Caramalized onions

This is 1lb (@400 grams for the real world) of onions cooked 45 minutes on low heat and look what I get. Seems like a memeish waste of time. 1lb of onions gives me 2 Tbs. What a joke.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yt_0e72fs9M
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

buy more onions?

are onions like 40 fucking dollars at your grocery store?

>45 minutes
lol why the fuck

Onions are cheap, buy 5 kg next time.

a fucking onion costs like a dollar you poor piece of shit, buy more. and learn how to grill onions, you've fucking incinerated those

Because that's how long it takes to properly caramelize onions.

No, those are perfectly caramelized onions.

Well onions are mostly water so yeah

you did something wrong if you managed to turn 1 pound into that

>perfectly caramelized
lol

Yeah, you sweated out the water and evaporated it. What's the big deal?

This amount

makes this amount of "perfectly" caramelized onions in about 20 minutes -in a pressure cooker.

1 pound is 453 grams.

OP BTFO

Well, 45 minutes is quite a long time to be fucking at the stove for what you get out of it. Yeah, it tasted sweeter, but I also spent a shitload of time on it and lost most of the fiber. Seems like a hipsterish meme, tbqh.

Reminder that you can make caramelized onions in like 10 minutes by using high heat and continually deglazing the pan with water.

They taste exactly the same as the low and slow method, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=yt_0e72fs9M

Didn't really mean it like that.

Yes it is a long time for that amount. Make a larger batch and use it throughout the weak.
Use less oil next time too.
If you have a pressure cooker, it's pretty much hands off once it's started.

This is how every restaurant I've worked in does it. I think that they turn out a bit more bitter than low and slow and I'll tell you why after I note that very few people will be able to tell the difference between the two methods (as in, I agree with you mostly).
Using the high heat method you burn the sugars. You can see it in the video that there are white pieces of onion and black pieces of onion among the brown pieces. After stirring, the black (read: burn) rubs off on the white, making the white look brown. Follow? So really, you're over-cooking parts and under-cooking parts and then mixing them together to create the perfect "brown" that you want.
I think most places don't have the time to spend on an ingredient that is invariably going to be used in a product that has a bunch of other flavors in it to that will easily mask the short cut taken.

You anal retentive fuck.

Is that burnt sugar next to the onions user?

Stop being wrong and people will stop correcting you.

those are far from perfectly caramelized.

I didn't add any sugar whatsoever. I don't know what you're asking about.

expand on that, if you are able

Just don't be retarded

>eating onions

I just use a pinch of baking soda to speed up the process.

I'd like to hear the science behind that.

higher pH increases the speed at which Maillard reactions take place.

It's not caramelization per se, but it will add to the flavour of the end result (a richer, but less sweet flavour), and certainly darken the onions.

Now that's a fair stance. It just sounded like your original complaint was the small volume of onion you were left with.

What kind of asshole cooks onions on low heat? Are you Polish?

>1lb onions
So basically 1 onion?
Try it in a 20qt stockpot with about 6 or 7 pounds of onions. And slice them into rings or petals, pleb.

You know that Polish people created their cuisine on shit the invading armies had fall off their carts while they left, right?

Perogies, dead pig meat, a couple onions, pig fat for a frying medium.

>Those are far from perfectly caramelized

>higher pH increases the speed at which Maillard reactions take place
how?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA