Why are waitresses so rude?

Why are waitresses so rude?
Is $15 a bad tip?

The tip is still under 10% and i know youre just baiting for another pants on head retarded debate on tipping so to answer your question no, $15 is not a bad tip on a bill that's about $100. For something close to $200, make it a little closer to $25 or $30

She's just mad because her (((employer))) doesn't pay her minimum wage when she doesnt make enough through tips, which is somehow the customers problem. Tipping is fucking retarded.

It's not that she's a waitress that makes her rude, it's that she's a roastie whore that deserves to become the victim of an acid attack while she's walking home.

Yes

If you can't tip 20%, take it to go, you're literally abusing your waitress when you don't pay your fair share.
You should always tip your waitress, even if you thought the service was bad.
Complain to the restaurant, don't take it out on your waitress.

fuck off erica, i'm not tipping on the tax

Just asking a question

These are bait threads but you almost sound real, almost.

That's the entire POINT of the tipping idea. If she does well she can earn far more than minimum. If she sucks so bad she doesn't make the minimum, her employer needs to cover it.

Also 20% doesn't = minimum wage. She could have 7 tables and get paid 5% tips and still equal minimum.

i'd fuck that avatar

>fell for obvious bait
Really?
>you're literally abusing your waitress
That didn't give it away?

>le passive aggressive smiley :)

watch yourself or there won't be a tip next time you fucking cunt whore bitch

jesus christ i fucking hate that

Someone was gonna do it.

If I knew that this was my waitress I wouldn't tip

How do we fight tipping culture? I just rarely go to places that tip. But if I do go there, I'll tip respectably.

The Industry already is. Mcdugals and fast food places have you sit down and carry your Trey out these days. The rise of fast casual like chiknfil a 5 guys etc. Chipotle Moe's.

The industry is slowly shifting that way. It will continue too as boomers fall off. Not say sit down restaurant are going to go the way of the dodo, but people are beginning to expect more from sit down restaurants. What's the damn point if it's something you could of easily done at home in 30 mins?

These threads are always bait, but i fucking hate typing and i think it needs to be done away with. I'm not going to get into a big long rant about it, but just know it's cheating workers and a shit business practice.

The price of the food doesn't make the waitress work any harder. Fuck off and make your boss pay you a real wage.

After 150 dollars tiping should be capped at 10-12%, fuck greedy servants.

Alright, let me explain something to you. Your job is not hard. You’re lucky society allows it to even exist. You think the customer couldn’t take his plate from the pass and work the fountain?

Your Basic Job
>Toss my plate onto the table.
>Fill my glass when I sit down.

That’s the bare bones of your job. If that’s all you’re willing to do, that’s fine. But know that your salary is commensurate to the difficulty of the task.

Your Real Job
>Place my plate on the table with a smile and a friendly “heeeeere you gooooo. :)” Yes, you need to be bubbly as heck.
>Refill my glass, and anything else I have that needs refilling, regularly, and without me having to flag you down like a goddamn Apache helicopter.
>Ask me midway through my meal if everything is okay.
>Do everything you can to rectify the situation if it’s not.
>Bring my bill promptly, but not before asking if I want to order dessert.
>If it’s very busy and food is slow coming, come to my table a little while after I order and apologize for the situation.

That’s what is EXPECTED of you. If you’re not willing to do that, that’s fine. But all that is what you get tipped for. You get tipped for doing an exceptional job. You get tipped for adding to the experience of the customer. Your job is to make me feel like a KING. Your job is to make me feel like less of an idiot for dropping $30 on $4 worth of food and $1 worth of energy and labor. Your job is to act like your ability to go to the drug store and pick up your baby's ear medicine depends solely on MY enjoyment of the evening, MY generosity, and MY wallet. I am your GOD

>complaining about a free $15 for doing something you're required to do anyway
Fucking lol
Also don't give me that $3 minimum wage bullshit, that should be illegal in a first world country.

this. if anything, waitresses for cheaper places should get more because more people can afford to eat there, and that sounds like harder work on average to me

In my opinion it depends on the amount of work done. In particular, this bill is most likely from a large party that did not split the bill.

Serving a party of 8 is less work than serving 8 individuals each at their own tables. Why should she get the same amount of money for both?

