So i need a mortar & pestle for grinding up spices and shit

so i need a mortar & pestle for grinding up spices and shit

can Veeky Forums recommend me a good one?

Other urls found in this thread:

ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60201251/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's a bowl and a rock ya faggot. Just pick one. Do you have to ask the internet for advice on what kind of water to drink too?

It's just fucking rocks in a weird shape. Who gives a shit just buy something.

They're such a simple tool the only things to really consider are size and material. Rough stone usually works best, it doesn't yield as much as wood does and the little pits help hold things down as they're ground. After that you just want to consider how much shit you want to grid up at once and get the appropriate size.

Don't listen to these guys, you need a custom 30lb granite one with a ceramic lining, non stick protection with an ergonomic handle.
Or the terrorists win.

buy a ball mill

There are these things called grocery stores that sell pre-ground spices made by companies that solely exist to sell ground spices so you don't have to do menial slave work in 2017. Why do you insist on making things harder than they need to be?

And the best part is, they come in pocket sized containers so you don't even have to pay for it!

fuck you faggot

Whatever you do, don't get a small one, and fuck wood.

Just go to some urban shithole that has either a Mezkin' or Asian market and you'll be able to buy one there.

While a food processor or coffee grinder is usually the preferred tool, using a mortar and pestle actually offers a different texture and flavor for shit like garlic and basil....crazy as that may seem.

Regardless, I use mine mostly for grinding whole spices as they keep their flavor longer when they're whole as opposed to when they're already powdered.

Take your limpwrist insults and walk away kid, I guarantee I'm bigger and meaner than you

don't get marble
I made that mistake because I like to buy expensive stuff
basically, you want something with a little texture. Ever try making parsley butter in a smooth polished marble pestle and mortar? IT DOESN'T WORK
don't do it, learn from my mistakes

i know you're a special snowflake and you think you're making a great point, but you're an idiot

not him but any suggestions for where to get good drinking water now that you mention it?

Garden hose.

For me it is W A T E R, the portly gentleman's thirst quencher.

apparently United Nuclear sells a small ball mill for $80. Put ceramics in there.

Avoid wood, a good ceramic one works fine. Used both in kitchen and at university and never had problems

>and at university
Erm... Care to elaborate? I sure as hell hope you're not grinding up chemicals at uni and then going home and using the same mortar for food!

Well, not the same mortars of course but it's the same material and from the same company too.

Ahh okay

Acme

Is there any reason I should get a stick and bowl instead of/in addition to a coffee grinder?

they're two different things that do two different things

I don't own a coffee grinder but it sounds like something I don't want to clean often.

The mortar and pestle are easy to clean, easy to use, don't take up a lot of space and shouldn't cost more than $30 for even a larger one.

>He doesn't get high on experimental drugs he made at his local university's chemistry lab
You're really missing out user.

It's hard to go wrong.

Just get one made from a material that's sturdy and not porous so it doesn't leave debris on the pestle. Get a mid size one that allows it to be used to both grind spices and be put to larger applications.

For some reason it always tastes better out of the hose but I think that's mostly because I only do it when I'm dying of thirst.

>2012+5
>making bland curries and using old dried out pre-ground spices

this better be b8 m8

Those smooth ones suck but the manufacturers who aren't retarded score the bottom of the pestle so it doesn't do that shit. Sometimes the bottom of the bowl as well.

muh wood is weak marble is smooth granite is radioactive use ceramics
but what about this ceramic dust in the food

This, but make sure its locally sourced.

are these good enough for mustard seeds?

Yes, you're going to want a pretty good sized one and definitely don't get one that's completely smooth.

how smooth will be the texture of the end result though?

Get a stone or rough ceramic one. That will ultimately get you down to a powder.

nice. thanks. my first time making mustard was a complete failure since i didn't know i needed a special grinder and i thought my chopper would do.

What is the verdi/ck/t on the best type of molecule to breathe? I'm a big fan of oxygen because of how well it binds with hemoglobin, but I'm open to suggestions.

ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60201251/

I'm a helium man myself. Distinct voice attracts potential mates and I can float away to safety if needed by removing my weighted shoes

These made from granite work very nicely and are virtually indestructible. I even grind curry pastes using real ingredients instead of buying the meme store shit. Any international market will have them and they aren't very expensive.

I'd suggest getting a basalt one. Less porous than most and the natural texture means they grind things pretty quick.

Or, you know, get a coffee grinder and use that. Some of those have removable canisters so they can be thoroughly washed out, which is a plus for grinding spices.

so you have spare time to do all that grinding?
get a coffee grinder and do it in 10 seconds..

Why would you grind shit ? You're making indian curry ?

/thread

>Actually takes the time to grind his own spices

What is wrong with you people? Why don't you just buy your stuff at the store, like an American? Do people actually take the time to grind up their own spices and coffee? So much unnecessary work, is that fun for you?

troll post but I'll reply anyway in case anyone doesn't know: freshly ground has stronger flavours than pre-ground, and certain things release their oils better when ground in a mortar.

It makes a big difference depending on particularly what the spice is.

whats wrong with a salt and pepper grinder m8

srsly is there actually a real reason to use mortar and pestle? if there is a real GOOD reason ill change to it

good for crushing basil for pesto, and crushing whole cumin seeds.

>Why would you grind shit ?

Spices keep their flavor longer if you buy them whole, as opposed to already ground, first, and second, you can toast them right before grinding to bring out stupid amounts of aroma and flavor. While you can do most grinding with a coffee grinder or food processor, a mortar and pestle can give you a different texture that creates a somewhat unique flavor in things like pesto, garlic, and chili pastes.

Do you "need" one? Nah. Nice to have if you really enjoy cooking, though.

>amerishit education

good choice

>are virtually indestructible

N2O, my niggaz.
use it to make whipped cream, and have a good laugh while youre at it!

for salt and pepper? No, OP's an idiot.
I use one to make pastes to rub on roasts, and for fresh herbs on pretty much everything (essentially anything with moisture).

Idiots can break anything, so nobody ever bothers to design things with them as the target audience.

everyone is saying stone, but I have a wood one and a stone and i kind of link the wood one more. maybe because it's lighter, if you grind while holding the bowl it matters.