Whats the secret to a good burger?

Whats the secret to a good burger?
I grilled some earlier and they came out thick and juicy, but remarkably without taste. I used a heavy amount of black pepper, salt, and Mrs Dash (I didnt have any other seasonings on hand, please forgive me), but the meat itself still didnt...taste great. Very bland.

Is there a preferred seasoning mix you use, or something you mix into the beef itself?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=afWK65oOdIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cum on the patties

s+p, paprika, red pepper flakes, and a bit of cumin for me. add garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley flakes if you want, but I don't.

I use a load of minced garlic, a pinch of sea salt, and lots of crushed black pepper, and a dollop of evoo...

Smashed burgers are always better.

I love making smashed burgers. I'm getting better, but I find my burgers overall lacking in flavor and texture compared to say, culvers or freddies.

I've never tried grilling my own burgers but every burger I've ever had that was grilled was ass, but every backyard dad griller sucks ass. My dad still can't grill good burgers after doing it for 20+ years.

Do this.
Pan medium heat
Add olive oil and butter
Do not be fag and use fake ass butter
add spices you like (I like parsley, rosemary, and thyme)
Cook burger anywhere from Medium rare to Medium well.
Cooking most meats in oil and butter will make it great. But then again it also depends on your meat itself.

Don't grill them, use a cast iron skillet. I've never had a grilled burger that came close to the flavor you get from a skillet. Also be sure to brush one raw side with mustard before flipping.

Based.

That could be it, these were grilled and I find whenever I pan-fry beef at home its always better than when I cook on the grill at a friends.

If it's being grilled, it's important to either work more fat into the meat or use a less lean cut of beef.

Just do what every red blooded american does and load it up with kraft singles and ketchup and mustard.

stop calling frying pans "skillets"

Honestly, what the fuck is the point of this post?

Inb4 some meta bs

The point is go back to plebbit, you fucking faggot

A proper dark sear, and ground beef made from more flavorful cuts. Ground chuck or short rib will have more flavor than ground sirloin.

I have recently started really enjoying burgers and I started making my own. The first few were less then good however once I got down the actual cooking part I started playing around with different flavors I was thinking about buying some msg and using that along with black pepper, salt and then frying onions in the same pan as the burger. Thoughts? Suggestions or your favorite burger seasonings?

>Mrs Dash
I like a dash of Dash on my burgers.

MSG turns even the crappiest dish into pure ecstasy

There it is. Don't you get tires of that response? It's pathetic

That was my thinking behind it. I have a feeling it will add just that extra little bit to really make the burger stand out

Adopt to board culture or fuck off, this isn't happy-fun-times-serious-response-upvote-town

Remember brown is flavor...so get some grill marks. I facilitate that with a brush of olive oil to really get that char on there.

I dont really do much to my burgers because my toppings are all flavor, but if you're a purist with no toppings, to up the meat oompfh, consider fermented things like worchestershire splash on there beforehand like a marinade. If I'm lighting the grill, you can be assured that I am going to put some balsamic marinated mushrooms or slabs of sliced onion right on there at the same time as my meat main. Putting a charred red bell pepper, charred purple onion, charred portobello on top of a funky cheese slice like gouda or swiss will light up that flavor! Consider a little light layer of blue (marbleu in the deli is easy), and lots of cracked pepper and grilling those buns with a little garlic butter. Don't be afraid to toss your mesclun with a vinaigrette before putting on there.

I mix in salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and brown sugar into the mince when i make them usually. A bit of mustard brushed onto them while grilling can be nice as well.

Find out where your local middle school got their burgers, the perfect burgers with the perfect burger flavor

good beef, grind with frozen butter, add msg

these weren't the best but they had a certain jay nay say kwaa that I've never experienced anywhere else

don't listen to these cucks.
I'm a Burger master and my burgers always come out juicy and fucking amazing.
Rule 1
>Use a grill
Rule 2
>20 fat 80 lean beef, Salt and pepper is all you need
Rule 3
>Don't be scared to season well, most the salt and pepper will fall into the grill
Rule 4
>Don't make the patties too big. You want a good Carl's Jr sized patty
Pic related
Rule 5
>Make sure the grill is as hot as it can be. This will insure great grill marks and help you make sure it's cooked well
Rule 6
>This is my more or less perfect time for grilling burgers. 4 minutes (closed lid) on first seasoned side then before flipping you season the next side and then 3 & 1/2 mins(closed lid) then add a slice of cheese and 15 seconds(closed lid) to melt it. Wah lah perfect burgers every time. Also don't forget to toast your bun

