Is a Costco membership worth it grocery wise?

Is a Costco membership worth it grocery wise?

Other urls found in this thread:

costco.com/recalls.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not really, but their psychological services are cheap and good.

If you have a family of 4, sure
Otherwise fuck no
Their glasses are actually ok

/thread

I normally just go there for the chiropractor and haircuts, sometimes get my knives sharpened / tires realigned. The free sample four course meals are a bonus.

What if I'm a fat fuck who spends $200-250 a month on my groceries?

You'd end up spending way more for the same variety of what you eat, or you'd be eating hotdogs/beans/whatever for a week straight

As far as grocery's for an individual these club stores are not worth it.
Any branded product they sell is going to be sold at the msrp but unlike your typical grocery store they almost never have sales, specials, or honor coupons.
So unless your buying and breaking down full primals or supplying an office or large family they aren't worth it.

Toiletries are fantastic to get from them
Same with some clothes or alcohol or dry goods at times

wow gee a whole $250? fucking poorfag, I spend that much every week for my family

Costco has sales all the time

Do they have a decent whisky?

Yeah, regular stores can't beat Costco at stuff like water bottles and toilet paper.

Costco is actually amazing for meet and produce. Snagged a 3 pack of gigantic ribeyes the other day for about 10 bucks a piece. At any local grocery store steaks this size would go for twice as much.

You can get double your money's worth pretty much on broccoli, fruits, spinach, etc. Only caveat is that you actually need to eat it before it spoils.

That's sizable for one person.

Why don't you buy like those one day Costco passes and see if your usual shopping is enough to justify a Costco membership?

Even paper towels?

Those fucks are always at least 0.90 per roll.

Can't you just freeze the bulk?

Don't exist.

Since you recently bought stuff like Costco, I hope you are aware that both the government and places like Costco post recall information online and before you shop for food anywhere, to go online and take at least a glance at recent recalls before you go shopping for food or other items.

costco.com/recalls.html

Totally. Mine is full of meat atm though. They also have amazing deals on pork belly and chicken thighs, and we went a little hog wild last trip.

Seriously though the pork belly is probably my favorite there, absolute steal at the price especially if you don't have a reputable butcher shop near you. You'll pay twice as much at somewhere like Whole Foods.

If you have a Costco business center nearby, the deals can be even better (but no deli).

that's pretty good to know, thanks dude

Costco is actually horrible for meat and produce in California at least lol, Ribeyes are routinely "on sale" for 10 bucks where as local grocers have it far cheaper like down to 6$ on sale same as produce and everything else. Meat and veggies is the one thing I never buy at coscto because of their horrible prices, 7$ for a couple of avocados, tritip for 10$ a lb, ground beef is like 8$ a lb.

any evidence for these outlandish claims?

>eating $10/lb ribeye
>eating fucking $6/lb ribeye
is there ever a point where people you go "hmm, I think I'll pass on that"

or will you just shovel anything down your throat as long as it's legally allowed to be sold for human consumption

I mean yeah I get it, the planet can't sustain to send all the beef cattle to Philips Exeter and give them a juice cleanse before slaughter if we're gonna feed 6 billion people, but you could, I dunno, maybe eat it less often so you can afford something that isn't sketchy as fuck

Just freeze it

Well at least I'm not a nigger who can't read, I was simply giving examples of the pricing at costco being shit, they sell USDA choice ribeye on sale for 10 bucks when grocery stores regularly drop it to like 6 bucks on sale, and prime from 17$ down to like 12$. Costco is horrible for meat and makes you buy like 50$ worth of shit meat. I get all my meat from a locally sourced butcher now go be a fucking retard somewhere else.

Costco has shit tier deals on meat and produce compared to your local grocery store, and even if its on sale you literally have to buy 50$ worth of it. If you want bulk mildly cheap meat sure its great but you could just wait for a sale at your normal grocery store and get a large amount and freeze it. Another comparison of their great deals is untrimmed tritip going for 11$ a lb when thats around the price you would pay for lb for a marinated and trimmed tritip. You would be better off just taking the money and buying something from your local butcher thats much higher quality. Proof of my local dirt cheap ribeyes that are far cheaper than costco.

so you're saying you don't eat $6/lb ribeyes, you just, for some reason, memorize which places have it and which don't

I mean its not hard to remember a stores prices specially when comparing shit.I have a bunch of family visiting so I actually went through the weekly ads that all the grocery stores send you and 6 buck ribeye is on the first page and I had just gone to costco yesterday to buy some shit and I like to browse the meat section to see what ridiculously overprice shit cuts they have. Have the online version of our weekly ad.

