Teavana is going out of businesses

Teavana is going out of businesses

>We cannot figure out why consumers are not willing to pay $29.97 per gram for some dried rose petals with juniper berries.

money.cnn.com/2017/07/27/investing/teavana-stores-closing-starbucks/index.html

Is this proof that there are no patricians left in the world?

The Harney and Sons in SoHo is pretty close to me and they let you sample pretty generously at their tasting bar. Staff is all informed too. Teavana and Charbucks can get fucked.

rich bitch

the easier, less weird answer is that malls are dying because ordering shit (tea included) online is way more convenient. like the article says.

i wish it wasn't the case, my job at an amazon warehouse was chill as fuck two years ago. bitches should have just kept going to malls. fuck yall

Hardly. They do carry some rich blooded stuff like a $400 per pound oolong, but it's mostly very affordable. Pic related

>50 tea bags for $20
>WOW YOU MUST BE RICH
top kek

I just go to malls because I like trying on my clothes before I buy them. I wonder how that's gonna work when brick and mortar stores are a thing of the past?

Teavana was shit. Good riddance.

>spending $20 on tea
>fucking tea

Yeah he has a point, that tea better be fucking amazing

really good return policies i'm guessing, clothing stores will probably be one of the last holdouts just for your reasoning though

Think about it this way.
You're spending $20 on caffeine
For that price you could purchase 50 cups of high quality tea leaves, at that place he was talking about, or you could walk next door and spend the same $20 and get 4 cups of crappachino at shittbucks

That's kind of the point. It's a gourmet tea instead of literal dustings from a factory floor like Lipton bags. Dirt cheap too when you compare against buying tea out at a cafe.

But the dirt cheap junk at any Asian grocery store is better than teavana

I don't disagree but I'm talking about H&S.

On a side note, David's "tea" is pretty shite too. Look at this shit. Almost half their selection is abominations like this.

>actual popcorn

we can lynch people for this, right?

They both are geared toward womyn pallets which are sweet-toothed. I just buy tea for the cat-eater or street-shitter grocers .

>they both
Not really. They don't add goofy non tea stuff to their tea. It's just a botique with a shitload of looseleaf stuff and smaller selection of teabags.

Yea most of their stock is pretty shit but they do have a few good teas.

Nepal black for example is quite nice but at the price they want for it you can still get better elsewhere.

I am still thankful to Davids tea since it was like a gateway tea typed thing.

>try English "tea"
>absolutely disgusting
>never drink tea for 15 years
>try some Arizona sugar water with ginseng and honey
>that's not too bad
>try some flavored tea from Davids
>its ok
>use their points system memery to get whatever the most expensive stuff on the menu is for free
>pretty good
>order some Lung Ching and Bai Mudan from China
>I understand now

What do you normally get? I'm a fan of roasted barley tea. It tastes good with everything and soothes most client-based rage.

>live in rich Toronto suburb
>two very specialized tea shops within 10 minute drive
>they carry multiple kinds of lapsang souchong, sorting by origin and process

Simulated VR fitting rooms or clothing 3D printed based on body scans, I guess.

maybe we can all go shopping at amazon warehouses

I went to Teavana once and they had some interesting samples, I tried all of them. One of them was a weird brew that the cashier herself made up, I didn't like it (I think she put too much peach in it) but I respected the very fact that they let their workers have some autonomy with new flavors.

A Teavana opening in the nearest mall some years ago was actually what got me into drinking tea. I eventually moved on to ordering better stuff online but there is still that little hint of nostalgia for them.

Well yeah that's true but it's always cheaper to prepare something at home, be it a beverage or food

Is that popcorn in the tea? Is that the kind of world we're living in?

I honestly can't believe they lasted this long.

Teavana was the Starbucks of tea. It was fairly shit quality for the price. And the color of their matcha was emblematic of how old most of their teas are, off the shelf.

Beyond that, the US isn't really a tea consuming culture. They tried mimicking an asian business model in a place where most people want their teas prepared and prepackaged, and loaded with sugar.

