Do you support local businesses, Veeky Forums?

Do you support local businesses, Veeky Forums?

no

NO

I don't go out of my way to do it, no

Only because I live within walking distance of my farmer's market. There really isn't that much difference.

yes

I live in a small village, there's a family-owned grocery store right down the street and the nearest walmart is 25 miles away

If I wanted to get fucked I'd head to Wholefoods naked with 'free range' sticker attached to my dick.

No. I support globalism.

You mean do I preferentially steer my consumption towards goods and services owned "locally" irrespective of any other factor? No. Do I sometimes support local businesses out of convenience as long as I don't have any reasons not to? Sure.

Take the farmers market example for instance. There are two places I would habitually get bread from. One was a bakery based in Rhinebeck, NY. The other was a sort of cultish community way upstate near the Massachusetts border.

The Rhinebeck based one is owned by some racist asshat who inherited the joint from his parents. I didn't find out about the racism until I had been eating their stuff for years. The other one believes in a lot of weird stuff but it's pretty much harmless weird stuff.

The quality standards are better at the cultish place but the racist place had a somewhat better selection of sticky sugary breakfast stuff.

Obviously, I completely stopped patronizing the Rhinebeck one when I found out what they're like in real life. I'd rather just give my money to Maison Kayser (a foreign bakery chain) than support people who actively make my community worse. But luckily there's still the cultish vendor so I only need to go to Kayser when the market is closed. Like that time I ran out of honey and had to get grocery store honey from Jammu and Kashmir because my local beekeeper weirdo is the only local that I'm pretty sure isn't a racist, and I'd rather just support some faceless muslims 8000 miles away than a local white guy who makes my community worse.

Keep on being you, anion :)

I'd say this post is bait but knowing this faggot board you probably came from reddit and immediately found yourself at home

>browses faggot boards
hmm

Good ones, yes.

This means 2-3 takeaways, a garden centre/farm shop, and a few convenience stores that are actually convenient or offer something I can't get elsewhere.
When eating out or touristing, I'll got for smaller places because they have more character and variety than chains.

Otherwise, I hate my local area and want everyone in it to die.

No, they don't support me so they can fuck right off

no I support poor third world farmers and not some fat first worlder pigs

a racist in a community or racists really isn't making it any worse though is he?
sounds like you're just salty that you don't fit in

unsubscribe

I live in Hong Kong and my building complex is built on top of a mall. I'm typically too lazy to venture outdoors for food so I normally choose a restaurant in the mall. My choices are:
Banquet place
Soup place with no English menus
Local cafe
Local cafe fast food chain

The first two are nonstarters because I'm not going to be eating banquet sharing meals by myself and I can't read Chinese and asking the staff to read the menu to me is too embarrassing. The thing is, the local cafe is actually pretty crappy compared to the fast food place right next to it. However, the independent restaurant has more selection and bigger portions, so I probably eat at them both equally.

As for groceries; my old apartment was next to a wet market so I used to do all my grocery shopping there, but now I just go to the supermarket in the mall.

I'm pleased by how much this post triggers /pol/

don't forget to tell your boyfriend about it, faggot

I bet you kiss girls, faggot

don't try to turn this around on me, baka

only because they're usually better than chains

It doesn't take much to ruffle the /pol/tards' girlish panties. If you mention you had a polite conversation with someone not 100% white, that's enough to send them spiralling out of control.

I haven't ever been to a farmers market. Is the produce supposed to be cheaper though because of the markup at the store?

a lot of "farmers" markets have the same people that sell produce to the grocery store selling it to the public at grocery store prices

just go walk through the local produce section before hitting up the market and you'll see what I'm talking about

The produce actually tends to be more expensive, but you're paying for better quality, locally grown produce that is fresher and tastes better than the bland crap shipped in from Mexico or South America or wherever that you get in the grocery store.

>everyone who isn't 100% politically correct at all times is /pol/
Everyone is a fucking racist on some level. Back to tumblr for you.

>grocery produce wholesalers selling at farmers markets.