Regular REstuarant
>Gives me drinks
> takes order
>gives food
>fills drink once
$20 per person, $4 tip per person

Chinese Restaurant
>give water
>give tea
>take order
> give soup
>take soup
>give entree
>eat entree
>refill water
>refill tea
>refill water
>refill tea
$10 pp, $2 tip pp

I tip because it's the custom and it's just how the world works. It's like saying "bless you" when someone sneezes.

Trying to fight tipping by simply not tipping is an extreme measure that I won't resort to. I wish tipped workers would band together and demand a reasonable wage so we wouldn't have to tip anymore. Unfortunately they won't though.

I have never worked at a job that got tips, so I don't know what it's like. I always hear them bitch about people who don't tip, but I never hear them say that the tipping system is fucked and we should change it. Honestly, I suspect that the good tips outweigh the bad tips. That's why they bitch and moan about individual small tips but they don't try to change the whole way it works.

Servers make a killing relative to their minimum wage skill level. That's why they work at restaurants instead of any of the other commensurate jobs. My high school friends were ecstatic to get a job serving tables because they made so much more.

Is tipping something only Americans are hung up on?

Friendly reminder that these threads are usually filled with pro-tipping shills (e.g. waiters) who don't want people to find out how much money they actually take home while doing a job that's literally easier than sitting in a grocery store register. Waiters make bank, for doing the simplest of job.

too bee honest I completely stopped tipping when I learned that waitresses get equally pissed off at a tip less than 20% (but nonzero, like 15%) as they do with a 0% tip. If they're gonna hate me at $8 and $0 equally, might as well save $8 and tip zero.

>America
>first world
good one

For that hourish worth of time, you just made 15 bucks for a job a retard can do. On top of that, you're probably serving multiple other people who will probably tip as well.

I worked at a shit resturant, with shit service, with meh food. I was easily making 20 an hour in tips (On top of 9.45 in minimum wage, would of been fine if I made back shit in hourly wage) people who bitch about this can fuck off, it's not the only job out there, you should have known what you're getting into when you applied for it.

What a child, expecting random strangers to pay her tuition like she's entitled to their money. Get government assistance if that's what you want.

Yes, it’s a service job. It’s not glamorous. If you have self esteem issues or you’re just too damn lazy, waiting tables is not the job for you. But at the end of the day, waiting tables is waiting tables. You’re not going to make Corvette money on a Honda level job, and you need to just get the hell over it. Because let me tell you, the waiters and waitresses who actually do the job for a living? They don’t pull out their iPhone 5S’s, with the unlimited data plan that mommy and daddy pay for, and tweet about how cheap bastards never tip. They go to their tables every day and they bust their asses to EARN their living. EARN their tips. That’s the job. It’s a little less “ugh, you know THAT table isn’t gonna tip” and a little more “can I top you off, hon?” That’s the tradeoff for a job that allows you to make a living without any education and with barely being literate.

Yes, there will always be those jackasses who wouldn’t tip even if you recited Shakespeare topless while they ate. But the vast majority of people WILL tip if they know they got good, attentive service. If you’re not willing to give good, attentive service, enjoy your $2 an hour. You’re getting paid for the amount of work you’re doing. Waiting tables is essentially commission work. If you’re not willing to actually do the job, well, good luck making a living.

And by the way? If I come to your place the first time, and get crap service, I don't tip. If I come back the second time, and you get all "oh, there's the nontipper, I'm not even gonna try", guess what - there will be no third time. You'll learn VERY quickly, in the unemployment line, the value of the dollars I give to your company, tips or not.

You'd fuck anything

I like the way you think

>guess what - there will be no third time
Oh no, what a shame, please don't go.

Does anyone prefer non-waited restaurants anyway? I'd much rather get my own refill than have to flag down the server to do it for me. And carrying the food from the counter to my table is hardly a chore. If I do feel like ordering dessert or something extra, I can walk right up and order it.
This is how my favorite casual sit down restaurant is. It's a little hibachi place. Really good food for less than $10 and I don't have to tip.

>iPhone 5s
this is some old ass pasta

And here I thought they were normal human beings who are happy just to get extra money, how naïve of me

Poor people are lame. Greedy people are worse. Low tippers are one or the other, or a combination.