More

Nigga, that's nothing. A family of 5 easily spends that much in a WEEK and even then it's probably still not worth a costco membership because everything you buy there is fucking bulk and lasts you 3-4 months (i.e. your "weekly" grocery will consist of buying things that you last bought 3-4 months ago in rotation and then going to some other grocery store for essentials because costco normally jacks up the price on essential/non-bulk items).

THIS, familam. Costco is only good if you like to buy 5lbs jars of mustard regularly

I have the feeling there's very few niggers and almost no youths at costco so I'd shop there just for that.

That entirely depends on where you live. You can go in for a 'tour' of the store if you ask (they leave you the fuck alone, you just can't buy anything), write down the prices and sizes of the items you normally buy, then compare them to the typical prices at your typical grocery store.

You live in fly over land, lad? If you want to avoid niggers, go to Whole Foods. At least there you are getting fucked in the ass price wise and not being lied about it. (The other anons are not exaggerating about produce and other daily essentials being seriously over priced at Costco)

The majority of 'flyover land' is actually quite nigger free and is very pleasant.

I just get snack food, bulk foods, booze and non food shit there and you know the rotisserie chickens lol. Sure cotsco has great prices on 25 lbs of rice, beans, flour but for stuff that normally isn't in bulk it isn't that good.

If you study economics or business, you'd know smart and midddle-class/wealthy people shop at 4-6 different stores, never just one. You'd also know that the demographic that has a Costco card is family income higher than 100k, fact.

If you live close enough to a Costco or BJs, to put it easily in your 4-6 rotation, its arguably the only place you can entertain or do holiday meals at a great price. That whole prime rib roast, or those amazing steaks are priced right. Getting a whole pork loin for a cookout at a ridiculous price is also good. For the single person or couple, this can make the difference in "worth it" but don't forget the nice food gifts like the giant canister of pistachios or imported tray of chocolates larger than can be found anywhere else the fancy selection. If you drink mainstream brands of coffee, shaving off $10/month off of your giant 5lb bag of starbucks or dunkin will pay for the card. There can be savings on some loss leader veggies sometimes if you can handle the quantities that is...which are huge. I think no one has the better prices on mega rolls of best brands of toilet paper, or the 3 pack of nexium for instance, but you really do need to know your prices to parse that out for each of your usual purchases.
If your idea of shopping is $40/week and you dont budge, then you don't go there. If you frequently buy ahead, and can plunk down $250 one week to load up your favorite giant bags of dates, walnuts, and hurricane season stock up of gatorade bottles, water bottles, frappuccino ready to drink, and pure leaf tea? Then costco is fun like that. If you expect company for someones birthday, and you want to load up the house with a nice tray of pastries to wake them up in the morning, some road trip car snacks in nice canisters or school lunch bags, or as a teacher, things you can buy in bulk to bribe those children to behave, I mean reward....

>people shop at 4-6 different stores
usually it's people with nothing to do that spends this much time shopping. Elderly, niggers, neets, unemployed.. If you'd work an hour extra you'd easily save both time and money.

>That whole prime rib roast, or those amazing steaks are priced right. Getting a whole pork loin for a cookout at a ridiculous price is also good.

or you can go to a fucking butcher... also the meat at costco is crap choice cuts and corn fed crap. terrible

not really. if you are only targeting specific sale items among your weekly essentials, it easily becomes worth it. and going to specialty shops like butchers are totally worth the extra effort from a quality standpoint.

It doesn't cost time to shop at different stores. You seem small minded. Smart people rotate between their stores, not hit them all up on the same exact day.

>or you can go to a fucking butcher... also the meat at costco is crap choice cuts and corn fed crap. terrible
I can go to my german butcher and get a prime rib roast for half the size for $60 more than Costco. I doubt you even have had a Costco "crap choice cut" as you state. What's your damage? The point is if the membership is worth it, not if butchers exist.

You go to a couple different stores over a couple days based around sales... do you not have a car or a brain? Or you go on the weekend and go to all of them over like an hour or 2. You do have a car right? You don't have to take a bus or ride your bike and thats why going to more than one store seems like some fabled thing only people with 16 hours of free time can do? If you are grabbing a couple items from each store it takes no time at all.

Sounds like a german jew. and your dysfunction is asuming beef prices are the same everywhere. In farm country butchers get their stuff locally, i.e. cheaper and much better quality than Costco.

It's not worth it. Most of the bulk crap they sell can be bought elsewhere at more or less the same price anyway. Only idiots pay for the privilege of shopping at a store.

