/Baking/ general

What does Veeky Forums bake? Can Veeky Forums bake?
I'll dump all my baking and Veeky Forums can bully me.

Other urls found in this thread:

sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knäckebröd
youtu.be/ZrAfMDAqzLg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Last thing I baked: a fruit pie with wild-picked black-cap raspberries.

I'm not a baker but hey, they look good senpai. I'd pay to eat 'em.
I tried my hand at cake, failed every time. Only thing I've been able to bake was white loaves.

Haha dude baking like marijuana haha lol

Here's an apple and raisin strudel I made a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the interior, but it was pretty tasty. The layers of dough didn't separate like I wanted them to, but it was alright for my first time

That cake looks kind of dry and crumby. Also pinterest, I bet you're a fucking woman. I only know that because my pinterest is still full of fucking no side cakes. Whenever you do a no side cake its really important to get the edges smooth, so you need a slightly denser cake. also brush your cake plate of crumbs bitch, and don't top with the same color the rest of the cake is made of. make it pop more.

i'm really into baking with a biga lately. gonna try a poolish next time.

Everything looks really delicious! Especially that pie. Black raspberries are coming into season where my family lives (and I happen to be visiting them right now) and my brother keeps saying we should pick some and make a pie. By "we," of course, he means that I'll bake it and he'll eat most of it.

I bake too, but I'm a little nervous to post my stuff. Savory food is more my area of expertise. I just started baking last November, before that my experience has been limited to helping my Mom bake Christmas cookies every year since I was like...three... (Granted, that's 23 years. But not very much accumulated experience.)

I bake little, I'm not a sweets guy so it's just not appealing to me. The amount of time and the precision of ingredient is just too much for me and given that I can whip savory foods together immediately I focus more on savory chef skills rather than pastry chef skills

this is shit, it doesn't look like a cake and I doubt it'd feel like one

it looks like several sponge cookies stacked on top of each other with canned whip cream in between them WITH CAKE CRUMBS ON FUCKING TOP

I've done it all. Not so much anymore since I like to eat cleaner. Usually only whole wheat bread. I made "healthy" croissants a couple times. Whole wheat flour and reinforced peanut butter. They were pretty good for what they were.

>not putting cake crumbs on top of red velvet cake

Use ring molds lined with acetate

Every pic look really good here!

Pic is a cake I made. It's ugly, since I didn't have the ring to keep it tight and I was a little drunk while making the toppings, but it tasted good and I'm proud of it.

you know those rainbow cookies that clearly aren't rainbow cookies but actually represent the italian flag?

I got myself a secret family recipe for those shits. I would even venture to say I've never had one I liked when compared to mine.
the recipe on paper has intentional misdirection in it so nobody can copy it

I was aiming for something like this but red velvet instead of vanilla

Very nice user, that looks delicious.

is the canadian ketchup cake real?

That's an old cat

>Used to bake a lot and make some killer cookies/ other desserts
>Moved out of parent's place 4 years ago, losing access to a decent stand mixer
>Still no Kitchen Aid mixer to my name
The hand blender I have is ten tons of ass.

I made some miniature apple pies for a birthday this weekend.

Ohhhhh I want to make some apple turn overs rn

>kot

It looks good, and fine for something home made.

I can't bake anymore since I don't really have much of a working kitchen and I need to watch my weight now that I'm over 30 but I like looking at pictures of baked goods.

Why is it so hard to find a cookie recipe that won't give me a hyperglycemic coma? Why do they require SO MUCH SUGAR?

Tried out a new recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies tonight from the International Cookie Cookbook that involves grinding the oats to a powder before adding them. Never tried it. Also had me steam the raisins instead of just boiling them and I think I much prefer this method.

They're quite nice. Going to try more recipes from the book later.

There are tons that don't require much sugar. You can either find sugar substitute stuff by looking at keto recipes or just browse cooking sites for different style cookies (stray away from American recipes, we like our sugar too much). My next batch is gonna be a Mexican cornmeal cookie that only calls for 2/3c sugar in the batch. Should be interesting.

Here's the caption it was originally posted with

>likes cats and baking
>single
Can't compute as a woman

Can you post the recipe you used for those please?

I don't understand. Are you calling me a woman or are you saying that you (as a woman) cannot understand ?

