Why don't Americans and Canadians drink wine?

Why don't Americans and Canadians drink wine?

Why are you so unrefined?

Note they are the only two First World, European-majority nations with such low consumption.

Because we're not pretentious faggots

Not even experts can tell how much a wine costs, and yet you homos can't stop jerking each other off about how you can taste stuff that isn't even there, like flowers and strawberries and shit

Wine is a fucking joke and everyone who drinks it should be rounded up and shot

>Not even experts can tell how much a wine costs
Nice buzzfeed meme, retard.

>you homos can't stop jerking each other off about how you can taste stuff that isn't even there, like flowers and strawberries and shit
It's based on the chemical composition which can give hints off those flavors fucktard.

Leaf here, I drink wine.

Most stores keep beer and a certain amount of liquor refrigerated. Wine is usually just left out in the open.

I like my alcohol chilled, and I like to be drunk enough by the time I get home from buying alcohol that I don't really remember the drive. Buying wine would be worthless, since it would be warm out the door.

because it isn't that good. Its a mid-low tier alcoholic drink priced as a top tier one. I mean wine tastes fine but there are so many better options at better prices available at any grocery store or restaurant

Because the beer in Europe is terrible

Would you drink cold wine?

Which supermarkets have the best wine?

super markets are pretty regional, and many chains are franchise based so they can vary considerably from site to site

You'd think the beer in the US is better

Probably ones that service primarily elderly people such as those based in coastal florida

noone in wine-drinking countries actually drinks wine to appear cultured, you mongoloid
it's literally the same as cracking a cold one with the boys, but instead of a cold one it's a wine
and some wines being great for the price / overpriced as fuck does not mean there is no complexity to wine

Wine should never be drank at below 5° C temperatures you pleb

I had dinner with an american lady who put ice in red wine.

alcohol has a tax of around 100% in canada, it's expensive to try enough wines to find the kind you like

there wasn't much domestic production for a long time, beer choices are regional

I am of France and I think American make much better wine.

Well, he said refrigerated and 5 C is refrigerator temperature.

Lots of people put ice in their wine. The only people who don't like that are the pretentious faggots who think they can identify the year of a wine by taste.

No I would prefer to drink it warmer than say beer or a lemonade but I prefer it to be colder than the outside temperature, which right now is about 30C. In the shitty places I usually buy alcohol in the indoor temp is probably around 20c during the day this time a year.

Pretty warm for a beverage that isn't meant to be drank "warm" like most people drink coffee or tea or whatever.

Wine is portrayed as the drink of the upper class or women. So if you wanna be a rough-around-the-edges working man you drink beer or liquor. I don't like drinking but I'd imagine some of it's true.

Yeah but 5° C is the absolute minimum
Wine should be slightly cool, not chilled nor refrigerated.

>if you wanna be a rough-around-the-edges working man you drink beer or liquor
Alternatively you drink those things because you're not fond of the incredibly high levels of sweetness and sugar that wine has.

Because wine is for dick sucking faggots. I personally sit in my car in the parking lot of a local supermarket just to shoot those disgusting wine drinking faggots in the back of the head when i spot one with a wine bottle leaving the supermarket.

Maybe you should try wines that aren't sweet you moron.

All wines are sugary and sweet compared to almost any beer or liquor.

no, you're just an idiot

not the guy you're arguing with btw

How far are you driving to get alcohol that you get plastered on the way back?

If you don't know anything at all about a subject just don't post.

Around 8 miles one direction, probably 25 minutes road time in a round trip. I cross a couple of decent bridges though and always chug on the bridges no matter what im drinking until im off the bridge, I drank 12 beers crossing one of the bridges once.

Funny I can buy booze a lot closer, there is a liquor store like within a minute of leaving my driveway but I travel over the bridges for adventure

What the fuck that is next level. 12 beers crossing a bridge. Are you actually driving here or is this public transport?

Behind the wheel generally, the night I done that though I was in the passenger seat lol.

First, it's a supply issue. Grape vineyards had been established in Europe since, when, ancient Greece, Rome? It was far easier, and more profitable, to grow cereal crops and convert them into beer and ligour in eastern north America than it was to start vineyards and produce wine. This didn't change during the western migration, and it still holds true today.

Second, it's a tax issue. The more alcohol by volume a product has, the more it's taxed, so it's cheaper to buy beer, and if you want something with more alcohol, you might as well just buy liquor.

