Cigarette breaks while dining out

Is it socially acceptable to step outside a dining establishment for a cigarette break? The reason I ask is because I have good friend whom I meet on a weekly basis for dinner. My friend, incidentally, is a smoker. With that being said, whenever we're in the middle of a meal, he usually will crave a cigarette and then step outside, as no restaurants allow smoking inside anymore. Sometimes he'll ask that I join him, as I occasionally smoke cigarettes, but I'm invariably hesitant because I fear the restaurant staff will suspect us to dine and dash. Anyway, is this something to worry about, or am I just being a straightedged faggot?

If your friend can't sit through a dinner without smoking then he is an addict.

This is very true.

I'm on your side, OP. I'd be paranoid as the customer and suspicious as the staff if both of you abandoned your table and went outside.

I forgot to mention my friend has been waiting tables for the last 7 years

Lol wut? It takes no longer than a trip to the bathroom. Unless you're flying solo and you wash your hands I don't see the issue. Take turns if you're in a group setting, problem solved you fucking retard.

Depends really, how long are you sitting for? Maybe if you're taking your time eat so like 45+ minutes.

But personally if there's only two people eating out, going for a cigarette break is a dick move.

How cud u tel

"cigarette breaks" are fedora core

>mfw can still smoke inside every restaurant and bar in the entire country

Thanks Slavland

I need them in family outings. I'll take my fiance out with her family for a "dinner out" for say her moms birthday. I get like 15-20 minutes deep until I need to remove myself and smoke because her family is fucking bonkers.

I smoke, haters gonna hate, but family outings basically demand smoke breaks. Interestingly, when out with friends who are comfortable and well mannered I can eat and drink for hours without even thinking about smoking.

Signs you're a weak-willed faggot:

>need cigarettes
>outings demand smoke breaks

can't you just notify a waiter beforehand?

Leave your phone on or wallet on the table

this

Faggot

I wonder if that will ever turn around here in the US, considering even mainstream rags like Salon have been pointing out that secondhand smoke was a fraud the whole time.

Rude

great way to get your shit stolen

Regardless of the health concerns, it's just unpleasant to be eating your meal and having some dipshit blowing nasty smoke on you

You probably drive a Prius and take it up the ass, faggot.

Insist on asking and paying the check first, and then going out. The friend can wait 5 minutes. The trend should stop if you start to treat his break time as the reason to leave, eventually. Be patient and understanding, just insist no one is getting up and leaving a table that isn't paid. You can do the check alone, or even pick up the check since they departed and have them owe you. Eventually, with passive aggressive annoyance and inconvenience, you'll get more politeness out of this person. No home training as my mother used to say.

I've experienced it and you likely have not, so feel free to shut the fuck up, dipshit.

You're more likely to die by the aids you've contracted than occasionally inhaling a little second smoke, faggot. Fuck off.

How fucking stupid are you?
>it's just unpleasant to be eating your meal and having some dipshit blowing nasty smoke on you>
>unpleasant

Can you not read, you inbred mongoloid?

Smoking between courses was normal until very recently.

It's only unpleasant because you're a beta faggot

This is why I just vape and blow it under the table. Makes everything smell nice too.

Funny thing about nicotine...

It's only acceptable because you're a smoker.
t. former smoker

Not a concern at a decent restaurant. Though i wouldnt leave my phone out on the table at tyrones chicken n waffles

Just inform the waiter on what you're doing and ask if they want to hold onto a card while you're outside (similar to starting a tab at the bar).

smoking is just nasty and discusting, i chaw on skoal and cope but i dont do it during a fugging meal when im eating ok

He can't wait 15 minutes until you guys leave the restaurant?

There is literally nothing wrong with smoking cigarettes.

I've never really heard of someone doing that, however I don't really see a problem with it so long as the person or group you're with knows you're a heavy smoker. if the staff questions it just tell them you went out for a smoke.

A cigarette between courses during a multi-course meal is a luxury to a smoker, particularly if there's alcohol involved. But abandoning your dining companion midway through the meal is also a little rude. So the question becomes are you willing to tolerate a little rudeness on the part of your friend if it increases his appreciation of the meal? If this behavior doesn't make you feel put out or abandonned I'd say let your friend have his smoke - he's enjoying it quite a bit. And if you're still smoking these days you'd better be fucking enjoying it.

thanks for proving my point

Stop associating with stupid poor people.

My friends don't care and, if they do, fuck 'em. Smoke if you want, or don't. Just don't expect others to bend over backwards to suit you, you faggot.

>Regardless of the health concerns, it's just unpleasant
Shut the fuck up and learn to read, you stupid nigger.

are you sure that's how you're supposed to use whom? I think if you say "I have a friend who I meet", you're not supposed to use whom. But if you say "I have a friend WITH whom I meet", then you need to use whom. Can someone please clear it up for me?

Whom refers to the object of a sentence

oh yeah, i made sense of it now.

>then he is an addict.
wow really? please do go on..

Imagine being at a restaurant eating your meal then this fat smelly sweaty basement dweller sits a few meters away from you, for you entire meal you can smell the cheese slowly forming under his armpits and the sweat perfume gently passing by your nose.

That's how it feels when a fucktard smoker with no ethics start smoking in public, glad you guys spend more money than us for literally nothing but being able to die faster.

I actually like the smell of cigarettes/tobacco and restaurants that allow smoking are 200x more comfy than the average place even though I don't smoke.

If you're really worried, talk with the restaurant owner is you go to the same place regularly. They probably trust you by now anyways.

