Do toaster ovens serve a valid niche in a home kitchen that already has a full range?

Do toaster ovens serve a valid niche in a home kitchen that already has a full range?

I used to use mine for when people were cooking so I could eat something quick and not have to bother with them.

They provide the versatility of a low temperature oven with the convenience similar to a microwave

Yes, for heating up small things. Better results than microwave, much faster than full sized oven

They save on your power bill because they heat up quickly without also heating up your entire kitchen.

I find them pretty useful for making a few chicken tendies at a time; better than the microwave since that would make them soggy and and the oven would take too long to get going.

Gold for hot time of year
I ain't heating up a cubic meter of air for my single serving frozen lasagna when it's 90 degrees indoors already

This 100% and if you already have something like meat in the oven and need to do something else at a different temp like roast veg or toast croutons.

Saving electricity and time on smaller items

But seriously if you couldn't figure this out on your own then you're probably fucking retarded

It's good for things that you want to get sligtly browned/burned becuase the food is about two inches from the heat source.

>he buys shitty appliances

Like others have said, it's great for heating up small items without the energy use and heat output of your main oven. Saves time, too, mine heats to 350 in around a minute instead of five or ten for my big oven. I do salmon and chicken and veggies in mine all the time. It's good for random small things too, I made candies pecans in it over the holidays

I meant that seriously. Some things are good with a browned crust.

You can lower the rack away from the heat source if you don't want it.

ranges take a long time to get to heat and waste a fuckton of electricity in the process. if you're cooking for one you don't need to fire up your fucking range to bake some tendies

I spatchcock chicken in my breville toaster oven.

I make fucking Spatchcock chicken in my toaster oven.

Piri piri Chicken

2 tbsp McCormicks piri piri blend
3 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Herbes de Provence (thyme or Italian blend may work)
2 tbsp White wine vinegar
1 tsp Salt
4 Garlic Cloves minced/finely chopped

optional:

Liquid Macarico piri piri hot sauce to taste (approx. 2tsp)

mix well

Use Jacques Pepin recipe for application instructions and cooking.

I have the same one, in my little nyc apartment with no real oven. It's handy.

I sometimes think about getting one so I can bake stuff in the summer without turning my 1 bedroom apartment into a torture chamber.

Then I usually forget about it again until the next year. I'm already used to not baking in the summer. It seems normal to me.

I dont have an oven installed in my place so i got a toaster oven. I don't think i could live without it. I use it at least 4 times a week. Yesterday I cooked a lamb roast in it so it's not just for tendies

If you are single or not feeding a family of 6...a good toaster oven will see more action than a full-sized oven. Now i dont mean some $30 Presto...spend the money. In the last 8 years i have used my regular oven like 5 times. My toaster oven however is used 1-3 times a day 4-7 days a week. A good toaster oven can be used as a salamander.

One thing i have never used my toaster oven for...toast. They are horrible for toast.

Shut the fuck up. That doesnt even make sense.

That makes complete sense what's wrong with you

Are mini ovens good for making a 1 person meal? Like chicken, steak, pizza, etc. I currently don't have an oven and a built in oven is not possible in my appartment.

Yes.

steak, no. pizza and chicken yes. the best you can do with steak is use the toaster oven to get internal doneness to where you want it AFTER searing it in a cast iron pan or whatever (though that's only really necessary for thick cut steaks like 1.5" or more)

I use mine for making baked potatoes. Easier than heating up the big ass oven for 1 small potato.

I can cook an entire chicken in mine.

Mine has a rotisserie in it. Normal ovens don't have that!

We had a toaster oven in a small office I worked in. I'd always toast my sandwiches

>toasted bread
>melted cheese
>warm meat (crispy salami was the best)

Pleb tier for sure but much better than cold out of the fridge or room temp out of a brown paper bag

Absolutely. They're great when you need to do something small that doesn't warrant heating up the big oven.

They're also handy when you're cooking a large meal and need to bake things at two different temps. You can have stuff going in the main oven at one temp and then the toaster oven at a different temp.

Yes.

I can bake in the toaster oven for two without using my real oven which is a waste just for a few roasted thighs or a couple of fillets.

Get one that is also a regular oven with more than just a toast setting.

I have different size pans and pots. Having a smaller oven for smaller jobs is good.

If you ever need to Carboxylate your marijuana for edibles, you can use a toaster oven outside so as not to stink up your house.

Good for toasting sandwiches.

what temperature and how long?

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I do 250F for 30 min.

As for the smell, you can easily avoid that by wrapping your bud in foil. spread it out in a thin layer so it heats evenly and quickly.

I don't care about smell I am just worried about wasting it by burning it or overdoing it and I haven't found many online instructions to be helpful.

bump

I'm moving into an apartment soon and I need a toaster. I can either buy a regular toaster or get a toaster oven from grandparents for free.
I only ever toast bread or bagels or whatever, would a toaster oven be viable for just that or just inefficient? It's also quite large, so that's another thing.

>reheat pizza or other small dishes
>bake something without heating the whole house
>toaster + oven

>the versatility of a low temperature oven
What is "versatile" about a low temperature oven? You can what...dehydrate food or make creme brulee? How is any "low temperature" oven more versatile than an oven that gets hotter? Most toaster ovens go to 450. Not "low temperature".

>the convenience of a microwave
The only thing convenient about a microwave is speed. In all other respects a microwave oven is vastly inferior to either a toaster or full-sized oven.
Toaster ovens while practical and convenient in their own way cannot even approach the speed of a microwave meaning their convenience...initial cost, operational cost, countertop footprint, and reduced radiant heat signature...cannot be compared to that of a microwave because they operate only marginally faster than a regular oven.

This is why you are retarded.

microwaves are better than ovens for steaming veggies.

If you want to toast bread and bagels get a toaster. A bad toaster will still work better for toast than a good toaster oven.

A toaster heats quickly and the coils are very close to the bread. This browns the bread surface while leaving the inside soft and moist...good toast.

A toaster oven has the elements quite far from the bread meaning it takes longer to brown the bread...meaning very dry and crumbley toast....bad toast.

No. Microwaves are better at microwaving vegetables than ovens.

If you microwave fish in a bowl of court-bouillon would you call it braised?

I would call it boiled.

Absolutely. I loved rotisserie until I learned about spatchcocking. It guarantees to uniformity of cooking of rotisserie with the ability to season every side of the bird. I actually retired my bbq rotisserie because of this.

Well you would be wrong. I meant poached...not braised and no...it would be microwaved.

Absolutely. I use mine multiple times a week. Makes reheating leftovers and grilled sandwiches actually worth doin. As others have said it heats up instantly and is a lot more energy efficient. Seems like 9 times out of 10 I use the toaster oven. Girlfriend uses the fancy gas oven more than I do. Pic related. I do use the shit out of the range though. Glad to be rid of that electric bullshit