Egg Plant Dicussion

Egg Plant is a very diverse food that doesn't get enough attention.

Post all your egg plant dishes.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>absolutely no nutritional value
Waste of a plant

Taste; no taste

Sure it has 20 calories per cup, but it does have some fiber and vitamins to offer.

I've had fried egg plant, eggplant parmesan, and eggplant in Szechuan sauce, I think.

Egg plant being low in calories and high in essential vitamins is far from being a waste. Are you the type of person who thinks of pizza as a vegetable?

That's part of what makes it so diverse. You can impart any flavor you want to it. Egg plant acts as a medium delivery system for those flavors making it a unique vegetable to cook with.

We tempura egg plant at work for a bao bun that includes kewpie mayo and pickled green papaya. Very good actually.

baba ganoush may be the single best use of egg plant

Did you just give me hiv?

I like to just cut up a whole one and put it in everything I cook for a day or two- an omelet, a stir-fry, a pasta sauce, etc.

It's not that interesting a food but it's a good change-up if you're on a health kick and are sick of the staple veggies you've been using.

Hungry Intensifying Vastly? Yes, you now have HIV for egg plant.

Steamed shanghai style. Steam until tender, top with scallion, garlic and ginger, make it sizzle with a spoonful hot oil then add some soy and chianking vinegar sauce.

It fills you up for almost no calories and its delicious. It's a godsend.

It think it looks nice. Every time I see one I want to buy it, but it always ends up shriveling up uneaten. I'm sure a decent cook can turn it into some tasty delight, but I can't.

eggplant omelet.

I like eggplant parm

shakshukah

ratatouille

>Egg plant being low in calories and high in essential vitamins is far from being a waste. Are you the type of person who thinks of pizza as a vegetable?
It's also low in flavor and awful texture, which is why the only way to make it palatable is fry it or saturate it in sauce.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombet

try this, have never had a bad one

Oh you mean aubergines?
Yeah they're delicious!

My favorite tho has to be Dahi Baingan (brinjal with curd sauce)

How can one thing be diverse?

Great comment. You're so witty and clever. Thank you.

bwehhhhhhhhhh i dont like it. i respect others who can stomach this mushy stringy omelette but i cannot

Equal amount diced tomato and eggplant, heat up pan with oil, add a couple dried chili pepper and garlic cloves until fragrant, add in tomato until mushy, add eggplant, cook until eggplant becomes soft and absorbs tomato sauce, add salt and serve.

I like making ratatouille and sopping it up with bread.

Dominican stew style like pic related.

>slice eggplants, 4-5mm thickness
>grill those bitches
>chop finely garlic and hot peppers
>put that shit on the eggplant slices, add abundant raw oil and a little salt

Voilà

Best if left in the fridge for 4-5 hours stacked on top of each other, or eaten warm right off the grill.

moussaka's pretty good

Chargrilled aubergine (britbong), courgette, bell pepper.
stacked and topped with goat's cheese, drizzled with basil/lemon thyme oil.
pop in the oven at about 180c for ten minutes.

Tempura eggplant is fucking delicious.

to be fair tempura (insert vegetable here) is fucking delicious

melitzano is amazing, i would recommend for anyone.
moussaka has eggplant as well, but i don't think i've ever had good moussaka.
does baba ganoush have eggplant?

*melitzanosalata
my bad
>implying melitzanosalata doesn't kick baba ganoushes ass hands down

I want to make deep fried eggplant

Any tips ?

Take egg plant and deep fry it.

Thanks for nothing
I should maybe have been more specific
Do you have any advice about marinating it or not ? Which spices ? What kind of breading to use ? Just flour ?

Yes.

salt it beforehand to make it less bitter and release a little bit of water
use panko

>Do you have any advice about marinating it or not ?
Why would you want to marinade it?

>Which spices ? What kind of breading to use ? Just flour ?
Personal preference. If you like it simple, use flour. If you like batter then use batter. If you like breading then use breading. If you like a mixture of crushed pretzels and doritos then use a mixture of crushed pretzels and doritos.

how about panko/breadcrumbs+flour ?
not sure about the spices but i would at least mix pepper,salt and maybe something like parsley with the flour

Thanks for that guys
Gotta get me some panko then
>mixture or crushed pretzels and doritos
I am hesitating

this shouldn't be forgotten. kind of the same thing when making tzatziki, always get the excess water out of cucumber too
np, i personally wouldn't go all crazy with the pretzel&doritos but it might be worth a short after you've tried variations of the more normal stuff

>I am hesitating
>np, i personally wouldn't go all crazy with the pretzel&doritos but it might be worth a short after you've tried variations of the more normal stuff

I was the guy that posted that. It wasn't meant to be 100% serious, but rather an example that user could use whatever batter or coating that he wants to.

Personally I'm a fan of using minimal seasoning in the coating of deep fried foods. I find that it doesn't add all that much flavor to the food itself but it sure as heck adds a lot of flavor to your oil, which makes it more difficult to re-use it for other things. I'd keep the breading lightly flavored (if at all). If you want to add seasonings then I'd do so after frying. Either toss the fried food with a spice blend or make a sauce or dip on the side.

this guy is right about panko+flour, it would probably be better than just panko. or do 1 coat of flour, then the final coat in panko. whatever floats your boat.
as far as spices go eggplant goes with most spices, just use what you like, but as for my preference i'd keep it pretty simple with just salt/pepper/a fresh herb of some sort/cayenne

I've tried to fry food in a mix of flour and panko before. It doesn't work well. You end up with the food being coated mostly in flour, with a few little bits of panko here and there. The flour prevents adherence of the panko.

I'd just do standard breading:
flour first, shake off excess. Dip in egg wash, then panko only for the outside layer.

If you want to add seasoning then add that to the flour, not the panko.

yeah ok, that's true.
i normally just add the pepper&salt in the breading, partly because it doesn't matter imo if the oil gets those flavours, i use them in essentially everything i make anyways.
parsley has a quite mild taste so that's somewhat the same as the above.
breadcrumbs are a really nice way to bread things too, especially i'f you've had some tasty bread. good way to use the dried up leftovers

Disgusting shit

It's super simple, but I'm a sucker for zacuscă ţărănească. Goes great with eggs and toast in the morning

Tried some caponata [spoiler]and mezcal[/spoiler] in my bolognese once & it didn't suck, so there's that too.