Pizzamaking Thread

Have a pizza in the oven. Will attempt to detail my process of making it.

Started with this whole wheat dough recipe that I made in my food processor:

allrecipes.com/recipe/46595/amazing-whole-wheat-pizza-crust/

I roasted some garlic at 350 in the oven for 1 hour that I will add to it when it gets out of the oven. I live alone so I can eat all the garlic I want.

I usually stuff it in foil and add salt and olive oil.

I then made a tomato sauce of 2 cans of 28 oz whole tomatoes that I pureed in the food processor.

I started with an onion, diced, sautéed with 2 stars of celery, when light brown I added about 1/4 cup of red wine. Salt, maybe 2 tsp dried oregano, 2 small bay leaves (cheap ones are small!), pepper.

I added maybe 2 tsp of honey and the tomatoes and let it simmer on medium for about 30 minutes until it was thickened.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_Uu_sEnNKcI
pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/disciplinare 2008 UK.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I separately made pesto from frozen Basil (Serious Eats says freezing it give you a better result) in the food processor. Added about 3 tbsp of pine nuts, the recipes I looked at seems very meek in the amount of pine nuts and garlic I hope it won't be overwhelming, but I was almost out of good parmesan so I wanted more of other ingredients. I used 4oz of basil and probably 1 tsp of salt. Processed the basil, added salt and pine nuts which I toasted in a skillet for 5 minutes on medium in some olive oil, about an ounce of parmesan and blended till smooth.

I chopped up some hen of the woods mushrooms and sautéed those on medium heat until light brown.

I let the dough rise for about 2 hours then put it in a half sheet pan that was oiled with olive oil and let it rise for 30 minutes more.

I then par-baked my crust at 550 for 7 minutes.

Took it out, topped it with pesto, then tomato sauce, then mushrooms, then about 3/4 pound of Merguez sausage I had lying around.

Then topped it with mozzarella (packed in water, fresh), Monocacy Ash goat's cheese, and sprinkled some goat's cheddar on top. I then put the whole thing in a full sheet pan lined with foil to catch leaks and I'm baking it now at 550.

Will post a picture when it comes out.

I apologize, I am not the world's best photographer, but it looks yummy. Will report back with taste in a few minutes.

bump

Your cheese is over-cooked, see the sweat.
You should add the cheese once the cooking is done and just let it melt slowly.

Don't know about your recipe but the allrecipes pizza is one of the worst I've ever seen.

>bake pizza for a while without toppings
>add pesto and cheese (mozzarella and scamorza)
>bake until it's ready
>add tomatoes

Simple and good.

I like my cheese brown.

What is so bad about the dough recipe?

>try to make pizza
>make disaster

It's way too dry, gives almost no time for gluten to develop, baked at too low a temperature for too long and imo has too much whole wheat. You'll end up with a hard tack like crust rather than something airy and chewy.

The dough looks great.

Was it at least a tasty disaster?

I baked it at 550. Perhaps dough needed a bit more water but it tasted fine. I wanted that much whole wheat for health reasons. It wasn't hard tack, it is not as airy as pure white dough but I accept that compromise in the name of health. I think letting it rise in the pan you cook it in before baking is key to airiness.

> I wanted that much whole wheat for health reasons.
Fair enough.
>I think letting it rise in the pan you cook it in before baking is key to airiness.
I agree. I baked this completely on the pan without even turnning the oven on. Scorching hot pan, 1-1.5 min. Flip 30 sec. Hang the lip out over the direct flame and burn. Flip back. Heated up sauce and cheese on. Lower flame. Lid on long enough for the cheese to melt.

Small, but it's the best homemade pizza I've had in my life. Definitely in terms of the crust. Helps that the dough was cold fermented in the fridge for 36 hours.

Yeah I just didn't have time to let mine sit in the fridge for forever, and honestly, last time I let mine sit in the fridge for 24 hours I didn't notice a difference in taste or texture. I just had to let mine rise long enough so the gluten developed by the food processor relaxed long enough to stretch and soften. Really the only change I would make next time is adding more water to the dough.

