First knife

Does this look like a good first knife for my future endeavors in the kitchen?

If not, can you guys give me some good recommendations? I really like how the wood handle curves down so that your index is comfortable and firm

Other urls found in this thread:

japanesechefsknife.com/collections/fujiwara-kanefusa-fkm-series/products/fujiwara-kanefusa-fkm-series-gyuto-japanesechefsknife-com
ebay.com/p/DMT-D8e-Diamond-Sharp-Whetstone-8-X-3in-Extra-Fine/710153742
amazon.com/Green-Chromium-Micron-Strop-Powder/dp/B007DXUMUA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For those curious, it's a Svord Drop Point Hunter. Not exactly a "kitchen knife" by definition, but I don't see how it would perform differently and I really like how it looks. I can get it for around ~$50

Sure, if your "kitchen" is a campsite and your "cooking" involves cleaning game animals before suspending them over a large fire, that would be a good choice

well no, it looks about the size of a paring knife. which is incredibly not convenient for a lot of jobs. just spend 100 on a wusthoff or something.

just go down to walmart and buy whatever looks good, faggot

Well then can you point me to the kitchen department where the suitable kitchen knives would be?

You live a simple life, some don't live as simple as you

japanesechefsknife.com/collections/fujiwara-kanefusa-fkm-series/products/fujiwara-kanefusa-fkm-series-gyuto-japanesechefsknife-com

ebay.com/p/DMT-D8e-Diamond-Sharp-Whetstone-8-X-3in-Extra-Fine/710153742

Old leather belt

amazon.com/Green-Chromium-Micron-Strop-Powder/dp/B007DXUMUA

Done

I really appreciate the spoonfeeding user. Those knives look good, but I wish there was a bit more space between the handle and the blade. I saw a knife on here yesterday, somebody's "first knife" they had to dispose of, and their knife had a perfect gap between the blade and the handle for the finger to rest if one were to put their finger there. Do you know of any that are like this?

some people are pretentious faggots who think buying a "artisanal" knife made by some japanese blacksmith who makes katanas makes them a master chef

Wusthof 6" chef's and 3.5" paring knife. If you like the hunting knife, buy it and use it. If you want to get things done, then... buy the Wusthof set or something similar.

But a Dexter (cheap industrial knives) bread knife and 6" flexible boning knife and maybe a vegetable cleaver/chopper and you should be all set.

I can't post the Amazon URL

I don't understand what you're referring to, was it the notch where the tang enters the handle? this is known as "machi" and serves no functional purpose, it's an aesthetics question. some folks like hocho with machi, and some don't.

don't worry too much about the handle, if you are using a proper grip it's not a major element of the user experience

santoku or kys

Okay well I think you're being dramatic and acting like a girl

Wouldn't you say there is a zone between Walmart garbage and custom $400+ Japanese knives? Fucking baby.

It was exactly that, thanks man. I guess I like a knife with a longer machi? Both aesthetically and physically. I have very big hands, which is why I had my initial knife in mind due to the big, thick wooden handle. I know you say it serves no purpose, but I really need a knife that feels comfortable in these bear hands

I think you should probably look more carefully at posted measurements. The knife you posted has a 4.7 inch blade, meaning the handle is probably about the same dimensions as any other kitchen knife handle. The reason it looks "big" and "thick" is that the blade is tiny.

its a knife you fucking goon, what are you going to do with it that your grandma does with her perfectly adequate $5 walmart knife?

