What is a sandwich really?

What is a sandwich really?

Where does a calzone fall on this chart?

Probably structural rebel, ingredient neutral.

A pizza.. an autistic yet very productive pizza.

I am a sandwich

Me, your mom, and your sister

If you include Calzones, then can you include dumplings or pizza poppers?

If you include dumplings, can you include Beef Wellington?

What is inside a dumpling? I thought they were just biscuits.

There's different kinds of "dumplings" user. From the US south it's basically just dough that's been cooked in a soup.

But it can also refer to things that are enclosed with a thin covering, like potstickers/gyoza/pirogies/etc. Those could contain meat, vegetables, potato, shellfish, you name it.

Is your only experience with dumplings Bisquick dropped into chicken soup?

Yes

If it's made out of flour or cornmeal and water and it has something inside or in between it, it's a sandwich.

A chip butty is a power up in Earthworm Jim

A miserable pile of secrets

>Miserable little pile of ingredients.

These threads stop when we as a board put our collective foot down and say a sandwich is any ingredient placed inbetween two separate and distinct pieces of bread. No more, no less.

If a calzone is a sandwich. Then a pizza is an open faced sandwich.

However. A pizza is also a lasagna.
>Dough baked in the oven, topped with meat and cheese.

So that means lasagna is also a sandwich.

>lasagna is also a sandwich
I disagree. A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square.

>Implying ravioli isn't just a bunch of tiny sandwiches

a beef wellington is a sandwich

piggies in a blanket are sandwiches

GOOD point

I don't really accept the idea of an open-faced sandwich to begin with, but it's just one of those food ideas that stuck around and you reluctantly call it that because that's what everyone else does, like how any drink in a martini glass is a martini even if there's no gin.

Pasta = flour + water = bread
Lasagna is a sandwich

Lasanga is a sandwich, but not because a pizza is a sandwich.

By virtue of the transitive property of mathematics, if lasagna is a sandwich, and pizza is a sandwich, a lasagna is pizza. Are you implying that pizza is lasagna?

Sorry trips, I should clarify. A pizza is not a sandwich, and a sandwich is more of an overarching classification than a single food item.

are you implying it's not?

This is smorbrod. A well known Norwegian open face sandwich. Is this not indeed a sandwich?
Quiet son. We're working on a breakthrough revolutionary new train of thought.

A pizza is an open-faced sandwich.

I was.
I said it right here.

chicken and waffles is a sandwich

fixed

Who can say that we are not truly God's most wondrous creation.

Only if the chicken is served on top of the waffle.

A waffle with syrup and berries is, however, an open face sandwich.

An open faced sandwich isn't a real thing. Something has to be between or enveloped by a breadlike substance to be a sandwich.

Like this?

>D&D analogies

Yup that's a sandwich

Fuck off Ben. Calzones suck.

?

Kys faggot

double dubs

They really work

So... ravioli, tortellini, uncrustables, and calzones are all sandwiches?

Yes. Just wait till you open them up. More sandwich.

If a burrito is a sandwich, is a tamale a sandwich?

tamales are indeed sandwiches

...every moment we stray further from god's light

San Choy bow is just an open faced protein style sandwich

A garden salad is an open faced veggie Atkins sandwich.

Stop calling them toppings, they're middlings.

Structure neutral, Ingredient purist master race here

A sandwich is just a gringo burrito anyway.

>A pop tart is a sandwich

Fried chicken is a sandwich also.

Structural purist, ingredient rebel is the way to live.

I fucking hate the idiot that made this shit pic.
>structural purist is 2 buns
>structural neural and rebel are both 1 bun
>categorizing sandwiches with the same 0th homotopy group separately
>there's a topological distinction between purist and neutral but none between neutral and rebel
Structural neutral should be a bagel or something, so that in going from purist to neutral it has buns characterized by different elements of the fundamental group but the same that of the 0th homotopy group, and going from neutral to rebel has the buns characterized by different elements in both the 0th homotopy and the fundamental group.

>To qualify as “a sandwich,” a given food product must, structurally, consist of two (2) exterior pieces that are either separate or mostly separate;
>Those pieces must be primarily carbohydrate-based—so, made of bread or bread-like products;
>The whole assemblage must have a primarily horizontal orientation (so, sitting flush with a plate rather than perpendicular to it); and
>The whole assemblage must be fundamentally portable.

Congrats Veeky Forums on a very thought provoking and intelligent thread. Totally serious btw.

Calling lasagna, or any pasta, a sandwich is a major stretch. Pasta, while it may be flour and liquid, has no yeast, or other leavening agent. It's not proofed, it won't rise. It's not bread.
The lasagna's stack and bake cooking style, even if you did call the pasta "bread" would make it a casserole.
The same way tortillas stacked with Mexican sauce cheese and chicken and shit, then baked, wouldn't be a sandwich.

Pizza is a baked, open faced sandwich. A calzone is not a sandwich for the same reasons a meat pie/pot pie is not a sandwich.
Tamales are not sandwiches. Still no bread.
A poptart is a pastry. Is an eclair a sandwich?
I think only one user mentioned a key hallmark of the sandwich, which is portability, they are easy to eat and largely mess/utensil free.
Reminder that burgers are the best sandwiches.

It's the way it's generally understood to everyone anyways, sandwich is used as a verb for this reason

>red when your structural neutral and ingredient rebel but your father iis true nuetral

Are you retarded?

so in your twisted little semantics-obsessed mind, leavened bread is a key component of an object's inherent sandwich-ness

(we aren't on /pol/ so i'll spare you the obvious circumcision/hand-rubbing/large nose anti-semitism)

what about gyros? shwarma? despite not having their protein contained by two pieces of leavened bread, i would argue that they fit enough of the criteria to qualify as a sandwich

basically what i'm saying is, don't be so kikey with your sandwich logic

That all describes a lasagna, except for the last part.

>if you ignore a quarter of the definition it totally means what I want it to mean