"session beer"

>"session beer"
Is there a dumber fucking term?

Yes, Saison.

>a beer that has a relatively low alcohol content and is therefore suitable for drinking over an extended period.

so it's a Small Beer. This is what used to be called 'small beer'. Though Small Beer actually had even lower alc content.

If your definition of dumb is "sells the living fuck out of beer", then yeah, it's probably the dumbest term of all.

Shame on people using something like beer to make money and pay bills with

Anything french said by an anglophone

No it isn't... a small beer has fuck all for alcohol. Session beers are in the 4%-6% range typically and have basic pleasing flavour profiles. Pilsners, simple ales etc

>this many logical fallacies in one post

Fucking hell

>drinking beer for the flavour

it just means an easily drinkable beer with minimal flavour profile you fucking autist

most people don't want to get smashed off of IPAs

I'm ok with the term "session beer" but "session IPA" is where I draw the line.

>all those great, overpowering hops
>none of that pesky alcohol to fog your brain and stop you from being sharp to enjoy those hops

>points out presence of logical fallacies
>doesn't name one

Nice rhetorical fallacy.

This. There are 2 or 3 english words that would've worked just as well but you just had to come up with "ennui" you cringy pennsylvanian fat fuck.

>most people don't want to get smashed off of IPAs
Speak for yourself

thats why i like ipas tbhf

>being a teenager on Veeky Forums

>Session beers are in the 4%-6%
no if americans are calling them that they are retarded
>all those great, overpowering hops
>denaturing beer

Fiscal conservative.

Sessionable IPA. Or an IPA in general. I try a lot of beers in my line of work and honestly I like maybe 1 out of every 10 IPAs I try. It's a bummer because thats all anyone brews here.

>it's a bummer because thats all anyone brews here.

This is one category where flyovers are stomping the shit out of the coasts. Taking Memphis, Kansas City and St.Louis as examples, there are a lot of breweries that have moved on to Alts, Kolschs, Belgians, Saissons, Sours, Dunkels, Bocks, and many others. Sure, every brewery has 1 or 2 IPA's for the kids just getting into it and they are over represented on store shelves because muh big distributors but flyoverland is the vanguard for the microbrew scene.

I had to fucking google this

Fuck off democrat.

In a country where Bud Light is the best selling beer it makes sense to offer an upmarket alternative. But the very idea of light beer is anathema to people who buy upmarket beer. So they needed another word for it. It's not that hard to understand.

Session beers and light beers are not even close to the same thing though.

Is Smithwicks a session beer? Because that's what I like when I'm going to be drinking a lot of the same beer all day.

They serve a similar purpose - beer with slightly less alcohol for people of a mind to drink beer all day without becoming sloppy drunk.

>no if americans are calling them that they are retarded
Why can't Americans make beer?

I travel all over America and their beer is just absolutely terrible. I was just in Florida and all their local shit tasted like fruit. Someone another trip recommended this PC Pils stuff, and that shit isn't a Pilsner, it had all kinds of hops in it. Garbage.

The cringiest part is they think they are really good at it and have this whole "beer culture" when you can't even drink their shit it is so bad.

they throw a bunch of hops in everything, to the point where it tastes like shit.

sort of like how you can't even eat the bread there because it is so sweet, they do the same thing with bitter flavors because their taste buds are destroyed from over indulgence.

>Is there a dumber fucking term?

Yes. "sips".

Oh look, another thread full of asshurt yuropoors screaming about Americans
>I had a beer I didn't like so all American beer is shit
Good post guys, keep it up

>they throw a bunch of hops in everything, to the point where it tastes like shit.
This is a problem that dates back to the start of the American craft beer thing. Before craft beer all American beer was flavored with hop oil, because it was cheaper than using actual hops. Craft beer fans distinguished the good beer from the bad by being able to taste that actual hops were used to brew it instead of just hop oil. Then in a typically American "more is better" kind of mentality a strong hop taste came to be associated with a more expensive beer, and thus a better one. Consumers came to expect that if they shelled out for a good beer it would taste strongly of hops, and IPAs came to dominate the market.

Woah there with your projection rodeo, you nationalista. I doubt yurop or even canada get a taste of most of our micros, considering some regions of our own country don't even get each ohthers'. Hell, nobody outside of Wisconsin gets our sweet, sweet New Glarus brews.

I understand Americans have to have flavor explosions in order to be satisfied, hence their gluttony, diabetes and fatness, but why even make your pilsners so bitter? Why not just call it a pale ale like it is? Most of the pilsners I tried in America weren't actually pilsners. Whenever you see an American microbrew labelled pilsner, chances are it will be a pale ale.