Here is a closer slice shot. Sorry about the paper plate. I am a pleb.

>RAW cheese

I make pizza all the time
Some pro tips: no knead dough, ideally let it rise and develop gluten for 2-3 days at 10-15 celsius
Get a pizza stone if you make pizza even semi frequently, makes all the difference
Blast it at the highest heat your oven goes to, great pizza is baked at 400 degrees celsius and your home oven does not get that hot.
Aim for 1:1 water flour or as close as you can while you can still handle the dough for best results

Made this today, probably doesn't give me lot of credibility for my advice though lmao
the crust is kinda garbage cause it's way too fucking hot and moist here right now so the dough ends up being shitty so that's my excuse
eggplant, caramelized onions, sunflower seeds and goat cheese with moz of course and bit of parm grated on top
just wanted to try something wild, the seeds + eggplant was lot better than I expected, I imagine pine nuts or pumpkin seeds would be even better

Here's a regular margherita from ages ago with proper dough, 3 days ferment in 14 celsius or so, tasted and looks way better

this was from the same batch of dough I believe, red onion, fresh jalapeno, chorizo and bacon

oh and as far as sauces go, simple is better, I've tried basically everything but ended up with recipe like this
>bit of olive oil on a pan, throw in one anchovy filet and 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped the fuck out
>stir all the time so the anchovy melts to the oil
>when it starts sizzling, cook for minute then add can of san marzano tomatoes/good quality crushed tomatoes if you are poor
>add bit of salt, pepper, sugar and dried herb blend
>simmer that shit until it's desired consistency

I usually make batch out of 5-6 cans and tin of anchovies and freeze it. Also you can add bit of chili flakes with the garlic or cayenne with the spices if you want bit of kick to it. Bit of fresh oregano/basil doesn't hurt either.

Carrots/onion/stock/wines/vinegars etc. are kinda fucking pointless in pizza sauce in my opinion, they don't bring much anything to it that you wouldn't get from the dough or toppings and most of the time just end up being lost under all the other flavors, so keep the shit simple, reduce it down to the bare minimum ingredients that absolutely need to be in the sauce, cause the rest will come from the other stuff on pizza.

I'm not looking for a thin crust or Neapolitan style and for health reasons it needs to be at least 1/4 whole wheat if I'm making it at home. Would it be useful to buy gluten or wheat germ on amazon at all? I don't have a pizza stone but the results from a sheet pan were not bad at 550. Dough just needed a bit more water for airiness and I only let mine ferment for 3 hours because I didn't want to wait.

Oh should have added anchovies. I use regular domestic tomatoes and I can't tell the difference. Serious Eats said they are even sweeter. I used a whole chopped onion, 2 cloves of sliced garlic, 2 bay leaves, 2 cans 28 oz whole tomatoes, 2 celery stalks, salt, pepper, red wine, and honey.

>I use regular domestic tomatoes and I can't tell the difference
Yeah absolutely!
Didn't mention it cause where I live we basically get ripe and sweet enough tomatoes to actually cook them to sauce or soups from scratch for 1 month a year, 2 if you get lucky, so it's not something I really even think about.
Honestly, lot of those ingredients are kinda wasted on pizza sauce in my opinion, but do your own experiments and find a recipe you like.
>for health reasons it needs to be at least 1/4 whole wheat if I'm making it at home
That's totally doable, I just use regular all purpose for my pizza but nothing stops you from using whatever, just go with the consistency of the dough rather than absolute weight measurements in that case, I've made whole wheat/durum flour mix pizzas in the past. With whole wheat the crust usually ends up bit drier and crispier, just something to keep in mind.
>Would it be useful to buy gluten or wheat germ on amazon at all?
I have no experience with that so can't help you unfortunately.
>I'm not looking for a thin crust or Neapolitan style
Mine usually come out as thin crust from the bottom and crispy but chewy on the edge, pretty happy with them.

Here's a neat before/after pic, I think it's jalapeno, red onion, smoked ham and pepperoni

I wonder if it would be better to use whole wheat pastry flour?

