Sure taste is relative and all, but is there a physical limit to how good something can taste

Sure taste is relative and all, but is there a physical limit to how good something can taste.

If I go eat at a Michelin restaurant is the food they serve there taste-capped? Given I already have an appreciation for the dish.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I am of the belief that taste is capped, yes, but that that cap is very hard to achieve. Not even Michelin will taste orgasm tier if you're not already in the proper settis to enjoy food.

yes

Lifehack: to transcend beyond the limits of flavor and taste, pop some MDMA and hit up the local waffle house

>eating on mdma

Taste is capped by your brain, not necessarily the food. A michelin star restaurant can only provide you as much satisfaction as your brain will allow it.

That being said, there are ways of increasing that cap. Depriving your senses, drugs, or better eating tecnique can improve your taste. You should also consider that texture is a big part of what makes food good. Senses do not operate alone.

absolutely.

something can only taste so good.. the difference is consistency in that their food always tastes good, setting, service, presentation, and texture all play a significant role in separating the men from the boys, so to speak.

a good slice of pizza tastes as good as anything i've ever gotten from any michelin starred restaurant. a good cheeseburger? fucking divine.

Hispanics have significantly more taste buds than whites, whitey missing out

Race is a social construct.
There are literally no difference between races and genders.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

Having eaten at some really fancy ass restaurants, I was surprised by how little difference there is in actual taste compared to what other restaurants do. I'd say the difference is in consistency, you're always going to get a great meal at a fancy ass place that's michelin tier or similar.

I can say that last night a bowl of cereal with coconut yogurt and banana that I has was just as high on the flavour ratings as at some of those restaurants though.

what do people like you have to gain from posting such bad bait?

yea man. i'm , i work at a fancy ass restaurant, and the food we strive and intensively labor to make and perfect with crazy technique and expensive ingredients, we REGULARLY compare to fast/junk food.

>dude.. this tastes JUST like a mcgriddle

that's how you know your food is fucking good. when it can stand up to a scientifically engineered flavor profile that cost somebody millions with hundreds of people and thousands of man hours to produce.

a nice, hot mcdondalds cheeseburger is a 10/10 as far as taste goes. it literally doesn't get much better than that as far as balances between fat/umami/texture/acid/salt/sweetness that that cheeseburger provides.

granted, it isn't very itneresting to eat, but to answer the question, yeah.. things can only taste so good. the rest is entirely subjective.

i ordered steak tartare at a fancy/casual gastropub kind of place and it tasted a lot like a big mac
i would order it again

Best answer

>fancy ass
Kek.
Pleb.

You're not me.

If thats the case, then why are we prone to making shitty american-tier food?

.t a hispanic

shit.. sorry

i am objectively regarded as the best/most creative food in my non flyover city.. we just make high quality junk food, m8

This

Veeky Forums is so crap and reddit infested recently I can't tell if this retardation is bait or genuine.

That's because you are dumb

There is a sushi place that I hit up, and I think some of their rolls have hit this barrier. It's so fucking insanely good.

the fact that you taste more of what's in your mouth doesn't mean it tastes better.

there are all kinds of physical limits on how much 'pleasure' you can experience but you could judge a given meal by a bajillion different criteria. a more memorable meal may well beat out one that simply creates the largest immediate pleasure response in your brain.

the subjectivity is enormous. every diner is different both from other diners and themselves from one moment to the next.

if there is a theoretical limit it's probably impossible to get anywhere close seeing as there are so many other limiting factors. you'd have to know everything about the person and the food down to the most granular level of detail in order to hit that limit. or maybe prime them with drugs

highschool level biology tells us that taste has to do with different chemoreceptors. the density of these receptors increases with starvation so you can better seek/more desire foods to some extent. so starve yourself and a plain piece of bread with butter might taste as good as a 3 star meme

>Sure taste is relative and all, but is there a physical limit to how good something can taste.
This is why high end restaurants concern themselves with decor, service, plating and the overall experience of dining there. Because if you're having a great time the food will taste better. It's like when you eat something amazing on vacation. It tastes better because you're in a different environment than usual, you're enjoying yourself AND you're eating something delicious that's different from what you'd normally eat. You experience it more vividly as a result. This is what a great restaurant strives to do - not just serve delicious food, but serve it in a way that heightens your appreciation of it.

Here's an example: Mission Chinese in NYC. The food there is pretty easy to explain. It's riffs on Chinese dishes that mash your taste's happy buttons with generous blasts of fat, salt and spice. There's nothing subtle about it, but it is tasty. Out of context it could almost be seen as a little trashy. But served in a beautiful restaurant with vases of fresh flowers everywhere and attractive young servers attentively taking care of you while the place is packed with beautiful people having a good time sharing these over the top dishes? You walk out thinking those Sichuan chicken wings were the most delicious things you've recently eaten, even though you just paid $16 dollars for them.