It is a common occurrence, I did this often before I quit, never had any kind of issue with people mistaking my intentions, if they do explain yourself.

it's fine

I bet it sure does make your boyfriend's cock smell good.

I always go outside to smoke a cigarette, I have a beer while I'm waiting for my food and a cigarette is just what I need. Don't be a faggot, smoke some fags.

Who cares if second hand smoke isn't as bad as believed. Shit is gross. Fuck smokers

Just leave some of your belongings at your table, your coats etc.

I guess if you let your server know so they don't clear your table or think you split before paying it's okay. I smoke too but I've never met anyone who can't get through a meal without needing a cig. That's just weird.

I usually go for a smoke after I order, since it takes 15-20 minutes for the food to show up anyways

I have no problem with it if they leave while others have desert. I don't like sweets much and would rather wine and cheese

>Imagine being at a restaurant eating your meal then this fat smelly sweaty basement dweller sits a few meters away from you, for you entire meal you can smell the cheese slowly forming under his armpits and the sweat perfume gently passing by your nose.

I experience this every time I'm eating somewhere and your mom enters the restaurant. Should they make your mom illegal?

Keep deluding yourself my dude, every sane human being does see smokers as that fat sweaty weeb, and that's the kind of conversation we have when you're not around, like "damn, this guy is fine but I wish he didn't reeks of cigs, coffee and piss everytime he comes around"

don't be a pussy and just smoke indoors
if you're with someone blow it right in their fuckin face
show them who's boss

Step out calmly with a cigarette in your mouth and try smoking while being easily visible from inside the restaurant.
If it's still a problem then you live in a shithole.

I had no idea there were 13 states that have no statewide smoking ban.

It's pretty normal.
I tend to smoke when I'm out with friends drinking and getting tapas or whatever, I'll just mention to the waiter we're going outside to smoke.

90% of people smoke in some form or another, so they tend to understand.

90% is a pretty high estimate... I'd be surprised if the real figure was half that.

Hookah, Vaping, Cigarettes, Cigars, Pot.
I think people just associate cigarettes=smoking.
If Dip and Chew are included you can go ahead and throw anyone who has ever played baseball into that.

But when was the last time you met someone that didn't smoke socially?

We just had the every-three-years reunion for my wife's father's side of the family. About 100 people showed up. I saw a single smoker. Of course there were probably more, and it's just anecdotal evidence. I remember thirty years ago everybody smoked. Nowadays it seems like it's trending downward. Yet another change in the world. I'd be interested to see some actual numbers, taking into account dip, vaping, dope, like you suggested.

Tell me more about addiction my dear user.

Yeah, I actually looked it up to see if I could find actual numbers, because it's a purely anecdotal observation from living in a few different countries, and all of them tend to have their own brand of smoking they engage in.

For the states I'd agree heavy smoking has been down, but it's also less seen I think due to the stigma attached. Lots of girls I know will give smokers a weird look in public then try to bum one the second you're outside a bar after a few drinks.

Smoking is something that at least from what I've observed is a pretty deeply rooted social custom is pretty much every culture.

>fiber glass lips
>calling smoking disgusting

They probably won't suspect you if you leave something important like a phone on the table

Now whether your phone will still be there when you get back is something I don't know

That's because smoking starts defining you as an human being and alters your relations to the point when you only hand around with smokers without realizing it you dumb fuck.

You're like a meth addict thinking everyone is like him because his circle of friends also do drugs casually.

How does it feel to have your life being constructed around you to the sole fact that you smoke, regardless of any of other center of interests?

>Is it socially acceptable to step outside a dining establishment for a cigarette break?

Ex-smoker here. No, it's really not. I don't care if you step outside and move 200 yards away from the door, we're still going to smell it when you come back in. It's off-putting.

Face it, smoking is just not okay anymore. Smokers will always be shunned except by other smokers.

>smoking

you might get confused for a waiter you shit piece of trash.

It's hilarious how defensive smokers get in these threads. And it's never refined commentary. It's always "faggot" this, "fuck" that, etc. Just what you'd expect from a smoker. Like cornered animals that know there is no way to defend themselves.

Just quit smoking like the rest of us did. You'll be happier. And smell better.

>I wonder if that will ever turn around here in the US, considering even mainstream rags like Salon have been pointing out that secondhand smoke was a fraud the whole time.
Oh please, it's not fraud. Any flight attendant from the smoking on airplanes era has crap filled lungs. My pilot grandfather had lung cancer and wasn't even a smoker. And, who considers Salon a real magazine? Ever read the bios on those journalists? Yea, I didn't think so. Post some real scientific literature next time. I immediately cough the moment I walk past some person smoking in front of a building. I have asthma. I actually used to love the smell of my grandfather's pipe, which he smoked outside, mind you. I grew up smelling cigar smoke when dining out and people lit up post dinner.

I think what most people don't realize is how much vaping is tearing up lung health. Workers who inhaled fog machine juice in film and nightclubs had horrible lung damage. It's the same juice. And, all this new generation is getting nicotine addicted for the coolness factor.

i usually leave my coat there. but i don't smoke during a normal meal, only at the bar. and they have never bothered me even if i have a tab open

don't got the establishments that allow smoking, faggot

Where did the Camel man touch you user?

I used to be an interrogator for the army; which is where I picked it up due to it being literally the most useful social tool you have. I quit outside of the occasional bummed cigarette once I left, im just pointing out that the vast majority of people at some point in their lives smoke in some form.

>the Camel man
Do you mean... Joe Camel? Or did they phase him out? Admittedly I haven't seen a cigarette ad in decades.