Paella

Im making a Paella tommorow for the first time, Its a mixed Chorizo/chicken/seafood Paella and im using tumeric instead of Saffron

Any tips on how to make it extra tasty?

I prefer when the rice is a little gooey and sticky, will onion alone create that effect or is there something I could add?

>im using tumeric instead of Saffron
lol

better just to skip the saffron unless you are trying to make some kind of fucked up ethnic fusion dish

Does it have a strong flavour?

I was only using it for colour really

for future reference randomly substituting ingredients whose properties you're completely unfamiliar with is not really a recipe for success

and yes, it's got a distinct flavor and aroma, you're going to end up with curry rice

poor latin americans traditionally switched to anatto for color when they couldn't acquire saffron, but it doesn't look like saffron color at all

just get some smoked paprika like normal people, saffron is nice to have but you don't need to wreck your food looking for an exact color match

Fry the sofrito for a long time to make it nice and tasty

Curry rice sounds terrible

Maybe I should avoid Tumeric then

Everyone told me to substitute tumeric but I think they mostly used it for rice to serve with curry so maybe that why it didnt matter so much

turmeric can be great with rice, just, stop listening to people telling you it's a substitute for saffron, because it's not

there is no substitute for saffron, but if there was, it sure as hell wouldn't be turmeric

Add MSG

would american saffron be a substitute to saffron?

As others have said, do not use tumeric. If you want to buy saffron on the cheap, you can get the Bandia brand in the Mexican section of many grocery stores. Otherwise, a great option is to use Vigo or Mahatma brand yellow rice. It has (a tiny amount) of saffron and anatto in it.

What type of chorizo are you using? For the love of all that is holy do not use Mexican chorizo. Spanish and Cuban chorizo is nothing like that; they are firm sausages instead of the really fatty mush. It will conflict with the flavor profile as well. Use a regular or spicy breakfast sausage type link instead if you don't have a Spanish, Cuban, or Portuguese chorizo.

Properly made paella will not have gooey / sticky rice. The gooey / sticky property of rice comes from steamed rice that has had the excess started rinsed off.

>Any tips on how to make it extra tasty?
Use plenty of olive oil. Add 1/4-1/2 a stick of butter (in a coupe of dozen little pieces that will melt into the rice) the last 10 minutes of cooking. Also, be sure to crank the heat on the stove the last few minutes of cooking to make a nice crust. It should be slightly browned on the bottom, not burnt, so keep an eye on it. Also, don't be shy with the tomatoes.

Good luck, user. Paella is one of my all time favorites. Being able to make a really good one really helps impress the ladies as well.

The chorizo is good spanish chorizo, ill definitely add a little butter, good shout

I`ll nip out today and try o get some saffron

You need to use special rice for paella.

I hope you are aware.

Yeah I have paella rice

Don't bother until you have saffron. It's not paella without it.

I ate paella one year ago this day. I enjoyed it

I just bought some now

Its worked out like £2-3 for saffron for this paella alone, but since its the first time im making it I guess its worth doing it right

>chorizo
>tumeric
>chicken and seafood

might as well make fried rice senpai

OP here

Paella went well, thanks for the advice

Did anyone go to Spain to a restaurant where spanish people were at and eat paella? How different was it from the paellas at home?

It never occurred to me that paella is basically a Spanish jambalaya. It seems so obvious in retrospect.

more likely the other way round

Get a load of garlic cloves, 8 or so, and just quarter them and throw in when you've cooked the onions. It just sort of melts into the rice and creates seams of sweet garlicky flavor.