There's precedent, genmaicha has roasted barley and occasionally popped corn in it.

Not to say that I'm defending them though, David's Tea literally has a "birthday cake roobios" with sprinkles and non-dairy creamer in it.

Teavana is just too pricey. They never figured out if they were a gift shop for overpriced ceremony style tea accessories or a restaurant. I'm guessing they intentionally tried to keep it gift shop versus going the way of Starbucks because it duplicated Starbucks when they purchased them. Dumb idea. I bet if I polled everyone I knew, no one had any idea you could walk into Teavana and get a $3 iced tea To Go. If they knew, it'd be the Starbucks alternative, but without a table to sit down, or a bathroom to visit, or wifi to enjoy.
Teavana is killed by their own model that wasn't to compete with Starbucks, I'd say. And they had some minimum purchase that was annoying. Okay, I do like the coconut blahblah tea, let's buy some, oh, it's a minimum quarter pound, oh? Alright, let's get that. This is $17 dollars of tea? It's dried pineapple and coconut flakes and bits of hibiscus costing a literal $1. Yea, I'm never coming back. This will look pretty in a jar, but $17 for what will make a quart of iced tea is stupid. I'm not a child. This isn't precious. It should have been half the prices of the other choices. $26 for darjeeling first flush? Maybe. But that isn't what is in that canister, so nah.

Also, no one likes tea. I mean that in a nice way. I can't tell you how many hipster "Tea Shoppes" I've seen open and close. They were intended to be like Starbucks kind of places, with weird little sofas, fancy tea sandwiches or nutritious foods....all. failed. It was the funky music. The alternative religion agenda. The far too alternative employees. It was never just a restaurant, it was too much. It seems that you can't support more than one of these per city.

And this is what I think deserves to take over.

vivi bubble tea, a chain in the northeast
They are doing it right. Cute machines, 100s of order possibilities. A smiling staff, not commission sales pressuring staff, and too much cuteness. Any parent would take their children there.

>amerilards need pieces of candy in their tea for it to be successful

>Also, no one likes tea. I mean that in a nice way. I can't tell you how many hipster "Tea Shoppes" I've seen open and close.

Thank Christ for the Commonwealth, where I can find classy tea parlours run by absurdly British people, quaint tearooms run by tired old farmers, dingy tea diners run by retired fishermen, cozy tea houses run by adorable Asian grandmas, and hipster bobatea startups all on the same street and none of them are struggling

But bubble tea isn't from America? And also since when has tapioca been considered candy? Is yogurt candy now to?

>Teavana is just too pricey.

This. It's a mediocre product at best but they charged premium prices.

Clothing companies having a 3D scan of your bodies, what could go wrong?

>since when has tapioca been considered candy?

Pretty much forever?
When it's not an empty snackfood it's an empty binding agent for other empty snackfoods.

or fruit jellies or fruit or cream or lychees

I went to both Teavana and David's Tea looking for Darjeeling. The lady at Teavana got legit excited that someone came in looking for real tea and was wafting tea in my nose within 15 seconds of me asking her. Then I asked about the price and it turns out Darjeeling is one of the most expensive teas they have. I didn't buy it and the lady was understanding.

I don't think its any surprise to anyone that they weren't turning a profit. Most of their patrons were interested only in the gimmicky teas and they're not the ones who'll be return customers.

Anyway I'm going to miss drinking the little free cups of tea every 6 months that I go to the mall. Adieu.

I know it isn't an american creation but it is very popular. I would also consider alot of the yogurt you can buy in American groceries to essentially be a desert. Shit like keylime pie Yoplait.

Yes and? Do you think Brits don't add milk or sugar to their tea?

Shit, i meant "dessert"

Normal people don't give enough of a shit about tea to pay a premium for it and tea people know better than to go to teavana. They weren't going to win

Sure they do, but it isn't the "default".

>super bergamot

Yet they have riots about when to put the milk in

/thread

>milk isn't the default

What are you talking about, shitstain?

