Just got my first cheapo immersion circulator and tried out a couple eggs Did 150C for an hour

Just got my first cheapo immersion circulator and tried out a couple eggs Did 150C for an hour.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GpvbNG1Dzhk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The IC is giant and not user friendly, but it does what it's supposed to once you figure it out. Tried the first egg right out of the water bath, and it was okay, but would have been better on top of hot soup or rice.

Is that a light saber in the backgroud? Why is the hilt "too hot to handle"?

Cooked some rice and fried up some Spam to eat with the second egg that had been chilling in its shell for a couple hours.

Turned off the heat and cracked the second SV egg into the pan to warm it back up.

The black part is the hilt. If I was a jedi and was given this I'd probably turn to the dark side.

Cooked the rice with some Golden Mountain and Korean chili pepper; topped the egg with furikake.

Much better texture on the egg reheated over hot rice. You know everything is heated to a safe temp, but both the yolk AND white evenly flows like lava.

>mix the egg into the hot rice and eat with a little spam
>nom nom

What to try next with the immersion circulator?

Round two dinner, no immersion egg edition, just in time for GoT.

that looks nasty af

maybe its just cuz im japanese but it looks alright to me.

>immersion circulator
>150C for an hour

Did you deep fry those eggs with your immersion circulator?

Not likely. It's probably because everyone is very opinionated about how they like their eggs done.
youtube.com/watch?v=GpvbNG1Dzhk

I don't know what an immersion circulator is, how does it benefit your cooking?

>150C for an hour
Have you double checked that temp? Might be off by a few degrees.

See video here:

Meant "F"... was looking at a chart that had both and somehow messed it up (because vodka).

Looks really good user. Is it that much better than just topping your rice with a poached or fried egg though?

Also do you like the white to be runny too? Or just hot?

No, I meant that it looks to me like a 145F egg than a 150F egg. I didn't notice the "C" typo.
Double check the "cheap immersion circulator" with another thermometer. It may be off a few degrees. It happens.
Or I could be wrong. But my sansaire was giving me similar results at 147 F (64C). And other sources would call your egg 63C (145F).
If you watch the video in you can see how much of a difference it makes. Kind of easier to use C with eggs if you're playing around with different temps.
Also, if you're not worried about pasteurizing the eggs, I've found 20-30 minutes enough time to get the desired texture/cook.
Chefsteps has an egg calculator on their site. It works okay.
If you want to learn about different pasteurization temps and times, buy Douglas Baldwin's book Sous Vide for the Home Cook, or on the cheap just go to his website. All of his calculations are there. He works for Chefsteps now but was a huge influence on eGullet back in the day. He's not a chef but definitely knows his shit about pathogens and food born illness.

Thanks

bump