I'm going more for like greasy crisp with olive oil with a foamy texture.

So what are the qualities of this dough over a new york style dough? The coloring from the heat is great but it looks like it might bite like a cracker. Is it worth making over a perfectly made new york style dough? I've never even bothered to make neapolitan style pizza at home because there's a spot nearby that does it and I'm more of a new york/sicilian fan.

>it looks like it might bite like a cracker
Nah, it's chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside, though I can make it bit crispier by giving it minute or two more in the oven if I'm in the mood for that.
I don't really know what kinda quality is NY pizza crust so can't compare.
I don't really know if this is neapolitan style or what, I just made like 500 pizzas or something in 2 years and experimented with different kinds of dough and this is the 'end' product of that, it's something I personally found to be the best.

revisited this pizza today, the crust looks lot better already cause I let it rest in the fridge for just day longer.

Also tried thicker, around 1cm slices of eggplant which didn't work out that well, they were watery and limp, lesson learned.

Hey senpai, try using about ~3 grams of yeast (that's fresh yeast, the only kind really sold here) and let it cold rise in the fridge for 48 hours instead. It becomes flavorful.

It also really helps to have a slab of granite in the oven which you heat at your baking temperature for an hour or so. This makes sure your bread gets nicely golden brown on the entire bottom.

To clarify: you put the pizza on the rock slab of course.

this one looks great mate

I've never made pizza before, do you make it on the grill thingy of the oven or that is how you let it cool?

I just let it cool a bit on the rack, it doesn't get airflow when the dough is pressed against the pizza stone in the oven, so if I throw the pizza straight on to a plate from the oven, the bottom becomes lot more soft and soggier
Using the rack for just 30 seconds will let air flow and all that moisture to evaporate from the bottom giving the pizza super crispy crust even in the bottom.
thanks m8, here's another shot of it, the edges puffed up really nicely, also that bubble in the middle was delicious as heck

can you elaborate on the dough please, I want to try this, also will the result be not as good if I use a regular oven tray?

sorry if my English is not very good.

>will the result be not as good if I use a regular oven tray
No, it really won't, but you can try stacking 2 trays and letting them warm up with the oven and throwing your pizza on them, won't be as good but not as bad as using cold trays.
My dough recipe is
~500g flour
~4-4,5 dl water
~1/4 tsp instant yeast
~1/4 tsp sugar (this is probably not even needed but I put it in out of habit)
~1,5 tsp salt
~2 tbsp olive oil
this makes 4 dough balls

just throw everything to a bowl and mix that shit, then let it rise in the fridge for 2-3 days, ideal temperature is between 10-15 celsius and 3 days of rising from my experience
And I usually let my dough rise for 2-3 days, separate the dough in 4 portions, roll them in to balls and cling wrap them and throw them in the fridge and use whenever I feel like eatin pizza. I've heard they freeze well too but never tried that myself.

Oh and some notes
You probably want to make bit dryer dough the first time so opt for 3,75-4dl of water as less moist dough is easier to handle
ALWAYS and I repeat ALWAYS form the pizza crusts by hand, pin will fuck up the texture
Youtube has some pizza dough tutorials to get the idea how to handle one, I just flour my hands, flatten the doughball a bit, pick it up and start rotating it, this really comes with experience so just keep making pizza
You can also rise the dough 24 hours in room temp and transfer the individual dough balls to fridge after that (did that with my latest batch actually) but it will result with less tasty and poorer texture crust

thanks a lot man, I'll try this

Damn user that wheat pizza looks like BAKED ASS

Plz convert to freedom units.

I think it's around 18-20 oz flour and 1 3/4 cups of water
I don't know how much one day is in freedom time though, hope you can figure the rising time on your own

>I let the dough rise for about 2 hours

I never get good results with fast rise times.

Shit sounds good, regardless. Good luck.

Not him, but convert it yourself, faggot. We're the only country too stupid to move to the superior measuring system because muh misapplied nationalism.

It was fine. I just want the texture to be a bit springier.

Nationalism is never misappropriated.