The U.S. was basically founded on corn whiskey, cider, and beer, and while prohibition pretty much destroyed the cider industry, the abundance of low cost grains has always made it more economical to produce beer and whiskey.

lol having a glass of red with your colleagues after work is probably the least pretentious thing you can drink you daft cunt. beer drinkers are the pretentious ones these days with their IPAs, stouts, ales and shit. so much elitism. in fact you're even showing off that elitism right now funnily enough.

also for context I live around some somewhat sizeable bridges on a semi major waterway.

forgot the microbrews

Because if you buy a $5 bottle of wine in North America you'll regret it immediately. Not so in yurop.

You're a faggot because I did exactly that in italy tonight and this wine is piss poor.

You sure showed him, drinking that shitty wine.

Did a tour in Italy that lasted 3 years, and drank a lot of their wine.

Most of the house wines were cheaper than water, and most were pretty damn good. The only ones that were bad had obviously not been aged long enough, or whatever, because they'd have just the faintest hint of a vinegary / sour taste to them.

I still buy Italian wines here in the states, as they're cheaper than U.S. wines, and they're not overpowered with "oak" the way a lot of U.S. wines seem to be.

Wine sells itself as an elitist beverage for elderly women. Its not men who proscribe it such attributes, thats how they choose to be seen as an industry. Why would any man choose to drink such a mediocre yet overpriced beverage that's own marketers have such disdain for men and people who aren't quite rich?

>lol having a glass of red with your colleagues after work is probably the least pretentious thing you can drink
wait, what?

It's funny, I can buy European wines that spend a lot of time in oak and it's usually very enjoyable

And yet when I smell that "American wine" artificial vanilla extract smell I instantly know the purchase was a mistake. It hits you as soon as you pop the cork and you have to let the wine air out for at least a day in order to take a sip without gagging

Steel or concrete vatted wines are another story but American wine makers shouldn't be allowed near wood, they don't know how to use it

I don't know if they're just dumping buckets of oak dust in there, or if it's a different kind of oak, or what, but it's really fucking nasty

>Most of the house wines were cheaper than water
Restaurants in Italy charge for water?

>Restaurants in Italy charge for water?

They didn't offer tap water, so if you wanted water, you had to buy bottled water, which was a little more than a buck a liter at the time, while a liter of house wine was just a little bit cheaper.

ha, what a fucking joke to require people to pay if they want water

I literally did.

If you asked, you'd probably get it but they don't write a price for it because they want you to buy something.

Wine is firstly thought of as pretentious, drunk by stereotypical snooty Frenchmen or at least Californians. It's basically because you think someone who doesn't drink it is unrefined that Americans don't drink it.

Secondly is its association as an effeminate drink. It's the alcoholic drink of choice of basic bitches in their 20s chugging cheap bottles or wine-in-a-box, or boozy, pill popping WASP housewives kicking a few back while the kids are in school, and their natural evolution, sad divorcees in their 40s.

In short, it's a longstanding thought that if you're a man, you better be drinking beer or hard liquor.

You're probably right, but after seeing how cheap the house wine was, I don't think I ever bothered to ask.

>Wine is firstly thought of as pretentious, drunk by stereotypical snooty Frenchmen or at least Californians. It's basically because you think someone who doesn't drink it is unrefined that Americans don't drink it.
this

basically: fuck you if you think you're better than me, and fuck whatever you consume as a status symbol

This is funny coming from the country that lives to shit on anyone lower than them.

>the country that lives to shit on anyone lower than them.
This describes literally everyone

>somehow drinking fermented grapes is more refined than drinking fermented grains

Don't forget to tip your fedora at least 20% :^)

I'm an Ameriburger and my reasoning is that liquor is better for getting drunk and beer is better for use as a beverage. Wine sits between the two and doesn't really serve much purpose in my opinion; it's primary role seems to be for self-aggrandizing snobs to pretend they have class and women who can't handle an honest shot of liquor or even a mixed drink.

there are tons of naive americans who think "wow le yurop so sophisticated and cultured, so exotic", even (especially?) flyovers whose only knowledge of italy is from the movies or maybe a once-in-a-lifetime guided tour of rome if they're older

>having a glass of red with your colleagues after work is probably the least pretentious thing you can drink

Ever consider that cultural signifiers vary by region? That poster is a faggot, but the post is a pretty accurate picture of American views of wine. Wine is associated with wealth and high society, probably dating back into the colonial period.

We have cheap wine of course, but it's kind of considered feminine to prefer it to cheap beer. Also wine is regulated differently from beer in many states, ever since prohibition was repealed.

Spics and niggers drag down all our statistics.

Alcohol is degenerate anyways.

Ausfag here. We drink wine because it's the cheapest alcohol. It's about $9 for 4L (a gallon).