If I want a an American pilsner similar to a standard german pilsner, what microbrew do I go to? Not a trick question either, legit curious since I have to be here so often now.

>he fell for the American microbrew meme
just don't. order an import when you are there.

Like I said, depends where you are in the country. Sprecher makes a pretty good pils. Also (not american) Pilsner Urquell is good and usually available.

Yeah I think I've come to that conclusion. I'm just so disappointed since they blather about beer more than anyone so figured they'd have some amazing ones.

I'll look for Sprecher, thanks.

>user asks for a good american pils
>can only come up with one, then lists a czech pils

I don't usually drink pils, and can affirm that two other brands in my area are trash (lieninkugel, milwaukee brewing company) and the others are mediocre at best (new glarus, lakefront brewery new grist).

Now that I think about it, lakefron'ts klisch is a good czech style pilsner, and el wisco a good mexican style lager. Can't tell you much about german pils because I don't know many good ones in my area.

Now farmhouse ales, stouts, IPAs, or lagers, I could give you a few pointers.

That guy isn't me. Sure, what farmhouse or lager do you recommend?

Just rattling off good WI beers, New Glarus has Spotted Cow farmhouse ale, Moon Man no coast pale ale, and their belgium red that has over a pound of Door County cherries in the bottle (technically a beer, but more akin to a liqueur). Nothing I've tasted from Sprecher has ever been bad, their special amber or bavarian blacks are great. Lakefront brewery has the aforementioned, but also East Side Dark. Potosi has a few like Old Potosi trying to knock Spotted Cow for the top ale, or fiddler oatmeal stout. Point is usually somewhat mediocre, but their Nude Beach is a a well made lager.

Just off the top of my head. God I love build-your-own six packs, especially when they're pushing out new seasonals, in this state.

By the way, this answer is completely useless if you're not in WI or the midwest. That's how varied the distribution networks are (and people not wanting to pay out of state taxes). Going to Vegas was hell, because it didn't have any beer of their own, so had to settle for Yuengling lager.

Thanks. I'm sometimes in that area. I took a screencap for reference.

While you're in the area, if you can get some Minnesota brews, I'd suggest Lift Bridge's Farm Girl farmhouse, Indeed's B-Side Pils, Castle Danger's cream ale, and Bauhaus' Wagon Party lager

They are absolutely close to the same thing, because they are the same thing.

Thank you

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I'd argue that things called session beers aim to actually have some sort of flavor beyond the watery mess that macro light brews wind up being. And really, most breweries are mixing up "session" with the adjective "sessionable." A proper session/light beer is probably 4% abv max, whereas most sessionable stuff from breweries are between 4 and 5 percent. American breweries are pretty bad at making anything lower than that, and even good ones in that range are rare

Lagers are the dominant style of mass produced beer in the US. Overhopped pale ales are the main craft beers. So most US craft beer is made in that image.

Why the hate? It makes sense to me. It just means a beer that you can drink a sixer of easily, as opposed to some ridiculous IPA or stout that you only want one or two of before you're done. I really don't understand what you're on about.

Why?

And where are you from that has such a patrician brewing culture, friendo?

>flavour

get off the site faggot

>tfw raging alcoholic
>literally every beer is a session beer
>drink awful 10% abv IPAs all night long because, well, they're 10%

>choking down domestic pisswater instead of buying a handle of cheap vodka and your favorite mixer when you want to get tipsy
topwew

>not drinking beer for the flavour

If you're that pragmatic about your alcohol intake you shouldn't drink anything other than neat vodka.

>fuck up food culture
>fuck up beer culture
>fuck up cannabis culture

What will Americans ruin next?

>since I have to be here so often now.

>whining about the greatest country on planet earth
>can't make money without doing business with us
really makes you go HMMMMMMMMMM

You could always go with Trumer Pils. It originated from an Austrian brewery, but they have one in California now. It's quite light if that's what you're looking for and widely available.

>florida
>representative of the entire united states
That's like saying all europeans are slavs because you visited estonia

White culture

Could be far far worse
Could be "light beer".

>pleb that doesn't like five hour talks about roads detectdd

anything to do with beer culture is fucking dumb

box wine is cheaper per unit of alcohpl

this dog is so fucking smug that he's going in my costanza folder instead of my dogs folder

Historical: Prohibition killed the craft, it wasn't until after Carter got in office and threw a bone to his brother/cousin? that little guys could come up against the macro breweries. If Europe wasn't better with it's mostly uninterrupted craft then there would be a problem.