I tip up to 20 bucks an hour for a meal, unless service was outstanding. Seems fair to me. 15 is low on that bill.

Yeah I prefer those places too unfortunately some of the best places to eat have wait staff. I actually avoid dining in at my favorite sushi place just to avoid having to pay extra for a quick lunch.

shes probably just mad they didnt tip with a rip

No, you'd fuck your subconscious anthropomorphization of that avatar

>expecting $30 for carrying plates to a table

But it isn't just """extra money""": tips are earned, not deserved. If a server wants to earn their tip, I'm happy to give one; but I'm not giving some entitled first-year-coed-Suzie an extra ten bucks just because she works a shit food service job.

how much do waiters actually make? I hear they make good bank at nice establishments. like comparable to some post-grad jobs

Well yes of course, when the wait staff are very attentive, fast and helpful then they've earned a good tip. If they're literally doing the bare minimum then they've earned a few pity dollars.

Waiter here.

I make after wage and tips (and tip out to kitchen), around $30-35hr(CAN). I work at a low end family restaurant though where you can feed 4 people for 35 beaverbux, so if I were to work at a more upscale place ($100 for a dinner for two) I could EASILY clear $50/hr.

My two nickels

i like you

>old
>Veeky Forums
>not stale

I never understood what the price of the meal has to do with anything. People obsess over this percentage thing like it matters. If anything the chef should get more for more work. The waitress brings out plates and brings out drinks. Literally nothing changes if it's lobster or a burger. I put down a 5 everytime, more for a upscale place but I never go. If I ever get attitude for that, I wouldn't hesitate to take that 5 back.

>people think I should tip 20%

But she needs your tips for her gender studies programs.

As a former line cook, I would have been happy if someone just told me their food was great as a tip. A lot of female waitresses are super cunts and look down on the people who work there seriously instead of just temporarily. They hate having to be nice and do things for people and some of them literally see tipping as a review of their looks and personality. If you tip low or don't tip they see feel like you literally called them ugly or cunty.

It's a "bad tip" because they bought, for example, $50 surf and turf instead of $15 pasta and $10 cocktails instead of $2 sodas wih free refills. Somehow, this entitles her to more money despite bringing out the same amount of food and drink.

I have dozens of fake 10 dollar bills I printed out years ago. On the front it's a normal bill. On the back it says "ask your boss for a real wage"

Actually employers are required to make up the difference between tip money and minimum wage.

What's it like never returning to the same restaurant ever? I bet yelp comes in handy

You talk a big game but I bet you haven't tipped below 15% in years

>If you tip low or don't tip they see feel like you literally called them ugly or cunty.
Next time I go out to eat I will ask my waitress for five bucks.

>ordered $30 worth of food+drink at a bar/restaurant today
>didn't tip

feels good man.

Please don't because then the cooks have to listen to her bitch wildly about it while we actually do work. The fact they even have time to bitch all day says a lot.

Or better yet, if you really want to cause some shit, insist on going back to the kitchen and tipping the chef who cooked your food. Then at the end of the meal, don't tip the waitress.

Fucking devilish.

>wanting bubbly service
You want them to feed you while making plane noises? Maybe wipe the sauce off your face, pat your head and call you a good boy while giving you a surreptitious handy under the table?

ye

Except the world doesn't work like that. You usually get better service without tipping in all the real countries

>If they're literally doing the bare minimum then they've earned a few pity dollars.
Yeah, i believe that's called their "paycheck"

Go back to shitistan, dirt muncher

Her employer does pay her minimum wage when she doesnt make enough.
If they don't, then she can sue the shit out of them for really easy money.

My fair share is paying for the food 2/3 times than what it would cost retail, I don't need to pay someone who brings me a glass of beer from a fridge and my plate of food +20%.

holy shit im glad im not a waiter xD

I personally tip based on how much i like the waiter. I remember having a really cool french canadian waitress once and i gave her 20%, which was a lot considering the funds i had available on my trip. Next time i went there i had an annoying waitress who made us wait for ages for everything, she got the change of a 20 off my $19 something bill because i wanted to get the fuck out of there. If you tip a minimum you're an idiot, tipping should be based on service.

please never post again

this desu.