Well I work at a shop that sells knives along with hatchets so I'm able to look and handle some in person, and the one I posted is one of the knives that we have in my shop. I can guarantee that the wooden handle is bigger than most kitchen knife handles, at least by a little. I'm just glad to gain some insight as to what I should be looking for

There just isn't any convincing people like you, you're set in your beliefs and I'm not gonna bother

not that guy but my grandma's cooking, as good as it is, doesn't involve fine cuts of anything. I've never seen her cut an onion into pieces smaller than an inch and she's bearing down with the force of a jackhammer just to get the knife to plough through any raw vegetables

I made a roast at her place once and it was literally mangled by her awful knives. couple of hundred bucks worth of meat turned into dog food. the next year I brought my own

also, "you need to use bad tools or you don't love your grandma" is a hilariously shitty argument, easily one of the worst I've seen in Veeky Forums knife threads, and Veeky Forums knife threads are always shit

My granny used an old carbon steel french style knife that was probably a Sabatier or Wustoff and a meat cleaver. I mainly use a different knife with a thinner and longer blade because it makes doing finer vegetable work much easier and more enjoyable. But I like knives a lot. What I recommend for an absolute novice is a Victorinox-style knife that you could get online or at a restaurant supply for like 20-30 bucks, or if they want something a little nicer get a Tojiro or Fujiwara for like 60-70 bucks. What I wouldn't recommend is some Farberware or Ginsu shit from Walmart that uses absolute shit-tier steel that may or may not have serrations and a handle shape that is boxy and awful.

it doesn't matter. a kitchen knife isn't a hunting knife, you shouldn't be fixated on how well it's going to fit your palm in an overhand grip

this is the same fallacy that leads knife makers to push "ergonomic" blades with knuckle grooves

your index finger and thumb should be on the blade, if the length of the handle is an issue you're doing something wrong

>the guy telling you you only need a $5 knife is the same guy who uses a plastic blue handle kitchen knife that isn't full tang
>probably couldn't even tell you where he got it
>somehow we are in the wrong
Pretty much a given

>no argument
>UGH WOW YOU JUST CANT BE REASONED WITH YOU LUNATIC, THIS CONVERSATION IS *OVER*

bad post

>that isn't full tang
I have several magnolia handled knives that aren't full tang, ranging from $30 to $400

I also have a number of full tang, riveted knives just like the macy's kitchenware clerk says I should have

full tang is not actually very important

Some argument you have yourself there, surely I can't recover

>$400 for a knife that isn't full tang
I'm sorry what? In what world?

the world in which people do not use kitchen knives to engage in hand to hand combat with still living dangerous game.

are we repeatedly driving our knives into the ribcages of grizzly bears and then forcefully pulling them out when they got wedged between the vertebrae? is that why you're afraid of the handle design not being able to support the violent forces imposed on the tang?

in your mind, what purpose does the full tang serve?

>i like it because one of the fingers i barely use will be comfortable

Yeah, sure OP, it's not like cutting with a 3" blade wont be a comfort issue. Just buy a real chef's knife, dum dum. Only a retard would buy that knife for kitchen use.

>dum dum
you're a girl

go back to tumblr

Lurk more, dum dum.

>hugeass fucking knife for butchering large game

Wrong. I literally used this knife to butcher my deer last year. The only other tool was an axe to bust the pelvis. I could easily do it with one half the size.

I recommend a 8-10" euro chef's knife such a Wusthof, Henckels or Sabatier with a paring knife and honing steel.

They'll last a lifetime.

I got a Global G2 around a decade ago when I first lived on my own and started cooking. A few months ago I started working in the first kitchen where I felt comfortable bringing in my own knives, and every time my chef randomly picks up my knife to cut something comments about how much he likes it. A lot of people seem to dislike Global because of how light and thin they are, but I have big hands and absolutely love the precision of it. I'd kill myself if I had to trade it in for something head over dick retarded like the knife in the OP.

When I have the money I'd really like to pick up an SBK-95.

Global knives are awesome but tend to break where the blade is welded to the handle if you drop them etc.

It only happened to two of the 10" chef knives I had back in the day though. May have been a bad batch.

They do have a lifetime warranty that they actually will honor though.

>tend to break where the blade is welded to the handle

Like, the entire blade breaks off from the handle? I've only dropped mine a couple of times with minimal damage. Once I blunted the tip, but was able to sharpen it back to a decent point pretty easily.

>the world in which people do not use kitchen knives to engage in hand to hand combat with still living dangerous game

This happens all the time, wolves and shit keep breaking into my apartment

the amount of simpletons on this board is sickening

faggot