My bad, I read that as milk AND sugar.

fuckin nothing' beltalowda

Most decent online retailers let you return and resize stuff no questions asked. There are a couple that send you a bunch of stuff and then only charge you for the stuff you don't send back.

>confusing as hell menu
>cute girl at the front

Hope they enjoy having zero customers.

>You're spending $20 on caffeine
I spent a few bucks on 60 100mg caffeine + 200mg L-Theanine pills.

I don't get the point.

Got one of their tea makers and a box of teas in pouches for christmas. Good stuff but their prices are fucking loony.

Also it's all doused in pesticide if that matters to you.

David's Tea tea is either potpourri or looks edible

>I wonder how that's gonna work when brick and mortar stores are a thing of the past?
Just buy all of your clothes from gap, they have a 45 day return period for online orders.

welp, looks like im gonna go back to buying tazo on clearance at target.

i get matcha from my farmer's market. it's ok, not as good as what I drank when stationed in japan.

a lot of overpriced brick and mortars are going out of business as the boomers are retired, gen X is too small, and Millennials are poor.

this isn't the 90s anymore. no one just has a lot of disposable income to blow on luxury goods from the mall.

how does Veeky Forums feel about T2? they have their gimmicky and 'desert' teas of course but their regular black and chai teas are quite tasty and pretty cheap (most regular black teas go for $12 which makes 40 cups of tea)

>high quality
>tea bags
pick one

Yo, Im in the process of starting a bubble tea shop. So far I have black, green, oolong for tea bases; I'd like a 4th one for more choices, but I dont want something so similar that it barely differs between.

Im thinking Vietnamese Lotus cause exotic and a good base to build a line of drinks with - lotus flavor and shit.

Theres one of these in my mall. I get a lot of samples, its good, but then i look at the price and its always like $50. Way to much for what it is. At $10 they would be billionaires

Flower based of any kind would work, you already got your light, dark and rich tea roasts. So a flower based tea for those sweetened ones would work well with it.

this has reminded me that I'm completely out of tea that isn't shitty scraps or some meme stuff someone gave me
where should I go to get some good black tea?

>bubble tea
>an american invention

And how much.

Also milk second anyone who says otherwise is an utter mong.

dude i love fucking tea, other than water its all i drink. i love that shit so much i started growing it, this shit takes like 3 whole years before i can harvest it. 3 years of watering fucking plants before i see any return. fuck off guy.

jelly, here in amerifat south, the only option for tea is FUCKING SWEET TEA. its impossible to order NON/UN sweet tea which in reality is teas default state. i gave up trying to order tea at fast food places because no matter what i say they hand me sweet tea. fucking coca cola is less sweet.

anyone know like how long from announcement is a good time to go for close out sales? i know the tea isnt good for the price but if its like 80% off im down. also i kinda want that single cup tea strainer they have.

I read somewhere that someone was asking for tea but it wasn't in season so she wasn't able to buy it. That place sounds retarded.

man I lived in the deep south most my life, what the fuck are you talking about? You can order unsweet tea at most places.

i know you can try but every time i try they look at me strange or give me sweet tea. i also dont like that i have to say UNsweet tea or DIET tea because sweet tea is the default.

Yeah, I went there around mothers day to get my mom some tea. The prices were just fucking retarded.

>Spend $100 and get 20lbs yerba mate
>Spend $100 and get 10lbs Guayusa
>Spend $100 and get 2lbs some overly sweetened blend of random flowers and weeds mixed in with actual tea

hmm

Fucking hell.

I love tea, it's just impossible to find anywhere that does good tea for not-stupid money.

Oh hey, I know that place.

This. Milk in first just doesn't work no matter how much the pro-milk first BBC try to push their agenda.

Honestly, I've been tempted to start my own hipstery thing of having a cart-thing that sells cheap, good tea either by the pot or by the cup. Something I can set up quickly and franchise out. It's all bloody coffee shops here.