The only downside is sometimes I tip black waiters less or not at all, but that's life.

>the bill is a lot so I should get a bigger tip

This meme needs to stop. It should be a flat fee. Carrying a lobster stuffed with caviar is as easy as bringing a cheeseburger.

I don't mind if you continue to post

I would like you to post exactly 238 more times. At which point, you should move on to bigger and better things. Like reddit, for example.

This is the truth, they have the lowest skill level of anyone in the entire restaurant

>It's like saying "bless you" when someone sneezes.
What? No, firstly saying bless you doesn't cost me anything and if I don't say it you don't get upset. A comparable custom is like giving a busker some change if you stood there and enjoyed their music. But even that's a positive custom since both parties feel good afterwards. Tipping is a custom that usually makes at least one party unhappy and adds an unnecessary layer of confusion and calculation for the paying party. It's like paying tax, you can justify it's requirement but it doesn't feel good to actually pay.

There are a few times I do actually feel good enough about the service (or occasion) that I want to tip but obviously those aren't the norm, nor do I expect that. I would feel much better if food prices went up by 10% and servers got paid living wage and tipping became optional.

Cheaper than getting it off of backpage realistically

Every restaurant I don't plan to revisit I leave a 1-star rating on Yelp and call the manager personally to complain about my waitress, no matter how good the service was. If you don't do everything in your power to get every waitress fired you can't afford to eat out.

>if I don't say it you don't get upset
That's not true.
>both parties feel good afterwards
Describing the act of tipping
>confusion and calculation
The % is there as a guide, not a rule
>It's like paying tax
Literally the opposite because it's optional
>it doesn't feel good to actually pay
Once again I don't think you understand the feeling of rewarding one's hard work. If I had a better time than I thought was expected, I'd want to encourage that, and I'd feel good knowing that they appreciate it.

You sound like a sociopath

>getting upset if someone doesnt say bless you

really?

waiter detected

DEVILISH

Coworkers of mine say it all the time about people they don't like. I could care less.
Can't take tips

So many poor people in this thread bitching about tipping properly. If you're a bum and you can't afford to go out to eat then stay home or get food to go.

>go fuck yourself :)
why are women so bitchy and awful to be around

>Compliments don't pay my tuition
No, the government did because they hand out student loans like candy. But ten years working as a waitress should pay it off because we sure the fuck know you're not getting a job with that gender studies degree of yours.
%-based tipping never really made any sense to me, for instance, one pizza takes the some amount of effort to deliver as two pizzas for the delivery guy, so it makes no sense that the tip would be twice as much.

At least they aren't eager to let giant corportations fuck them in the ass.

Good luck?

Don't blow it out of proportion, abdul.

>option A: sit at home and spend $0
>option B: go out and don't tip, owner still makes a profit
>option C: go out and tip, owner still makes a profit. waiter doesn't get their fee fees hurt
Why would the owner give a fuck if I chose option B vs option C. I await your mental gymnastics and objectively wrong response

Holy shut, you're a humongous faggot. Are seriously power tripping over service?
You know servers remember assholes like you, and they tell everyone they work with about you. Absolutely pathetic.

You probably just don't tip because you're some fucking NEET poorfag.

these are all correct

>order $8 sandwich
>waitress has to carry a total of one plate to your table
>$2 tip is acceptable

>order $80 Steak and Lobster
>waitress has to carry a total of one plate to your table
>$2 is not acceptable

Explain why tipping on a percentage of your bill make any sense whatsoever.

>even if the service was bad.
Heres your (you)

It makes zero sense. There is not way to explain this.

The only time scenario B is acceptable, and deserves a tip more closely aligned with the price of the dish, is if the server went above and beyond in their service. Drinks always full, routinely asking if they can do something more, etc. In my experience, places that serve quality steak and lobster also provide quality service, and I'm happy to tip accordingly.

If I got steak and lobster at Applebees, I am willing to bet the service will not be nearly as good as the nicer steakhouses I have been to, and I will not tip based on the price of the dish.

In short:

Nicer places tend to have higher quality servers.

Shittier places have average or worse servers.

waiter detected

They're mostly weak and stupid

>thinks the cooks give a shit about customers abusing the waitstaff