Does this affect the quality of burger?

does this affect the quality of burger?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-burger-lab-smashed-burgers-vs-smashing-burgers.html
seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no, that's to keep it in place on the grill

well sort of. it effects the style of the burger. typically those are used either for or to make really flat burgers, like steak n shake style and what not.

I worked my first day at a restaurant today and they were putting it on every burger to make it cook faster, I was figuring they were sacrificing quality for tickets being a minute faster

No, it serves a different purpose which is to create a completely different burger. Flat ones get more caramelization and simply have more of the cooked meat flavor than a fat burger does, even though a fat one is juicer etc. As a byproduct, they also cook very fast making them very appealing to a restaraunt to serve

I see

>caramelization

you putting sugar in your beef?

>he doesnt honey baste his burgers

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction read a book nigga

I use it to make smashburgers.

Hating honey-basted burgers is like hating freedom, commie scum.

Reading is for children and lonely women. Real men just look at the pictures.

Are you fucking stupid?

without it, you burgers would fly off randomly left and right

>this gal removes the sugar when she buys her meat

I thought pressing a burger patty squeezed most of the juices out of it.

yeah and that isn't caramelization you fucking retard

>caramelization
A little, but it's more maillard.

Some people call them "steak weights" but they are not heavy at all. The idea is to keep them on your grill or flat top getting nice and hot. Then when you put the piece of flesh down you can use it's heat on the top side of the flesh, giving it a sear. It's not meant to push the down on the cook surface with a lot of pressure.
Really, it's nice to use on bacon and burgers on a flat top.
I have, in my day, seen heavy ones that will push the flesh down. I haven't seen one of those in use since the early 90s though. I'm sure someone uses them still.
Again, the one pictured is supposed to be used in a way like a panino press, or a George Foreman grill.
It's not an evil device.

you do it once right at the very beginning while it's still raw
make your burger into a meat ball, as soon as it hits the grill you smash it down flat. So you end up with a flat burger with a crispy outside and you don't lose juice because the liquid was still solid while it was getting smashed

>the liquid was still solid
wut?
Solid water is called ice.
Liquid water is called water.
Gaseous water is called steam.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

its not like the juices are going anywhere unless youre using a real grill

Read this
aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-burger-lab-smashed-burgers-vs-smashing-burgers.html
And this
seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html

>he probably hasn't marinated his burgers in simple syrup before grilling haha

Fucking grill virgins man

I don't need to follow the links to know what the gist is. It's

Jesus Chr*st, you have got to be American. Why don't you take your own advice?

>you have got to be American.
It should be a battle cry!
You have GOT to be American!
You wanna follow up with anything?

You can use that garbage, or you can make a regular smashburger with a piece of parchment paper and a spatula. Crush the fucking thing to 1/4" and place it face down in the hot pan. Peel off the parchment and flip it after a few minutes, put the cheese on. It'd done in absolutely no time and you don't need a laundry iron to make it.

>with a piece of parchment paper and a spatula
Lol, okay. Fag. No.

so you don't cook much then,

OH MY RUBBER NEN