Traveled to Canada once and their wine's expensive for pretty much no reason. The same box wine is $40 something.

Most of America is unrefined - just look at our president. Most of the rest of us do drink wine, but we also have the best beer in the world, so that's what most people here drink.

Wine is too expensive in all the lighter shaded regions. In most of mainland Europe and Argentina you can get a decent wine for $5. Even lesser if you shop around. A drinkable wine in the rest of the world starts at $10. And the good stuff is hard to find sub $15. It just doesn't make sense to drink wine unless you specifically want to get into it.

>Because we're not pretentious faggots

What an incredibly pretentious and faggy thing to say.

Canada is retards about alcohol. You can only buy it from very specific stores, which oddly enough are not actually run by the government, but it's apparently stupid hard to get a license.

In Toronto there's all these wine stores that only have a license to sell wine that is at least 51% from Ontario. Because Ontario is such a great region for wine

Anyone who wouldn't take good or average beer over equivalent tier wine is pretty strange. Cheap wine might be slightly better than cheap beer though

What did she xhe mean by this?

Spotted the pretentious faggot. Go make some "papeeay mashay"

Wine is not good. It's only a thing for historical reasons and alcoholism.

>Three years of eating an Olive Garden dish
That's a shitload of free bread sticks.

>It's based on the chemical composition which can give hints off those flavors fucktard.

well real experts should be able to tell you about those chemical composition instead of making shit up

>a tour in Italy that lasted 3 years
who the fuck are you that you can afford a 3-year vacation financially and socially

>move to place
>be poor in said place

Not too difficult

>European-majority
America is 56% non-white.

Trips of truth.

American military base in Italy maybe? I'm not him, I have no idea, but that what most people mean when they say "three year tour".

This.

1/508th in Vicenza.

Because American and Canadian wines are shit

>go into this thread thinking wine drinkers were alright and not pretentious
>read this post
>immediately change my mind

You're a fucking fag dude. This place is literally just reddit now.

And yet you're still here

My tax dollars pay for this shit...

The US military is the biggest group of welfare queens in the world. Thanks for you "service", you useless faggots.

I killed brown people in A-stan and Iraq, so your tax dollars weren't totally wasted. At least those dead fucks won't be moving here.

pretty sure the endless wars are whats making so many of them want to move

And you think whites are the ones responsible?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I was wondering why Australia was drinking so much wine but then I remembered

I'm not pretentious you fag I buy wine from Walmart and drink it from the bottle in a canoe

Merlot my favorite

who /goon/ here lads haha

Americans not wine drinkers. Found the east coaster.

Shit is common as fuck in Cali and wherever spoiled rich whites and gays go, there's a trail of wine behind them. And just american men.

I drink it because I don't like hard liquor and beer tastes bad

from the east coast, it's common here too. No winos or anything, but a glass of wine for dinner everyday is the norm. OP is a flyover if he is american at all.

It''s not actually that though. Australia has a lot of wineries and a lot of good land for vineyards

Pretty sure the stats are more reliable than whatever personal experience you have.

what do you mean by "the stats"? you mean some smudges of colors in a png?

population of NYC: 8.4 million
population of US: 320 million

for all you know 100% of new yorkers drink wine every evening and "the stats" on the US as a whole would still look the same

speaking as a new yorker, I can tell you a lot of people I know drink wine regularly, but not everyone. some people don't drink. some prefer beer. some don't drink with food, they just binge drink at bars. there are different kinds of people here.

I think in the flyover parts of america, this sort of diversity of taste is hard to understand, and possibly you may be skeptical because midwest culture idealizes consistency of behavior, values, etc.

I'm guessing the normalcy of drinking goon as opposed to cheap beer is a fuckhuge factor in the wine consumption rate.

>drinking rotten grapes

>Live in an apartment building with a wine shop built into the ground floor.
>Become friends with the owner
>He usually gives me a bottle when he gets new stock and wants someone to try it
Feels pretty nice brehs, unfortunately have to move in a bit because gf and I are getting married and are planning on having kids.

Mead is honestly what I wish what wine was. I dislike drier wines since the tannic quality is a bit off putting. More of a liquor nerd than a wine anything, particularly on herbacious stuff such as amaros and (botanical) gin.

Wine 'culture' is kinda shitty and mostly a ruse as far as spotting vintages and the like. Tasting notes shouldn't be so heavy on the terrior, instead making it accessible to the general populace by providing some common frame of reference.

yikes

Eurofaggot liberal cuck detected

>euro
>liberal
Hi Carl!

I hope you drive off a bridge and kill yourself before you hurt anyone, I sincerely mean this