Was the cooking in the 50s and 60s that bad that it lead the way of McDonald dominating family dinners for decades to...

Was the cooking in the 50s and 60s that bad that it lead the way of McDonald dominating family dinners for decades to come?

yup

Pretty much yeah. That period marked the rise of convenience food in general--vegetables from a can, pudding and gelatin from a powder, meat from a can, fruit from a can.... not particularly appetizing stuff

McDonald's was also much, MUCH better back when it first started

It wasn't that homecooked meals tasted bad and people wanted to escape it, it was a combination of the early roots of feminism, technofetishism, and the strengthening of the middle class.

Women didn't want to spend all day cooking. People thought that mass production was really neat.
People also thought that having people make your food for you without any occasion was neat too.

I'd say it wasn't that the cooking got so bad, but the abandonment of cooking became such a thing that convenience foods (basically war rations) and frozen food (better than canned for out of season stuff) took over the market by way of advertising to people who had lived through the Great Depression and WWII. Those people were just thankful to have cheap food to eat while they got drunk. So the point at which fast food started to taste better than what most people were eating at home hit pretty quick. Definitely by the early '60's, and surely across the country by the '70's.

When you come across an old recipe for something like "tuna jello pie" you think of probably some scam to sell more jello back in the day. But I think that people actually really ate stuff like that. They must have liked it?? I mean, maybe it's one of those things that if you're ignorant of what it is you don't know any better and you can allow yourself to enjoy it? Hell if I know.

It was really good up until some point in the 70s I'd say.

Aspic's pretty gross, but maybe you could use it to make those delicious pretend bugs from that scene in The Lion King

No it was feminism and the destruction of the nuclear family.

It was actually advertising and industrially produced convenience food.

My question still is did people eat this stuff because they enjoyed the taste or was it more of a novelty thing?
Also, I assume that everyone bought the idea that advertisers were pushing about this stuff being healthy.

>Dominating family dinners
I hope your joking because that's fucking sad.
>Land of the free
>Free to be brainwashed into eating cardboard dinners

White people cooking was

This was post WWII, everywhere was still recovering from the war where you didn't have as many options.

It was all about convenience. Vacuums, washing machines, hair treatments, canned and frozen foods and microwave ovens to heat stuff quickly.
The wondrous technologies promised a future of leisure and were embraced wholeheartedly.

Just look at the science fiction and advertising of the time. It's all about convenience and speed.

Both mcdonalds and the horrible food from pre-prepared crap were symptoms of the same cultural trends.

highkey this morning i had toast with peanut butter and sriracha

Lets say the trap was set about 150 years ago in north america
American culture had zero food of its own bacon maybe

How does one clean installed carpet without a vacuum cleaner?

>ywn experience a 50's drive in diner complete with classic American cars and a qt3.14 to drink milkshakes with
What went wrong?

Giant corporations killed them

Carpet sweeper

Those do fuckall. There's good reason fitted carpet didn't exist before vacuum cleaners. In the past, carpets were taken outside and beaten vigorously to get dust out.

It was hip back then, burgers used to be hip and not something everyone could make at home

Same as your avacado taco salads with oranges and strawberries and grilled chicken wrapped up that you buy in a bread bowl tortilla flatbread wrap, these days

carpet shouldn't exist at all desu that shit is nasty as fuck. I'm searching for an apartment right now and it's annoying because everything has disgusting 10 year old carpet

Whats wrong don't you like SonicTM? For the more authentic consumer try Johnny RocketsTM

It's much noisier without it. A bunch of nasty crud collected under it doesn't even slightly inconvenience you. Be sure to have adequate HEPA if your living space has no forced air system.

They convinced women that domestic duties were unfashionable and reason enough to cheat on your partner if you had to do them.

Drive in diners with skate servers still exist. Europe has some 1950's Americana themed places too.

You would have been at home reading comic books.

>what is Sonic

A Mcdonalds with a drive in
Seriously their food is literal garbage and I say this as someone who worked in one for about a year

>It is surely no mere coincidence that the land of the emancipated and enthroned woman is also the land of canned soup, of canned pork and beans, of whole meals in cans, and of everything else ready-made.

Yes and no. Food back then was just really fucking bland because nobody wanted to put in the effort of actually making food that didn't taste like cardboard. Also this Cancer.

However, that era was necessary because we wouldn't have food success stories today if we didn't have a decade or two of disgusting food experimentation.

That you believed the idealized nostalgia for the 50s encompassed in a restaurant reflected reality