Umami

>Umami

It's the best option available. Using "savory" as a noun is stupid, and "savoriness" is kinda clumsy to say.

SAGE.

why

you can use "sweet" as a noun and it works just the same

you can noun anything you want to really

No

how else to describe gyokuro
checkmate faggot

savoury: having a taste that is salty not sweet

umami: a taste found in some foods that is neither sweet, sour, bitter nor

>nor
salty

Nor what

NO YOU CANT

THERE ARE A WHOLE BUNCH OF RULES THAT DICTATE EVERY STEP IN OUR LIVES

oooh mommy!

see

So air is umami?

I use "MSG flavor" myself.
It's practically the same thing.

i never really understood umami desu

i can create umami in any dish with the right amount of salt and pepper

No, it is still a distinct flavorful component, generally found in seafood.

>Generally, umami taste is common to foods that contain high levels of L-glutamate, IMP and GMP, most notably in fish, shellfish, cured meats, mushrooms, vegetables (e.g., ripe tomatoes, Chinese cabbage, spinach, celery, etc.) or green tea, and fermented and aged products involving bacterial or yeast cultures, such as cheeses, shrimp pastes, fish sauce, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, and yeast extracts such as Vegemite and Marmite.

Sweetness and Umami are two completely different things.

>Why call it Umami?
Because the Japanese named it first.

that's not true

That's even more fedoracore than umami

Savory isn't the same thing as salty.

>A loanword from the Japanese (うま味), umami can be translated as "pleasant savory taste".[6] This neologism was coined in 1908 by Japanese chemist Kikunae Ikeda from a nominalization of umai (うまい) "delicious". The compound 旨味 (with mi (味) "taste") is used for a more general sense of a food as delicious.

So umami basically means delicious and savory. Most people already take savory to mean pleasant-tasting.

Umami as a word was created in 1908. Savory was used as early as 1200. They both basically mean the same thing. I think people started using "umami" to describe their food because it made it sound more interesting and exotic.

Why would you use it as a noun? We don't use sour as a noun.

would you like a whiskey sour?

wouldn't sour be an adjective there though

it's basically the same thing as saying a sour whiskey

A sour that has the attributes of a whiske?