At larger markets, sure, but those people are easy enough to distinguish from small and medium sized farmers. Most farmers are happy for you to visit their farm as well if you express a genuine interest in learning about what they're doing.

My farmers market has a strictly enforced rule that the products must be grown within a 50 mile radius by the vendor to eliminate the wholesaler issue.

No because I'm poor af

Not to mention I just like to meet the people who make whatever I'm buying. it's nice to chat with business owners and get outside and enjoy something from a food truck in the good weather, not that anyone on Veeky Forums ever goes outside.

the guy said he cannot support a racist baker because he is racist, but also that he thinks everyone except an apiarist within that community is the also racist.
is it not easier for him to just move to the coast then try to boycott all of his neighbors?

Yeah I support my local McDonalds every day.

sure do. I get the freshest stuff there. Always buy raw milk, good eggs, seasonal vegetables and fruits and mangalizza ham for the whole week.

>tfw a farmers market is expensive hipster shit in the US
>tfw it's considered completely mundane in my second world shithole

The produce in local businesses is just as awful as in chain stores

>tfw not a homegrowman

>also that he thinks everyone except an apiarist within that community is the also racist.
No, that's just your triggered /pol/tard fee-fees talking, you're probably one of those people who gripes about how he's always being unfairly branded a racist, yes?

No one ever said everyone in or around NYC is a racist, and for the record, the reason people call you a racist IRL is because you're a racist who says racist things, not because you're an oppressed straight white male.

>"because my local beekeeper weirdo is the only local that I'm pretty sure isn't a racist"

Am I safe in assuming English is not your first language? Maybe you need to brush up some more.

Oh, that was a typo. I meant to say "only locally available domestic honey"

But feel free to imagine me as the boogyman who speaks with an accent, literally destroying your freedom one strained syllable at a time

Why are you baiting and shit posting on ck when you could just go to /pol/ and flame the people you want directly?

And exactly what are you doing if not flaming the people you don't like and trying to shut down constructive discussion of food?

The op is literally asking if we support local businesses, with an image of a farmers market, which is an invitation to answering whether we support local businesses, particularly with respect to farmers markets, and, by extension, the reasoning behind our answers.

My posts could not be more on topic both from a thread perspective and a board perspective.

Yours on the other hand, are not. I invite you to leave if this bothers you.

Your posts are racially charged hate speech, how dare you pretend to be a contributor in good faith.

>Restaurants
Yes, a lot of locally owned places nearby with great food

>Farmer's Market
I would if they would stop setting up in inconvenient areas miles away from where I live or work

>Brewers
Sure, although the one closet to my house got an infestation of IPA hipsters, so the place has become rather intolerable to hang around. Still buy their lager at my local grocery though.

>Everything else
Depends on location, convenience, and cost.

Pssssst, if you drink craft beer it doesn't matter whether it is IPA or not, you're a hipster, pass it on.

LMAO. Fine, I'll keep brewing my ales and going to microbreweries when I go out for drinks then. It's laughable that you think anyone gives a shit that the only beer you think is drinkable are adjunct macros brewed to appeal to women during WWII. You literally have feminine taste in beer.

>Lol fine! *goes on to make baseless attacks on his critic*

you sure seem like a cool guy, not a closeted 'mo at all

I try as often as I can. Otherwise I grow it myself, really.

No. They all suck and are overpriced.

>but MUH INGREDIENTS MUH EXCLUSIVE PIZZA STORE ITS SOOOO GOOD U DONT KNOW WHAT UR MISSING...:) FUCK DA CORPORATIONS BRO!

Fuck off.

Hey paisano, extra pesticide on my pie, please!

>live in a shitty bland district with homogenized apartment complexes
>everything around is starbucks, mcds, subways, brand restaurants and mall food courts
>brand grocery stores
>brand hobby shops, brand sport shops, brand tool shops
>brand gyms
>even infamous mcdojo brand is here
>absolutely no small business around
I'd like to, user...

I bet you live in Houston, most diverse city in America