What are kitchen things that only retards do?

What are kitchen things that only retards do?

Rinsing the pasta after draining.
Adding oil to the pasta water.
Throwing a noodle at the wall to see if it sticks as a "doneness test".
Turning the oven off and expecting the food inside to "coast up" to the right temperature.
Cooking on an electric stovetop.

Rinsing pasta can be valid if youre using extra starchy shit or if you salted the water too much (or if you just want less salt to stick on the pasta). One time i tried adding spaghettini into a pan of sauce straight out of the pot and it was way way way too starchy and it fucked the whole thing up.

or if you're not cooking it with the sauce right away, better to rinse it in cold water to keep it from overcooking

>Turning the oven off and expecting the food inside to "coast up" to the right temperature.

nothing inherently wrong with this...

The first thing the OP pick made me think of was pasta salad, which you should definitely rinse.

Calling pasta "noodles"

>Adding oil to the pasta water.
what kind of oil? why is it as dumb as throwing food at the wall?

Oil floats to the top of water, never touching the pasta at any time during cooking or draining. Its literally old wivestale-tier. Even my fucking uncle in law from abruzzo does this shit and i cant figure it out.

I saw it in a Gordon Ramsay video

The only benefit is that it helps prevent boilovers, which can also be prevented by watching your food while it cooks instead of walking away for twenty minutes to do fuck-all.

what about a touch of oil after draining

Why?

thats just slippery sketty, bucko! in the corps we'd call that a "hazard" !

idk I saw gordon do it and I'm not good at cooking stuff without guides yet.. he added salt, pepper, and a little olive oil after he drained it

Mix it around after adding the oil, you can't be that dumb.

>doesn't know that oil and water separates while cooking again
>calls other dumb
I can remember telling it to my stupid mother as a kid and that there is no benefit due to simple chemistry.

There is absolutely no reason to add oil while they are cooking. None. Actually thinking about that, it might be a good IQ test.

My thoughts exactly. It's a valid technique with a few dishes. I can think of prime rib for one.

If your pasta sticks together, you're crowding the pot.

Adding oil actually works though, did it not for you?

>Rinsing the pasta after draining
My Asian friend did this, with cold water
I wanted to slap the shit out of him

I've seen lots of people who washes mushrooms

I ususally rinse my pasta because I like it better if it's less starchy. I usually use hot water from the tap.

>Adding oil actually works though, did it not for you?

It's counterproductive because you want the sauce to stick to your pasta. If you oil it all you're doing is creating more problems than you are solving.

If your pasta sticks together in the pot you're either using shit pasta, not enough water, or you're seriously overcooking it. Or some combination of those 3.

because that was literally all pasta was before Americans got a hold of it. Boiled noodles tossed in olive oil or butter with some basil or other herbs

the simple chemistry is oil stops bubbles from forming on top of the water reducing foam from the starch.
it helps prevent boil over

Just use a bigger pot and stir once in a while instead of wasting good oil. FFS I even use a small pot and just let the lid slithly open and it never boils over.

Oil is useless. You would need to use so much that it covers the whole pot opening, which is absolutely wasteful.

>the simple chemistry

Want to know why I know you failed chem class? Because you make up bullshit that isn't real.

Oil floats on top of the water and does nothing other than waste oil.

>source: my ass
Italians have been eating pasta with ragu for centuries.

You failed reading tests I see.

It does but there are ways to prevent that without wasting oil. Just use a bigger pot or turn the heat down a bit, it only needs to be hot enough to keep bubbling, it doesn't need to be on a burner at max heat the whole time.

Placing a wooden spoon over your pot will prevent it from boiling over

Nothing wrong with that, quadruple nigger

Not tomato based Ravi, tomatoes come from the americas

*Ragu*

>Turning the oven off and expecting the food inside to "coast up" to the right temperature.
Unless your "oven" is a microwave though, it will. Also, even if you take your food out of the oven the core temperature will continue to rise. How high depends on how unevenly it was heated, and how well it's cooling from the outside.

Also, see Heston and cooking with residual heat.

If you're not one of those retards who open their oven for 10+ seconds to "check" it's perfectly fine.

Stop opening your ovens, faggots.

>Italian tomato sauce isn't Italian
Nice b8

>he salts his pasta water, wasting a gallon of salt to make an appreciable difference in the pasta's flavor when he could've just sprinkled a fraction of the amount on the cooked pasta for the same effect.

really strains the brain

salting the water isn't for the taste, it's to raise the boiling point so the water gets hotter

>2 pounds of salt is $1
wow god forbid you use two tablespoons for pasta water

What does that have to do with it? Nobody mentioned tomatoes.

Rinsing pasta after draining is fucking great for keeping pasta from clumping up, which is great for cold pasta dishes like pasta salad. Or if you're in the situation where you for whatever reason you don't mix the sauce into the pasta (for instance, my family is picky so I can't always put the sauce into the pasta in case they find it too icky)

What is osmosis?

>my family is picky so I can't always put the sauce into the pasta in case they find it too icky

Burn the house down imo

I always figured that you use a small bit of oil after draining the pasta in order to keep it from sticking in the circumstance you aren't just tossing the sauce onto the pasta, or the pasta into another pan to keep cooking with other ingredients.

>memescience
raising the boiling point by a degree doesn't do shit
it's all about the taste, so the whole pasta is salted rather than just the surface

>I'm smart
The premise was to make the pasta not stick.

>Rinsing the pasta after draining
depends on what you are making, some recipes don't need the extra starch
>Adding oil to the pasta water
this can add a little bit of flavor to the noodles; barely, since it just stays on top. use salt to add more flavor
>Throwing a noodle at the wall to see if it sticks as a "doneness test"
no one does this, unless they are under 16 or as a joke
>Turning the oven off and expecting the food inside to "coast up" to the right temperature
not knowing that this actually works and is recommended on various recipes
>Cooking on an electric stovetop
most renters have no choice and an electric stove top is the only option

as for annoying shit I've seen;
my buddy uses his knives, high quality knives that were gifted to him by a relative, on the counter top without using a cutting board
he says its marble counter top, so its OK to do this

This thread triggered me fucking hard.
This is my experience my whole life
>dipshit mother makes spaghetti every Monday, Thursday and Saturday
>always puts oil in the pot and then leaves it and goes to watch tv
>she would come back and throw pasta at the ceiling
>always rinsed the spaghetti after draining it
She would then microwave the spaghetti and then put the by that point cold sauce on top and she refused to let anyone have olive oil

Fuck man, I can't eat spaghetti now, it was ruined for me.

Interesting, did not know that but I will try without next time

>she would come back and throw pasta at the ceiling
this can't be real

Making threads like this when you have no idea the point of cold bathing cooked noodles.

Mix a tablespoon of olive oil through the pasta after it's been strained to stop it from clumping. It will also give it better flavour.

you only do that if you aren't using a sauce with your pasta
such as only olive oil, chopped parsley, and garlic
unless you want all your sauce to slide off your pasta while you eat it

>Adding oil to the pasta water.

man, last thread this came up in turned into a war zone.

>doesn't know that oil and water separates

When you mix it up, the oil stucks to the noodles. I'm not condoning the practice, but you're an idiot for not figuring this very basic shit out.