Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: COLD MAIN DISH MEGA ALPHA EDITION THREAD 2!

Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: COLD MAIN DISH MEGA ALPHA EDITION THREAD 2!

>GET CHILLY MAH NIGGAS

That's right: COLD MAIN DISH.
What does that mean? Well, if you can't figure this shit out you should probably stay away from the knives.

Dishes will be scored on the following areas, so keep that in mind.

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in appeal.

Remember people, timestamp and unique identifiers. Stop forgetting damn you.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/17/oscars-wine-bar-lancaster-gaby-scanlon-stomach-liquid-nitrogen
youtube.com/watch?v=gY5kKn24qvs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do we jerk each other off after?

Well, no.
Feel free to jerk yourself off after, or even during.
The sky's the limit!

Sup, new thread?

>Step 7
We're making bread!

Yeast, flour, water, olive oil and sugar.

>Step 8

Let the mixer do all the work for you! Hard work is for pussies.

>Step 8

While you're waiting for that boy to double in size (if you know what I mean), collect a bunch of cold soup vegetables.

Cucumber, tomatoes, spring onion, some red peppers, a chili and a whole bulb of garlic. And whatever else is lying at the back of your fridge.

>Step 9

Blend them together with a tin of tomatoes, some vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar and olive oil.

Halfway through, add more tomatoes and pepper in a panic because the colour looks like a banana smoothie that's been left out too long.

>Step 9

Chuck it in the fridge - the longer it stays there, the better the flavor.

Meanwhile, our dough is ready to go.

>Step 11

Unfortunately, the technique for rolling these is 2-handed. You hold a piece of dough between your palms, then roll it back and forth, letting it poo out of the bottom of your hands. Breadsticks inbound!

You can season these, too, if you want. Or maybe add sesame seeds. I'm limited by the contents of someone else's cupboard.

Here's my entry. Retarded plating, but sometimes you have to go big to win big.

> Spicy chili-cucumber ice lollies with garlicky "gazpatcho-ish" with a penis-shaped bread stick for decoration.

Coldest entry yet.

(Quantity over quality)

My one regret is that I ended up making Corizo last weekend and it would've been an interesting entry had I a)taken pictures and b) not already entered

this looks fucking awful

like seriously looks like it belongs with those food gore "worst thanksgiving ever" pictures with all the old guys having a pot luck in a barn

Eleventh Entry Ahoy!
Thanks.

Yes, I think you're right.

i wish this webm had sound. XD

Why wouldnt you just use a standing blender or food processor?

I don't have one - I broke it trying to blend ice, and realised I was too retarded to spend big money on gadgets. If I explode the shitty hand blender, it hardly matters.

Remind me again, when's the cutoff for entries? I have an idea but might not be able to execute until Sunday.

Voting starts on the 25th, so Monday is the last day for entries.
You can do this, I believe in you!
>in that I believe you exist, probably

How'd it taste?
Spicy?

Senpai pls notice me 0^0

Lol WTF. I don't really follow these threads, are entries always so....
I don't even know the word I'm looking for

Delicious?
Is that the word you're looking for?

The soup tasted quite fresh, with heat from the garlic, and the ice lollies were sweet and very hot. It was nice to have a contrast between temperature and taste in the ice. I only wish they were more solid - they melted too quickly, even though the soup was cold.

Overall, the two went very well together, and the plating got a laugh, too. At least the ice lollies are going into my regular repertoire

Noice.
The frozen tongue tantalizers do look refreshing.

wow this looks so bad

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
>disintegration as well

It's OK, I'll still beat you on challenge goals unless you invent a meal served at -20

theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/17/oscars-wine-bar-lancaster-gaby-scanlon-stomach-liquid-nitrogen

Getting ready to start my dish for the challenge: Ratatouille. I will be posting pics as I go along, just no trip code since I will be phone posting. Also, images might be Australian style (upside down) because my phone is retarded. I will post with the tripcode for my final presentation picture to be used in the challenge.

Holy shit, this is retarded

Everything laid out and it's time to start.

Eggplant is "soaking"

>pre-minced garlic botulism
>green peppers
>non-Eden red wine vinegar

The rest of the veggies

Yeah I am a grad student and it's cheaper in terms of time and cost to buy preminced garlic. As for the red wine vinegar, it was $5 cheaper. I can live poor now for a better future now, or live better now for a poorer future tomorrow.

Onions cooking and just added the garlic

i use garlic cloves/a garlic press for special occasions, but for everyday cooking, i just go with the minced garlic in a jar.

Bell peppers in now

Not him, but I've a pair of questions: how much does the jar of preminced garlic cost? And how much does it weight?
I ask cuz the average head of garlic, with inedible bits removed, weighs 60g, which is a little over 2oz. Where I live, they're sold loose for 50¢ each or five heads for $1 at most Asian supermarkets. Aldi also sells them. There, 89¢ nets you three heads. So going with Aldi's price, that's $2.25/lb for fresh garlic and the Asian stores would be about $1.52/lb.
>chopping garlic is time consuming and/or difficult
All of my what?
Just wack it with the flat of your knife, remove the skin and mince the pulp. The whole process takes literally 8 seconds per clove if you're particularly slow at it. I can do it in about 3 seconds per.
I only suggest cuz if the jar is substantially cheaper, I'd say go for it. But if they're comparable in cost, use fresh. The jar has this odd, chemical-y taste to it due to whatever preservative they've used.

