kroket or frikandel can be delicious

half greek / half turkish here:

Greek side, definitely fire-roasted skewered whole lamb and its variabilities like kokoretsi (basically a skewer of all its offals, also slow spit fired)

Turkish- so many foods, but I can never pass a good Gözleme

You can stun it by putting it in the freezer 5 mins prior to boiling, or striking it in the head with the blunt end of a knife.

or Doner kebab fuck i love that shit

Germany
the shame of being german

I'm Polish, I like a lot of different stuff
as far as Polish cuisine goes i.e.
>clear borscht with ushka (small pierogis filled with meat or mushrooms)
>rich chicken soup with egg pasta, lots of herbs and pepper
>many different types of pierogi
>chanterelle crepes with creamy sauce
>potato pancakes with sour cream
>steak tartare

Thailand, fave dish is Som Tam.

It's a salad made with unripe papaya.

USA, Italian ancestry
Grandma made such a great pot of sauce :'(

>half greek / half turkish
Aren't you a walking internal conflict.

Lebanese, oxtail potjie

On the contrary, I choose whatever side is winning in an argument of which country is best :^)

I'm greek and austrian. I hate both greek and austrian food :^)

I'm from North Carolina, my family is mainly Scottish and Irish in ancestry. It's hard for me to pick a favorite dish, but NC style pulled pork barbecue is definitely in my top 5. No other state even comes close to making pulled pork as good as we do. Well, actually South Carolina is pretty damn close, but besides them no one else! The tangy vinegar sauce, the kethchup-based slaw, thr hush puppies on the side, its really comfy.

do you enjoy being wrong

I was born in Canada, but my parents are from Vietnam, my favourite dish is Bánh bột lọc. Its pretty much a clear dumpling with pork and shrimp inside.

Argentina, Italian heritage on one side and Spanish heritage on the other.

Favourite dishes:
Patagonian Lamb
Gnocci with "four cheese sauce"
Sushi

Dumplings and rice with anything.

And I have this one too. They are Japanese dishes. I ate these in Osaka, Japan.

Born in California, raised in TN. Fried catfish with spinach casserole is my favorite dish.

My family is from French. My favorite French dish is le croissant with le fromage and le bierwurst.

Italy
I don't really have a favorite, but I could go for some of these right now.

>le croissant
>le fromage
>le bierwurst
one of these is not like the others

Most of my family is originally Irish or German (like a whole lot of Americans).

But I'm from the central coast of California, and my favorite dish is tri-tip.

Aussie probably a good roast beef/pork/lamb/chicken dinner

German here, all of my family too.
My favourite dish is probably Haxe.
Maultaschen and grilled lamb meat are good too.

Puerto Rico

Mofongo with cuajitos

Mofongo : Ball of mashed up plantain, sometimes they add garlic, bacon , or other ingredients to improve or add to the flavor.

Cuajitos: hog maw. Usually seasoned and served in a 'broth' of different seasonings

Forgot to post picture

Poland.

Słodkie kopytka z serem.

It's essentially dought based on potato and cheese.

Usually goes with some bread crumbs fried on butter. What do you call that in english?

Shit, picture.

South East England born and raise, furthest I've ever travelled is Cornwall, home of traitors and some of the finest cider I've ever tasted

My favourite meal is a tough one but I'd have to say steak simply because for the longest time it's all I'd order at a restaurant. A good bit of rump steak, cooked to either medium/medium rare depending on recommendation, chips on the side with either rarebit, diane or blue cheese sauce. I like the flavour of the steak, I use the sauce to dip my chips and enjoy both. Steak doesn't do it for me on its own (Underseasoned, etc;) I get the sauce on there and mop up any steak juice with my chips, still an enjoyable meal

It's just so safe and satisfying, I've yet to have a single experience eating steak where I felt hard done by. Always made me want to visit America and see what your apparently giant steaks are like. That and Clam Choweder. And proper Tex-Mex. And proper Pho. And Southern food

Fuck I'm hungry

Dought based on potato and cheese that usually goes with some bread crumbs fried on butter is what I would call it.

My family is from Gilligans island, and for me it is the mcdouble, the best cheeseburger money can buy.

