Coq au vin?

Coq au vin?

Cakka poop more like it

cuck au tist is a fancy name for an average dish

this can be confirmed by the asshole who make this thread using a trip

looks like someone took a crap on mashed potatoes

ofc some "foodie" asshole from wicker park would probably tell you its le arte quisine

Jesus, watch the salt, guys.

Thats the color its supposed to be?

Its chicken thighs braised in red win, famalams.

>red win
more like red fail, lol

wine* but win also works

>none of you have had coq au vin

I see the Vin, but where's the Coq? Please don't say you used boneless, skinless chicken and overcooked the fuck out of it and it disintegrated into a stringy mess.

Do you not see the skin on there? I broke down two whole birds, the breasts i froze for another use but I used to carcasses plus a couple others I had saved to make the chicken stock from the french laundry cook book. (shouldve made a dark stock for this but whatever) Marinated the thighs/hindquarters in red wine/thyme/a carrot/onion/garlic/peppercorns/bay leaf/ Strained and discarded the veggies and shit and used the wine as my braising liquid.

Bought whole slab bacon and cut them into actual baton lardons. Slow rendered the fat out of those, then got some color on the chicken skin with that bacon fat then added some brandy to deglaze and then lit that bitch to flambe. Added pear onions and button mushrooms. Microplaned like 4 cloves of garlic into it, like a quarter cup of flour and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste.

Braised it at a gentle gentle simmer for like probably an hour and half. Meat was super moist and tender as it should be.

oh in addition to the wine i added that chicken stock, just enough to cover.

Heres two other platings that I did that I was just using to practice with.

Looks good. What kind of wine did you use?

This looks like greasy garbage and you've ruined one of my favorite dishes you colossal faggot
Please continue using a trip so I never have to see anything else you "contribute" to this board

You know what I've started doing with mine, OP? Right at the end, right before serving, I've been sticking the chicken under the broiler for a couple minutes to make the skin crispy. It's fucking badass.

It does look like he didn't skim enough fat out, or left too much in the pan after browning the chicken not accounting for the chicken fat that renders out during the braise. I've made that mistake before, but it was still good.

I love this website

Fuck u pretendtous fuk

OK, I take it back, that looks really good. Your description of the process sounded damn good too.

Yeah I really didn't commit to skimming as much as I should have. I did take a ton of it off but I got lazy towards the end because I was hungry and it was just for my family.

Calera Pinot noir from 2007

You can emulsify some of the fat with a starch, but if you go too far it's a gravy. It's a fine line. You definitely want some of that fat in there, but not so much that a spoonful looks like redeye gravy. I like to pour off some of the rendered pork fat after browning the chicken, scraping up all that good shit and making a medium-ish roux, before adding stock and wine. Maybe like 2 tablespoons of flour. Any fats that separate out after that during the simmer can just go. I like to reduce the liquid a little whilst carefully taking the chicken out and re-crisping the skin under the broiler.

I wonder. What if you took the excess chicken and pork fat and threw some of that shit into the mashed potatoes? That could be good.

Sounds good but why discard all the marinated veg/seasonings? Seems really wasteful.

The recipe I'm basing this of for of didn't call for carrots or full sized onion and I didn't want the carrot being a major part of the braise or a major flavor in the end gravy anyway. In the marinade though their sugars are a welcome to developing some additional notes in the chicken separate from the sauce.

Makes sense, although if it was just one carrot I would've grated it and have it basically melt into the sauce. I do that with a few bean dishes and you don't necessarily taste the carrot much but can pick up a little of the sweetness. Maybe you could try that next time.

>salt
Fuck off back to normieville with your stale memewords.

Looks great OP

I like that you tried to cut the knuckle off the chicken leg in the first photo. Classy

i wont bother posting mine because it wasn't plated. it was just chicken pieces with wine sauce on a plate. i think yours looks really nice, and i bet it tasted nice also. good job.

Nah man, post that shit. I'm just a junior chef practicing plating so that's why I went all fancy-like.