Sorry forgot pic

>vegetables underneath patty
You want the patty on the bottom bun so that you taste it first, otherwise you're mainly going to taste onion and tomato. You can spread a bit of your preferred condiment on the bottom bun first but the first thing to go on should be the patty.

Also make sure to do this to your Patty to keep them from turning into hockey pukes and also drizzle a little olive oil on top up them to help the salt and pepper absorb

Retard read my post. I told OP to make the party that size. I can give a fuck about how Carl's jr makes their burger

It still could mislead someone into making a less than optimal burger if they think that's how they should put it together after seeing that pic, I was merely preventing that from happening. Do not be angry with me please.

The secret is to grind your own meat, and obviously use good quality.

Get ground beef and patty it up until it looks like a frozen burger would, tight and compact so it all cooks evenly
Salt and pepper both sides
Smash it with either a weight or your spatula
That's it really

>but the meat itself still didnt...taste great. Very bland
use better meat

>jay nay say kwaa

this. It's all about the cut of meat. Best cuts for burgers, IMHO:

1) Short rib. Super flavorful beefy taste.
2) Brisket. Also very flavorful, perhaps a bit sweet tasting for lack of a better term?
3) Chuck. The classic.
4) Sirloin.
9000) "ground beef" from the supermarket.

Your fat content should be around 20% or so. Too lean and the burger will tend to fall apart and have a mealy texture. Too fatty and the patty shrinks too much when you cook it.

Get good meat, grind it fresh, form the patties with a minimal amount of fucking around. Don't over-work or over-compress the meat; that harms the texture of the burger.

IMHO if you have good meat then medium rare or medium is the ideal level of doneness. There should be contrast between the seared, almost crusty, exterior and the tender interior. Rare isn't very good--the texture is too pasty. Any more than medium and you're missing out on flavor and juiciness (though that may be a necessary evil if you have questionable meat).

>I like to burn my oils the post

Normal olive oil is just fine for cooking with. It has a high smoke point.

He didn't say anything about EVOO.

adding half butter would lower the smoke point enormously

It would, but it still works great.

If I am forced to pan-cook my burgers I brush them with melted butter and drop them on the hot pan. The butter makes a wonderful crust on the patty. I learned the trick from some French guy on that No Reservations episode that focused on technique. I tried it, and it's fuckign god-tier. I'll see if I can find the clip and if so I will post it.

Here we go. God tier.

youtube.com/watch?v=afWK65oOdIw

>no specification of the type of beef or quality, only "80/20"
guarantee you use shit tier pre ground chuck
>cooked well
>caring about grill marks on a burger
>burger master

this is literally no different than the way majority of average home cooks make burgers.

>bottom bun on the bottom when you eat it
Ishiggy

This, but it's fucking hard to keep my pan hot enough.

Am I the only person who works the salt and pepper into the meat? Tastes great that way, just a bit of salt and a lot of pepper, maybe some cayenne or paprika to add some heat. Also, sauce matters on your burger. A spicy garlic mayo can work wonders.

Not memeing here,
>a little bit of olive oil while still raw
>salt, pepper, and garlic flakes
>THIS FUCKING SHIT, IT MAKES WORLDS OF SIFFERENCE, THE BEST STEAK SEASON FOR BUGERS.
>Both sides

>Cooking time
>Put burger, depending on how thick and how done you want it, leave it alone for 3 to 5 minutes
>Flip it
>Put some melted butter, add a lil bit of salt and pepper
>Another 3 to 5 minutes
>Flip it, put butter and add cheese
>Let the cheese melt good
>There.

Also don't forget the pickles, they add flavor

Pic related, tasty as fuck, also
>spinach >>>>> Lettuce

>Caramelized onions >>>>>>>> raw

Apparently sucking at burgers runs in the family.