Some of the keys to home oven cooked pizza success I found through a lot of experimentation:

1. Wet dough makes a better crust. I lost my fookin' recipe when my puter died, but I think I was using 60-61% water to flour by weight. So for 1000g's of flour, I was adding 600g's of water, which made it hard to handle, but it also made the best crust.

2. Low yeast combined with a long ferment makes a better crust. 24 hour minimum ferment time in the fridge, but it's also excellent on day 2 and 3.

3. Adjust your oven racks so you can use your broiler to heat up a stone and cook your pizza. I got the best results by taking the cheap pizza stone I bought and adjusting my rack to get that fucker like 3-4 inches below the broiler. Then I crank up the oven with the broiler on and leave the door open so the broiler stays on. Slide the pizza in, and it's done in like 6-7 minutes. Takes practice.

Why would less yeast be better?

So it allows the dough to ferment at a slower pace, which seems to provide a better end product.

youtu.be/_Uu_sEnNKcI 9

pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/disciplinare 2008 UK.pdf

The Italians canonized their pizza recipe, it's still a good recipe even if you use a conventional oven.

This is my latest pizza. Can't be bothered to post the dough recipe right now but I'll explain the toppings.

For a 'sauce', I had some left over roasted veggies (eggplant, brussel sprouts, broccoli, and bell pepper) to which I added olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and umami paste (comes in a tube and has a bunch of savory ingredients). I mashed this into a paste/sauce consistency and spread it on the dough. I added spinach, cheese, and some sliced chicken breast and pork sausage which I also had left over.

Baked it at 550F for about 10 minutes with a 1 minute broil at the end. Pretty gud.

not the dude you replied to parroting recipes from seriouseats but the lower yeast content will mean it's not consuming as quickly while the dough proofs which preserves the flavor saving you from making sourdough or ass flavored bread

Also lol at your "wet" dough, that's just normal ass pizza dough given the no knead treatment. You could have the common courtesy to save these user some time and link the site you're ripping info from and regurgitating over lengthy and messy fucking posts

For anybody interested in making their own pizza literally just google 'pizza seriouseats' and follow whatever recipe interests you. They have it down to a science.

would eat / 10

This Italian recipe using type 00 flour is using about a 54% ratio of water to flour.

I think most home pizza makers don't make the dough wet enough.

>Also lol at your "wet" dough
1:1 of water and flour is considered pretty wet no? I mean I've done (literally) ton of pizza and handling dough that wet was pretty tricky to me, granted it resulted in a really good crust but still.
And yeah, the recipe is not really any special compared to any sites offering pizza recipes but that's probably because it's not very complex dish nor does making the crust involve any gimmicks or tricks, it's simple stuff, user asked for my recipe so I gave one. No need to get upset.

>bake pizza for a while without toppings
This is pretty key if you can't get to 500 degrees C. The dough gets too soggy towards the middle otherwise.

With a not-so-hot home oven cooking time is against you, the dough will get overcooked/undercooked in parts so you gotta get the skills to manage it.

>autolyse your dough
>overnight retard preferred
>reform and rest for 40 mins or so at room temp before baking
>max out your oven temp (~250 degrees C)
>on a floured slate surface, gently push, separate and expand the dough into a circle with your fingers (never use a rolling pin as you don't want to pop the bubbles)
>flip into a pre-heated cast iron or thick bottomed steel pan
>bake the empty base for 3 mins placing the pan in the hottest hot spot of your oven (you may have to turn the base half way through to get even crust)
>take it out and put sauce, toppings (all at a hot temp), cheese on ASAP.
>immediately back in for 5-6 mins

>This is pretty key if you can't get to 500 degrees C. The dough gets too soggy towards the middle otherwise.
Not from my experience, though I do use pizza stone which probably allows the crust to cook properly even with just 300
Still, my cooking time is at absolute best 6 minutes, usually 8 or so

>he kept the skin on the eggplant

K Y S

I try to avoid using their recipes. I find them fussy. I usually just check out a bunch of more mainstream recipes on all recipes and look at the ratio of ingredients and cook times and mix and match to get what I feel is right and based on what ingredients I have on hand.