Dry foods

So i'm looking to dry all the food. Not necessarily beef jerky but all the Other meat.
The goal is to make my own trekking food. Mushrooms, fruit shouldn't be a Problem but i would like your experiences about the topic. Maybe anyone has ever tried cooking dry meat up again?
It's just important to get the meat to last longer.

Also ITT: preparing food for outdoor activities

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JmCdWe6sGnI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just eat a big mac you'll be fine

What if you're living in a country where they don't build a mc Donalds in the woods? I've heard they don't go Bad for a long time but i rather have something i can Quickly Cook up with water

cooking with dry meat isn't hard. I rehydrate it in broth for a few hours before cooking them, and usually use it in soup since the texture gets affected by drying.

Alright thanks for the Tip. I guess real tracking food isn't dried but rather Stock frosted?!

tracking food?
trekking food?

dry supplies are your best bet if you are going on long hikes. what do you mean with stock frosted?

pemmican Is pretty awesome

Holy... Should have read twice. German autocorrect is what i like to blame here..
But yeah trekking food and shock frosted.. But i just realized that doesn't make me seem less dumb as it wouldn't stay frozen magically..
Basically i want to make meals in Bags that just Need boiling water

Will look that up in a minute

youtu.be/JmCdWe6sGnI

Freezedrying you mean?
Freezedryers are very expensive, as in thousands of dollars.

Drying normally can be rehydrated easily, but making complete meals and drying them is harder. You can reduce soup until powder and then rehydrate it later, and if you add dried vegetables and meat to it, then it could work pretty well. I would still recommend cooking it a bit.

If easy is what you're looking for my advice is to bring foods that don't need preparation. Dried fruits, muesli, jerky, etc. Things that can be eaten as is, or eaten cold.

pemmican is dried meat mixed with lard and dried fruits/berries. It is very calorie dense if that's a concern. Bringing trail mix is a more palatable alternative in the high calorie category.

one time i put mushrooms and flowers (separately) in paper bags in the fridge, they were both completely dried out after about a week. i dont know how tasty they were as they were just mushrooms id found outside but i think maybe the paper bag sucked up all the moisture?

Totally drying food means that you are using the water you find out in the world to reconstitute it, and that's just going to save your back some weight, right? Or not, if you're carrying it separately. If you want dried foods for enjoyment, just do the usual, dried fruits, dried jerky (but it's salty and therefore requires more water from you), and some cereal mixes that fiber up and add some carbs to the otherwise nuts and fruits boredom, like some granola dried into clumbs. Bars from peanut butter, coconut, dates, etc can be dense foods, just not totally dry.

I have the tray kind of dehydrator. It contains about 5 trays, which isn't much for fruit, but I try to do 2 or 3 fruits at the same time. A full day of dehydrating will net you about 1/4cup of fruit. I own this machine because I have a starfruit in my hard, and dehydrated starfruit is the best candy in the world. I also dry lime rinds, and grate it further for chile-lime flavors, like on popcorn or nuts. Dried bananas that are about to be too sweet get very good dried. It becomes like bananas and cream flavor. I use my dried fruits in muffins to cook with, or in quick breads.

This is pretty neat, thanks

Yes basically want to prepare full meals..
Dried fruits for muesli will be a thing too yes but for dinner i want something with meat.. The soup idea is really great.. Will probably just try myself out there with different meat.

I thought freezing wouldn't be an Option since i want to carry them with me on weeklong Trips..

Am planning on getting one of these things too. Everything Not meat seems to be fairly easy Done because you just throw them in but i was wondering if you would prepare the meat. Curious to See how jerky will taste when you rehydrate it

Oh and also i have a water Filter so the goal is to be able to get a full meals going only by getting water from Nature.
It would mean you don't have to clean out the pot every time because you're only using it to boil water. The meat would be prepared in a Plastic bag capable of Holding hot water

The ultimate survuval food!

>Curious to See how jerky will taste when you rehydrate it
Ever had chipped beef on toast? Buy stouffers if you have not ever tried it.

breakfast biscuits are pretty good (not really a source of protein), so are nuts.

Why are you capitalizing random words?

I looked that up but i guess we only have similar pre cooked food. I'm ordering a dehydrater over the weekend and just test the hell out of it. Thinking about chilli. Maybe something with noodles and fruits for a snack. Not sure how long these threads remain here but will Post pics if i make it in time.

Hidden code

has to be German. 6 years of class made me capitalize things I never would have otherwise. In the German language, every noun is capitalized

>Has to be German. 6 years of Class made me capitalize Things I never would have otherwise. In the German Language, every Noun is capitalised.

Du klingst wie ne Schwuchtel, R*ddit-Abschaum.
Ahmed´s Sperma is übrigens sehr gut haltbar, sollte dir eigentlich vom Nährgehalt zum Wandern reichen, Hurensohn.

choclet