How difficult is it to emulate New York Style pizza outside of New York?

how difficult is it to emulate New York Style pizza outside of New York?

are there certain ingredients and kitchen equipment only available in New York that explain why it's so difficult to get quality New York Style pizza outside of New York?

It's not difficult at all. I've been to various places all over the US that have done the same style.

>>so difficult to get quality New York Style pizza outside of New York?
Different locales have different preferred styles. Who'd have thought? Anyway, it's not too hard to find, just try a variety of mom-n-pop places and I'm sure you'll find it.

I don't get the whole " Style Pizza"

I can't tell the difference between Chicago and NY 99% of the time except that NY sometimes has thicker crust and more sauce...

Literally what the fuck are you talking about. This is what a chicago pizza looks like.

I understand the differences between New York and Chicago style pizza, but can someone tell me what the hell a Boston style pizza is?

That's just the name of the restaurant but good job.

There is nothing meaningful behind the insert name of city pizzas. There is New York style pizza which is the most popular and emulated style by everyone else and then there is "italian" styled "artisan" pizzas which are basically just rustic attempts at pizza.

Chicago pizza isn't pizza, it's a lasagna pie but Chicago is too inbred and retarded to see that.

>Chicago pizza isn't pizza, it's a lasagna pie but without lasagna noodles. And it has a bread crust. And it doesn't have repeating layers like lasagna, just a single layer of cheese, topping, and a layer of sauce
>Yep, Chicago style pizza is just like lasagna pie
Attaboy user

The water. I'm not going to write down a paragraph for you explaining why but you should get someone to send you bottled nyc tap water.

new york is easy to do. just big and floppy

neapolitan is very difficult to emulate

Fuck sakes, I really want to try a proper Chicago style but I always get so turned off by the look of the fucking curdled tomato bisque that's dumped on top

Pizza is from Naples and defined by it's thin crust. A Chicago cheese pie is all together something else and not pizza at all. A lasagna "pie" wouldn't need to have pasta in it anyway as it is now a pie ergo you take out the pasta and replace that main ingredient with the crust. Before your stupid ass mentions anything else, think before you post.

So it's like an Italian quiche but not kosher?

This.

I suppose. It's more like a quiche that's for sure.

Pizza is my favorite food in the world. I've had pizza in Times Square, Chicago, Boston, NJ, PA, CA, TX, CT, FL, MI, OH, IA, Amsterdam, and Germany. I felt that Chicago pizza was... average on a good day. It's just not as good as the East Coast or West Coast style. (East coast is sometimes a bit greasier than West.) You're not missing out on much if you never have it. Just my 2 cents, take it for what you will.

>get cheapest shittiest everything you can find
>make it the thinnest cheapest pizza you possibly can
>throw it in the oven for as short a time as possible
>sell a slice for ten bucks
No not really hard at all

>two legitimate responses to bait

you are a good baitsman

this has been put to bed already
in a double blind tasting, identical pizzas made by the same person, at the same time, in the same oven but with the only variable being water from different cities, the New york pizza unanimously tasted the best.

it isn't a meme, the water just has a perfect ph and mineral content for making bread

Chicago pizza sucks. You're not missing anything.

Yuck, more like get someone to send you bottled upstate new york water. You can get lead, chemicals and shit infected water in any city proper spring and lake water is king

Not a New Yorker, but I have a lotta family up there and I play golf with this guy who is a self-titled "pizza connoisseur". Told me the same thing years ago. There is this New York style pizza joint around where we live and they literally ship in the water from up north for it. The water means everything supposedly.

Source?

Detroit-style pizza is the superior civic pizza.

i don't see what peoples problem with this is.

look like a tasty 'za.

New York pizza is a myth, there's some damn good pizza in NYC but it's not life changing like New Yorkers would have you believe

there is none, he's memeing

Where can you even get a pizza like this outside of Chicago?

It's a solid block of tomato and cheese with some bread handles and it's great

There are several different kinds of "new york style pizza" and NY style pizza isn't necessarily good, only when it's done right

The reason it's unusual to find it outside of NY is that NY pizza is minimalistic by american standards. Crust, sauce, cheese, that's it. Not even basil like in your image.

The baseline assumption is you're working with good quality ingredients

Flyover land doesn't know what quality is, they think "quality" means picking a non-generic brand. Everything tastes like cardboard and ass in flyover country so you need to load up pizza with as much shitty gnarly garbage as possible for it to even not taste like cardboard

Obviously if you make NY pizza with these kinds of ingredients it will turn out tasting like shit. For a great example of this try the dollar slices that have popped up like cockroaches near the major B&T entry points (penn station, etc)

The secret is put Olive oil on the dough before the sauce.

Source: I work at a ny style pizza place in maine

don't most pizza chains do new york style

Just had 'go 'za for the first time my friends and let me tell you:
That sweet sugary Wonderbread® Crust combined with salty Kraft® cheese singles and lashings of ketchup really hits the spot!
Try some flyover pie today!

>There are several different kinds of "new york style pizza" and NY style pizza isn't necessarily good, only when it's done right
This. There are at least a dozen styles of pizza found in NYC. And the dominant style - the cheap, thin, floppy slice joint slice - isn't all that. Yeah, it's better than chain pizza, but that ain't saying much. The really good pizza in NYC tends to come from two sources: old guard neighborhood joints focused on a specific style (coal oven, square pie, bar pie, weird hybrids like DiFara, etc) or high end places with wood fired brick ovens (Motorino, Marta, Roberta's).

Sure, the slice you get at Stromboli after bar hopping is delicious, and that's what the rest of the country is emulating when it describes pizza as NY style. It's certainly better than anything you can get from a chain. But it's far from what a New Yorker would consider the best of New York pizza.

use $3 worth of ingredients and burn the other $30 in your wood fired oven.

It will be just like NY pizza if you can get the oven hot enough.

Just have a bunch of people around you shouting things like "I'm walkin' here!" while you eat long slices of pizza.