Books on cooking

What are some books like The Food Lab by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazingribs.com/
salon.com/2014/11/25/i_hate_cooks_illustrated_the_soul_crushing_wonkiness_of_the_worlds_worst_cookbook/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This one is pretty good :^)

Philosophy class had us read a bit of this. Was interesting and not surprised to learn that cooking is filled with false information and chefs being unwilling to learn better ways to do things because of "muh tradition". It"s also how I learned to understand the fundamentals of a recipe.
>learn why this recipe is the way it is
>know what needs to happen to make it work
>if it doesn't work, revisit preious steps and try again
>alter to taste or experiment

this text is sacred

mcgeehu akbar

the recipes themselves are an education but there's also several essays in the back about food science that's still current

if you don't listen to the podcast cooking issues you are a pleb

eccentric book but some good recipes

same guys

haven't read the book but the site amazingribs.com/ is great, lots of mythbusting type stuff from a likeable dude

A must-have for every co/ck/sucker's collection.

last rec for now and obligatory

...or if you don't have half a grand lying around

the author of those books eat at my restaurant semi-regularly..

feels good, man. their test kitchen is siiiick

Have you actually read/used this?
Seems more like sciency wank than an actually useful book.

i'm but yeah man.. it's autismo level information and compilation of knowledge.

i wouldn't shell out the dough to buy the set, but if i could i would.

Why not just download it?
That's what I did and luckily I did since I didn't feel inspired by it at all.

yes. have you?

it's completely filled to the brim with information. from the 'sciency' stuff through fundamentals of prep, knife skills, more artistic aspects like composition of a dish and stuff.

i can't imagine you've even flicked through it if you think it's 'wank'. now sure, it's produced to an unnecessarily high quality, but the actual information in it is golden.

it is what it is, and i like having physical copies of cookbooks.

it is what it is. it's cold calculated information.. it makes a great reference. the dude who started modernist cuisine is a retired microsoft millionaire literal assburger. nice dude but you can tell from his book and from meeting/interacting w him personally that he is autism

Step aside plebs

I found the information to be of little practical value in everyday cooking, especially compared to books like The Flavor Bible.

Cooking in Russia volumes 2 and 3. Goes into some topics no one else goes to and they're less than $15 each. Despite the name it's not based on Russian cuisine

This book is shilled on cooking forums. I own it and personally think it's kind of regurgitated from a bunch of other sources. Kenji is an annoying writer too. He's like the proto-nu-male.

What restaurant pls?

Just got this. Pretty good so far.

idk why I replied to you

Vegitarian but good.

Aye

one in seattle

He majored in architecture. I'm not sure why that makes him think he's a scientist.

He never at any point has claimed to be a scientist.

kenji blocked me on twitter

what the fuck does a cookery book have to do with philhisosphy?

>What are some books like The Food Lab by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt?
Someone is ghost writing/fact checking for this dude. His website and columns ARE HORRIBLE PSUEDO SCIENCe and have always been crap. The average IQ person, most basic cook might not see it as anything but just a nice helpful guy, but he's lifehacking his way through recipes as bad as Cooks Illustrated, first doing stupid shit, and then trying to explain why they bastardize a recipe and make it their own, but keep the original title of it.
This guy gets it:
salon.com/2014/11/25/i_hate_cooks_illustrated_the_soul_crushing_wonkiness_of_the_worlds_worst_cookbook/

Kenji is a modern day anal retentive chef trying to hack out a living with a website. He did it. But, his writing is crap and he's not a scientist and touts his conclusions as such, and I'm not a scientist either, but I have a science degree and I see his errors far too often.

Not explicitly but you and him are both fags