Probably doesn't like fat chicks

Lately I've been having urges to bake my chocolate chip cinnamon rolls, even though I usually only make them during winter times. I might go through with it.
Here is a pre-glazed photo of them

Didn't really use a recipe. Just finely dice a peeled apple, I used granny smith, add raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, pinch of salt and a bit of lemon juice. Then take square sheets of puff pastry, cut them into 4 smaller squares. Add some of the apple mixture on a square, cover with another square, pinch the ends with a fork. Brush with a beaten egg mixed with some cinnamon, and sprinkle some sugar on top. Put in the oven at 200°C/400°F for about 15 minutes till the tops turn golden brown.

Nice, thank you.

Being hypoglycemic makes you tired, not hyperglycemic.

How do i get those large air pockets in the bread?

I like them.

Reduce the sugar

I FUCKING LOVE RED VELVET

Does pizza count? I just made this cast iron deep dish and it was fantastic.

pls be in 'go

I really like the look of this cake! How did you get the rough edges like that? It looks nice to me, great job OP.

I as a woman can't understand

sexy

It was pretty easy -- I baked a half recipe of 80% biga white bread from Ken Forkish's Flour Water Salt Yeast:

For the biga (pre-ferment):
400g unbleached white bread flour
272g room temp water
a pinch of yeast (literally a pinch, a minuscule amount.)

Mix all these together, cover, let rest at room temp for 12-14 hours until tripled in volume.

Final dough:
100g unbleached white bread flour
103g slightly more than lukewarm water
11g salt
¼ tsp (1g) yeast

Mix the final dough ingredients together, then add all of the biga. Incorporate using the pinch and fold method, cover and let rise 2.5-3 hours, strech-and-folding 2-3 times during the first 1.5 hours.

Shape and let proof in a brotform (or oiled bowl) for 1 hour, making sure to preheat a dutch oven to 450F after 20-30 minutes. Bake covered for 30 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 15-30 minutes depending on how dark you like it (I baked this one for 20 min uncovered.)

That looks fucking DELICIOUS!!
I have a cast iron skillet in need of use. How do?

I'd put them in and around my mouth

Back again! I made the Mexican cornmeal cookies. They're topped with pine nuts.

Never tried cornmeal in baking before. Or ever really. It leaves a pretty nice subtle texture and aroma. The cookies came out rather biscuity, bit dry. They'd go great with a coffee or something.

Also made German "dark bread" cookies. Flavored with zest of 2 oranges, finely ground semisweet chocolate, and hazelnuts. Baked twice.

Delicious. Muted flavor that lets the orange through. Kind of like a biscotti. Was a bitch to make though, baking the hazelnuts and dehulling took forever and hand grating the chocolate on a box grater killed me. Definitely need to roll my damn logs tighter too, the batch on the right fell apart a bit on the first bake.

Going to try making Swedish "Dream" cookies later this evening. Anyone try those out? Bought some almond extract for them and holy hell does it smell great.

Drömmar are delicious.
On the bread side, try making some traditional knäckebröd: sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knäckebröd

t.swede

recipe for pic? looks and sounds delicious.

Thanks, saving that!

Here you go! I brought some to work, big hit. The orange is really nice.

I'm not into baking photography but I bake cookies, cakes, brownies, muffins, tarts, etc.
I follow recipes for the most part, but I have done some experimenting.

These look so good

>appelflappen

here's some milk bread I made, want to try this
next. I like to make choux au craquelin, will try crullers soon but probably fried not baked.

Is baking a good way to recover from anorexia?
I am a 123lb 6'0 male, I recently gained 23lbs but I have lost 4lbs in like 4 months. baking seems fun and tasty

Baking IS fun and tasty. You should give it a tr.
Start with something simple but to your taste. And don't be disheartened if you screw up, it happens to all of us. Just try again and have fun.
Also considering the sugary amounts and high calorie content in baking goods, it should help you.

I'm no therapist but baking sure can be an easy way to gain weight if you like sweets. Plus, having cookies and quick breads and stuff laying around can make for quick high calorie snacks, sounds like they might help your situation.

I bring half or more of everything I bake to work and give it away just to avoid gaining weight.

8 youtu.be/ZrAfMDAqzLg

Back again with the dream cookies! Interesting recipe, muted taste but fun texture. Almond-y. I like it.

I don't think I could've TRIED to make them uglier though.

And the second batch I made tonight, "Brutti Ma Buoni al Cacao" or Ugly but Good Cocoa. These use ground hazelnuts and almonds, vanilla and almond extract, and both cocoa powder and melted unsweetened chocolate.

Anyone else baking tonight?

How did you make it so its not runny at all? Cornstarch? Tapioka? Apples? Did you heat the filling in advance?

you need to respect the uniqueness of whipped cream. its a perfect summer food that is too decadent to be eaten alone. a whipped cream dominant cake is a perfectly cooling dessert