Oh man, America will be a treat for you then. Like you, I love to eat what the locals eat when I travel - here in the States or overseas. As I'm sure you know, we have tons and tons of variation, even with things like steak and BBQ.

I'm the Californiafag from a few posts up, and what we call barbecue really isn't -- it's grilling. Re: steak, you want to try the local specialties. In NYC, go to Peter Luger. Hands-down the best steak I've ever had, and I lived in NYC for a couple of years and tried most of the best spots.

Con't
On the other hand, in my neck of the woods, go to Jocko's in Nipomo, California. A fancy steakhouse it is not, but it's amazing local "BBQ."

Mexican and chiles en nogada are GOAT

I'm Korean and my favorite dish is Kimchi. Good Kimchi is to die for and there's so many different kinds usages and flavors. So many applications. It's healthy too and makes my body feel very good

I'm Finnish and I love me some hot crisp mustamakkara with lingonberry jam and maybe some potato salad like they used to serve in school.

ahhhhhh, no wonder the euros are flooding their borders with somalis. I know what the women do with them, and now I know what the men do with them.

South Portugal, fish on the grill and boiled/sauteed seafood, there are a few meat dishes that are nice too but fresh fish is on another level

>muh europe muslim boogeyman

Strange, Finland has .8% Muslim population, the same as the US. You got your popgun loaded yet? Getting ready to fight your boogeymen that keep you from growing, lel.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country

do you see me eating boiled somali cock?

Yeah, Sweden is the country that's taking it in the ass like a slut hungry for stinking, still-got-the-waters-of-the-Med-on-it BBC.

I don't understand what's behind Sweden's lust to fuck over its own people by inviting the swarm into their country. Some kind of collective daddy issue?

>pekka complaining about Sweden again

kek

Not an English word, but you could argue gnocchi (which is pretty commonly known) might get you close to an equivalent. It's usually potato and flour rolled into narrow strips, cut into smaller pieces, and then indented with a fork. They're often boiled lightly then followed up by a quick fry in oil or butter. Usually served with tomato sauce or pesto, and I know some recipes can contain herbs so I'm sure you could add some cheese to that dough, too.

I was trying to find out what they were after I saw it on a Gordon Ramsey show, but he pronounced it nyoki, which I guess is correct phonetically, but it was a pain in the ass to find out what it was.
Gnocchi is used as the word for the type of pasta that looks like a seashells kinda in most of the world.

In Korea crabs are marinated and eaten raw. A bit of a different take and texture you'll never find here in the US.

recipe pls

My dad's side of the family is from El Salvador, we love pupusas.

Most blue crabs are caught in South Florida and sent to Maryland. In South Florida they are almost never eaten for some reason.

fucking god tier

elder god of german food

>never find here in the US.
they have those in koreatown in my city, sounds like you just live in a flyover state

Michigan, USA

Crab legs

It's blood sausage. Pig blood and crushed rye. Been around since the middle ages.
You should try it instead of going all /pol/ on food.

I've just seen them called shells when that's what they look like, I've only seen gnocchi refer to the dumplings with potato.

See, I wasn't crazy, these things are really popular here

mashed plantain is mangu, mofongo is fried and stuff.

Dominican

Love Oxtail with white rice

Another favorite food of mine is Sugar Cane

peru. rocoto relleno

It is still mashed plantain, the only difference is that we fry it before. I wasn't giving them the entire recipe.

Wisconsin. I love a good brat cooked and eaten with family.

but tsukemen isn't Korean

Argentina
So, as expected, yes, dulce de leche

that's just ramen with beef

First gen Italian American...family came from the north.
Believe it or not...we had a ton of great vegetable dishes that I loved.
Steamed artichoke, grilled green beans, breaded eggplant....
Of course the old timers had "meats and sauce" and pizza and all that...
But I was always amazed at how many vegetarian dishes come from
Italy that go unnoticed...nothing you'd find on a menu, anywhere USA.

Dutch here. I absolutely detest dutch dishes, but I guess herring is OK. It might be an autistic thing but I can't stand food that is mashed together wich is the majority of dutch dishes.

I'm more in favour of oriental and mediterranean dishes.

Italy
Osso Bucco on polenta
Best part is sucking out the marrow at the end

Same senpai. Good meal to have before hacking up a drug mule with a 5 dollar machette