Culinary School

Is a Pastry Diploma at Le Cordon Bleu worth it? Considering to apply for the programmes but I don't know if the price is worth it since it isn't a degree either or anything. Pic is bonbons I made

Where did you learn how to make that?

youtube and google

To expand on my original question, is a Pastry Diploma at Le Cordon Bleu worth considering if I want to be a chocolatier?

It's going to be really expensive for me to study there with the cost of accommodation and flight tickets. I guess the fact that it isn't a degree isn't important if I'm planning on opening my own shop anyway, right?

>I guess the fact that it isn't a degree isn't important if I'm planning on opening my own shop anyway, right?

Most employers don't give a shit about diplomas but will care about experience instead. Though if you're planning on opening your own place it could be worthwhile to have a diploma if you plan on going to a bank for financing.

Yeah, that makes sense
Thanks. Guess I'll go look for another school

Yes, degrees don't mean shit (ever).
People want experience or a license like RN, CPA, but since your in cooking speaking spanish, and taking some basic accounting courses would help you more than a cooking degree.

Of course it's going to be worth it, the fact of the matter is that while it's not going to matter for every job having a degree is going to make your resume look straight-up better than someone who doesn't have it.

Most of the time places do look for experience, but having that under your belt can do nothing but help your overall career. Now, is it worth it for you personally? I dunno, I have no idea how good you are or how many years you've been baking

Why are you looking for a school at all? Based on OP pic you obviously have the ability to learn on your own. The only thing you should be going to "school" for is the basic certification you need in your country in order to legally serve food to the public.

I don't think I'm good at all and it's only been a few months. I just figured you guys would have some recommendations for a learning institution that will be helpful

Well, that's true. But I need professional guidance on making it taste good and look better. Right now, it's just so-so

Good idea, that way when I open the shop, I don't have to get an accountant. Thanks

>but having that under your belt can do nothing but help your overall career.

Sure, it's better to have it on your resume than not. But, as others have posted, in the cooking profession most people don't give a shit about the degree. Its benefit will be small. On the other hand, the amount of money that it costs is not small. That money could be far better spent elsewhere.

Especially with pastries and confectioneries, while it is totally possible to learn everything you need on the job there's a lot of techniques that you need to learn if you're going to go into this professionally.

While I do generally agree with you about most short-order jobs, a lot of bakeries and other pastry shops are a little more concerned with both experience and technique.

This is generally if you're serious about your profession, not if you're working at a local doughnut shop of course. Most serious restaurants that employ an actual pastry chef pay very well for a reason.

You also get sweet sweet Mexican labor

you got more pics, Op?

here you go

That's real pretty, user.

no, cuckinary school is a meme, i fell for it. Just stage at local restaurants and you will learn more

As an actual pastry chef for a hotel, I can say that pastry school is actually very useful if you actually want to be employed with a god job. Most higher end hotels and restaurants will want to know that you can actually make stuff correctly like implies.

Like you say, it's a little bit of a meme. I'm sure if you apprenticed under a god pastry chef for long enough you could probably skip the school. But for the most part if you want to get a high paying pastry chef job then you're almost certainly going to have to do some schooling for it.

>Is a Pastry Diploma at Le Cordon Bleu worth it?

Are you ready to work 3-5 years before any meaningful promotions with a bunch of retards despite having "muh degree"?

Not worth it. A career in food is shit, even as a chef. It's not worth going to school for because there's no depth to it. Get into something more fulfilling long term.

Chocolatier is a dead career you retard
Climate Change is going to destroy chocolate production across the planet. There will be no chocolate at all in a few decades.
Why do you think studying for fucking making little chocolates look like little mango fruits and tennis balls is a good way to make a living? It isn't. Get a real fucking cooking degree. Personally I think you need a STEM course (Saucier, Tournant, Entree Chef, Meat Chef) rather than wasting your time on a fucking dead industry where the key ingredient will be 10 times as expensive in a few decades.

Also guess what? Even if the fucking chocolate doesn't go extinct, Chocolatier is a retarded career choice with no transferable skills. I started off as a Fish Chef, which doesn't sound great but guess what? I was able to use the experience to open 10 restaurants of my own all of which are now very successful. Learning to debone fish under pressure is a real skill that can be applied in many situations. For example, I often go camping and was once approached by a bear. I managed to make him go away by deboning an entire wild salmon in 10 seconds, and throwing him the corpse. If I hadn't deboned the fish he wouldn't have been able to eat it and would have attacked me. I also command respect. People know that I can take literally any species of fish and instantly recognise the tastes of each piece of its body so they know I never forget. You don't make the mistake of getting into a grudge with a man who can tell you the exact flavour tones and texture of the stomach of the Lower Italian Ganges Basin Blue Backed Tuna without hesitation.

Chocolatier is a fucking joke. Nobody will ever respect you. You will always be 'that guy who makes gay little swan origami out of cocoa butter'. Nobody sees that as a worthwhile skill. Most restaurants have already started firing their chocolatiers. Your entire job can be done by a plastic mould. You are like a prostitute who can be replaced by a fleshlight.

You alright, man?

I didn't know a fish chef could make good pasta

Where did the chocolatier touch you, user?

This desu. If you haven't worked with the dregs of society that are food industry workers I highly recommend you try it out first. It's a social disaster, people don't listen, they're lazy, make irrational decisions, speak Spanish, and do too many drugs. If you're a terrifying psychopath you'll do alright, but instead of people talking back you get people panicking and making mistakes because they're afraid of you. They'll still show up late and quit randomly. It doesn't help that food service is so volatile on top of it, if the economy tanks, people stop going out to eat. It's the sword of damocles, really, except you aren't king, you're working 80 hour weeks trying to wrangle degenerate, drug-addled losers on top of balancing your finances. All for little return, assuming you make it past the first year, which you probably won't.
I know that has nothing to do with culinary school, but if you want to learn, learn from a bonafide chef. Throwing away time and money on schooling for such a pathetic industry is laughable at best. Did I mention alcoholism and the average thought being "how do I get out of this shithole?"

As someone who runs a small confectionary company, I've never ever had to have a degree; much like you, I learned from the net and used my autodidacticism to make me mad dosh. If you want to run a shop, you need to know more about ACCOUNTING, and you can let the product speak for itself.

Nice work, by the way. Wanna move to Texas and work with a Willy Wonka style weirdo?

>His father was a chocolatier and said he would never make it in the industry

>Your entire job can be done by a plastic mould.

i guess the only chocolates you know of are moulded chocolates?

fuck off, plastic is more advanced than that

wasting money on a degree to learn a bunch of shit you already know is pretty fucking stupid but it's double stupid if the goal is to open your own business. loan officer is going to care more about stupid debt than if you have a fancy degree. go take some online classes on how to keep track of the books and basic business management.

culinary school s a oke m8

woke

>There will be no chocolate at all in a few decades.
I wonder if there are people so stupid that they actually believe this

Do you think customised plastic moulds grow on trees, you flatulent fishmonger? And how the hell are you managing any kind of restaurant if you can't even tell a chocolatier apart from a pastry chef, the latter being a critical part of any kitchen if they want to keep diners for dessert?

It's no wonder you're such a successful 'fish-cook', because you're definitely using some high-quality bait.