Knife thread, vg10 hate edition

Knife thread:
>What you use
>how is it
>What you want

210mm vg10 hattori fh series gyuto, awesome handle and great sharpness for vg10, bolster is a little sharp and uncomfotable and edge geometry has a real problem with sticktion really similar to the classic shun which is a very common knife.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1-2QBYKI8LU&feature=youtu.be&t=208
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This lil fucker showed up at my door today from Japan. I tested it on slicing some French baguette in half, it was alright. Then I took it to some cantaloupe skin and it just wizzed right through it. So toothy it can dig into my cutting board.

Going to hit the bakery for a full loaf later on. Best budget investment ever.

Why hate on VG10? It seems great for people who don't want to care about maintaining carbon steel.

its kinda in a weird spot now as R2 objectively better and the chinese 9Cr18Mov is just as hard with a decent heat treat for a better price. It used to be a super steel but now its just old news.

Main knife right now is this guy. Absolutely love it. Sharp as fuck while still feeling pretty sturdy, and the handle and ergonomics are awesome. Love the height of the blade too, I've got pretty big hands and I find that with a lot of knives my knuckles hit the board.

Also use a Masakage Koishi AS ko-bunka and a Fujiwara W#1 gyuto of a smaller size. Looking at getting a suji next, the slicer I have now is pretty meh.

Better picture of the blade. My photography skills are not great.

>mfw I keep a shitty folding razor in my back pocket at work for opening packages and cutting tape for labels

>What you use
pic related

I'm still a newb and got gifted a fairly beat up pair these. I think they might just be el cheapo but after sharpening on one of those diamond 3 slot things they do seem to glide a whole lot nicer than my other supermarket knives. Everything became pleasurable to cut. Is it worth upgrading again?

What is it? Is it pattern welded or is that just the camera?
yeah, next step up would be a victorinox chef knife.

The cladding on that is actually proper handmade damascus, ie multiple pieces of metal folded/twisted together hot and hammered into a billet. Made of iron from an old ship hull actually.

It'll be cool to see how it looks in a year or two, it'll develop a great patina and that pattern should stand out more and more as the different parts oxidize at different rates and to slightly different tones. I do like that the pattern is subtle though- it's not gaudy or super bold like a lot of damascus is.

disgusting ergonomics

its wood at least can sand it down if u want

man i love forged in fire too

IT WILL KEEL LOL

I reckon you should try etching it in acid. What metal is the core?

I was thinking of buying this but I don't really like damascus, the handle and the core are nice though.

Is the $40 Victorinox Fibrox still a good deal?

Where's the most cheap/best place to buy a higo knife?

Pic related is just higo inspo

That knife comes in a bunch of different damascus patterns. Look around, there might be one you like better.

The core of my knife is Aogami Super. As far as etching with acid though, I'd prefer to build the patina naturally. It's a visual representation of the work you do with that knife and the effort you put in to maintaining it. Call it sentimental bullshit but that's my feeling on it.

>9Cr18Mov
That is basically the midpoint between 440B and 440C

>Looks up R2
That Vanadium and Molybdenum content

SGII masterrace

does this have a locking system? If not this looks incredibly unsafe

bitchy looking handle

Nope, those don't have locking systems. They're small pocketknives.

what would be unsafe about it?

They're fairly firm in most cases, you really have to press on the thumb holder to move it around. With that said I played around with a bunch of them and some were loose and the blade was able to just flip out like a switchblade :|

Anyway, found a really good ebay seller that's a bit more pricey than the cheapest ones on ebay but looks worth it :)

its a great knife, just get one of decent length.

sg2 = r2 right?

Super Gold II, its a powdered metal made by Mitsubishi

I've got a 210mm tojiro DP gyuto. Works for me but I don't have a whole lot of experience with knives to compare it against.

It's actually super comfortable, I prefer the oval shape over octagonal for sure. Chestnut with a pakka collar, so good materials, nice and smoth. The tang is stainless too, so it can't rust inside if for some reason I royally fuck up and get water in there.

I definitely have zero complaints, it feels great to me, the proportions are exactly what I want, and it cuts super well and holds an edge super well.

I tried one of those when a friend at work got one. They're really nice knives but the handles are on the large side, it'd be really worth it to actually try one out before you buy it if you can to see if you like the feel of it.

The funny thing is it was never really all that amazing, it's just that when the first VG10 knives came out the only stainless cooking knives just about anyone was aware of were garbage. You have to remember this was when X50CrMoV15 still was considered a premium knife steel so when people first laid their hands on Shuns or Globals, the performance knocked everyone's socks off. Then we started to take it for granted and people began to discuss the idiosyncrasies, which for the uninformed is the "chipping" non-issue, and for the informed is the clingy burrs and poor feedback on stones.

We laugh now but the 90s were different times. If the first widely available "good" stainless knives with effective marketing had been made of 440C or AEB-L, both of which have been around since the dinosaurs roamed the earth, then 90% of entry level "quality" knives would be one of those now, and knife hipsters would bitch and moan about those and for all we know they'd be gossiping like little girls about the obscure VG-10 that you've probably never heard of.

>decent length.

8 inch?

why did you glue chair legs to those steak knives?

Literally all you need is a Wusthof chef knife. Get out of here with your overpriced weeb shit.

>58 Rockwell
>$80

No.

You might as well get an Ikea knife.

Can we talk about Almazan Kitchen's knife? They started selling it for 250 euros and people think it's some kind of special Serbian chef's knife that you can only get through them.

In fact it's a very common type of Chinese cleaver (and the Almazan are selling are made in China too). You see street vendors using them all the time. You can see 4 of them (and 3 or 4 similar ones but with curved blades) in the opening scene of Eat Drink Man Woman: youtube.com/watch?v=1-2QBYKI8LU&feature=youtu.be&t=208

If cutting boards are a necessity and not just a convenience, your knives are too dull.

(You)
I've never heard of "Almazan Kitchen", I googled it and I think I know what the problem is. The problem is YouTube. You watch too much of it.

Got an 8" Shun Kanso earlier this week. It's my first actual buy, and I've been enjoying it so far. The handle is a little fat, but you don't notice it as much with a pinch grip.

>fucking up your blade's edge by cutting on a harder surface
enjoy sharpening a fuckton my dude

You don't need a surface if you're are knives our properly sharp.

my point is that your knife won't be sharp for long since cutting over a harder surface will dull your knife faster than the softer surface a cutting board will provide.

My point is a knife is way too dull, like your mom's, if you couldn't cope with not having any surface at all to cut against, not that you should actually do it. If you're floating in microgravity with just your knife and ingredients, you should be able to cut them, just much slower. A good test it whether it bites into a thumbnail or slips right off.

You're stupid