>it doesn't cost time to shop at different stores
I forgot how we live in the future with teleporters everywhere
>
>ad hominem
nice start.
>shop around over a couple of days
seems very efficient and not costly at all, in time or money
>spend 2 hours shopping
more like 3 with all the driving, just to save 20 bucks. good job!

you only have one or two stores in your shit hole small town? you have to drive to the shit hole next over to shop somewhere else? there are literally 3-5 different CHAINS within literally walking distance of each other in my neighbourhood, plus a butcher, asian foods store, european import store, fish monger etc all within 5 minutes.

I think the main problem is most people do not check the weekly sales or use coupons.
They see 2L bottles of soda at $1.75 at their grocery and $1.25 at Costco. They think Costco is a good deal but if they looked a bit harder they would see that some other grocery is having a sale for only 88ยข.

Sales flyer's all come out the same day. The only extra time it takes is a quick internet lookup and the time spent driving to another store.

People who buy 2l of soda are generally not smart shoppers in any case

>>shop around over a couple of days
>seems very efficient and not costly at all, in time or money
I think maybe you don't even cook or shop, just stay in your little basement while other people support you. When I shop, I can choose what I'm making next couple of meals or days, and then in my mind add those needs to whatever I'm running low on at home, and decide which of my 4-6 rotating stores its time to go to. I do purposefully stock up on coffee from one place if that's where I am shopping, or get my dry goods, or that favorite jam, or that amazing bread type, just depending which store I picked. What I dont do is buy the bag of onions where it is $10 more, if I can hold out for the other store on my next visit there. After a while, you have in your mind what the advantages of various stores tends to be, and you shop them when you are there. WTF is all your nonsense about time or efficiency in some little world scenario in your brain? You need to get over yourself and how you do things to understand what makes the most sense, which is why smart people shop this way.

>smart people shop this way
keke

people who actually enjoying cooking and eating good food shop this way. not people who buy stale second rate bulk shit (and pay for the privilege! LOL)

>being on Veeky Forums
>liking food

double keke

wow hold on guys. we have someone who is hot shit posting on this board. hope your wore your ties to Veeky Forums today.

also how fast do you think toilet paper and cereal go stale

cereal goes stale pretty quickly. especially if you have like a 2 kilobox in a single opened bag.
and TP is just as cheap at walmart and half a dozen other places at any given time. only idiots think they are 'saving' anything by subscribing for a paid membership at costco.

Wrong. And that's not how cereal is sold at Costco. Congratulations proving you know nothing about wholesalers. I bet you've never even been to one. Come back when you're older, kiddo. The adults are talking here. See you on the boards... next time try to research what you're talking about.... heh

>spends $60/yr on costco membership
>has to go out of his way to drive to outlet mall on other side of town
>to save $2 a month on toilet paper
>buys rest of groceries at regular grocery store anyway because costco over charges on essentials

costco that smart mans grocery chain

If most of what you buy is large format highly processed stuff you might save some money at Costco. But you really shouldn't feed that shit to your family in the first place.

im going against the grain here but, yes.
I'm an executive member and I have a water cooler service from them that costs me a buck a month and delivered refills for like $7. stuff like blueberries, cherries, beer, almonds, nuts, chicken, cereals, grains, fish, energy bars, medicine, bread, cheese and their samples and food are are good.
I mostly but random items when it's a good deal as well.
I got 2 fast safes for my guns for 1/3 of the price online, I'm also buying furniture and wine. bulk onions and potatoes.
i get 2% plus 5% with my membership plus my payment method. it's not much but it takes care of taxes even in gas.

get someone to buy you a gift card if you want to try it out.

It's almost as if you'd go to other stores depending on sales.

costco refunds their membership when ever you cancel it. basic membership is $60 a year.

>Costco is actually horrible for meat and produce in California at least lol, Ribeyes are routinely "on sale" for 10 bucks where as local grocers have it far cheaper like down to 6$ on sale same as produce and everything else. Meat and veggies is the one thing I never buy at coscto because of their horrible prices, 7$ for a couple of avocados, tritip for 10$ a lb, ground beef is like 8$ a lb.

I'm in Colorado. Like I said I don't have a good butcher in good vicinity and the two chain grocery stores near me (Safeway, King Soopers) puts their steaks on sale for the same price I can get them for normal at Costco. This isn't even comparing size or cut either, the ones from Costco for me have always been better. Same for produce.

It depends on where you live. I love Costco pizza and chicken but it's always crowded at mine. Nowhere to park and the lines take forever.

I prefer Sam's Club.