The rest in for the simmer.

>how much does the jar of preminced garlic cost? And how much does it weight?
The jar in was 4.99USD and weighs 900g.
>The whole process takes literally 8 seconds per clove if you're particularly slow at it.
Right. My wife and I are both grad students. When we come home we need to study and make time for the kids. Grabbing a spoonful of garlic while dogs and kids run around is much easier than doing it the knife way. If we need to make something special we will do as does. Also, cooking gives us time to catch up on our days.

Thanks for asking while not being a cunt.

Cheers mate!

Hey, you do you, boo.

If you like (or don't mind) the taste and are okay with the price, that's all that matters, I guess.
>thanking someone for having some basic civility
Right. This is Veeky Forums.
Would you mind terribly were I to delete the post then re-post it with a few faggots, cucks and niggers added along with a smug anime face? Just a few more Pepe Points(TM) and Trump will build me my wall.

Almost done then into the fridge. Final plating then.

Bump
Still waiting for it to chill before it's served with toast.

Here is my entry. Ratatouille with toasted wheat bread.

Total cost was only about $6 (USD) to make. There are plenty of leftovers for the next few days too.

Canned tomatoes 2 x 0.59
Zucchini 0.60
Bell Peppers 1.38
Eggplant 2.00
Onion 1.02
-----------------------
Total: 6.18

first mistake of cooking: serving your food upside down

Yeah my phone is weird, or maybe Veeky Forums is, but sometimes the image is flipped upside down. Sorry for your inconvenience. Here's a pic of one of my dogs for your trouble.

Twelfth entry and a thanks to you, you fucking bogan.
>I kid, but seriously thanks for the entry

Bump

I'll see your
>bump
And raise you a
>thump

Because I'm a
>chump

Tomorrow is the last day for entries.
Tuesday is the beginning of voting time.

god damn you are fucking annoying, no wonder everyone hides these shit ass threads

Then do yourself and everyone else a favor and hide the thread.
Also, this is yet another
>bump

>bumps
on a log.

Sweet, there's still time. Different user, just about to go to the store. Hoping to get mine in tonight

test

Okay so just waiting for everything to chill before plating. Here's the ingredients

Made a court boullion for the skrimps. I was surprised at how much flavor it imparted. Also threw in lemon thyme and parsley from the herb garden.

Peeling, off to chill

Roasted serrano and mango

The final dish. Shrimp with roasted mango cocktail sauce and a pico de gallo cucumber salad.

The shrimp was boiled in a court boullion, then chilled.

The cucumber salad is vegeti'd cucumbers with diced tomatoes, onion, avocado, and roasted serrano peppers, also lime juice and cilantro.

The sauce is a traditonal cocktail sauce and roasted mango pureed together.

Everything was chilled and delicious.

>boullion
Bouillon* Just realized I can't spell for shit

Ayy, Mamushka Doll.
Entry Lucky Thirteen!
Thanks.

Oh, what do you mean by
>vegeti'd cucumbers
Because I doubt it's a Dragon Ball Z reference... probably.

Bump

I used a vegetti, one of those as seen on TV things that turns vegetables like cucumbers and zucchini into spaghetti like strings. Trying to upload a picture but my network is screwy.

Bump

Here we go. Guess they're mostly called spiralizers.

Ah, thanks.

Bumped

Like a
>bump
on a
>bump
on a log, baby

I smell Gazpacho coming up

Bump

Alive like Johnny Five.

Tomorrow is Vote Time!
>insert Howard Dean Yell here

What's in your glass tonight?
>bumpf for graciousness.

I'm on Beam & diet Coke,
But I'm not Numbnutz.
Bamp

youtube.com/watch?v=gY5kKn24qvs

Didn't like this month's challenge so I skipped it. Any ideas for next month?

Just beer lately.
I don't really consider it drinking if it's just beer, more like a placebo.
Feel free to suggest (a) theme(s) during the vote thread, going up tomorrow.

I was the big mouth who suggested this month.
My bad.
But I did it sardonically.
>Didn't like this month's challenge
Well, you're not supposed to like it. It's supposed to be challenging. It's supposed to be Iron Chef tier "lol wut?". Any thing else would be "let's play" as opposed to "challenge".
It's meant to push you to do things that you wouldn't normally do.
There are cook along threads here that you can join in on and cook whatever you want.
I dunno , I'm kinda drunk and am texting shit.

Huh. I just made a green gazpacho with toasted paprika chickpeas. Should've documented it.

>Should've documented it.
Indeed.

VOTE THREAD UP!

Abandon thread!

Thanks boss.