Red pill me on sauerkraut Veeky Forums

Red pill me on sauerkraut Veeky Forums

What's it best with, what's it garbage with?

>What's it best with
fatty meat, it can give soups a lot of flavor too
>what's it garbage with?
i dunno i like it with almost everything except for obvious things like ice cream or peanut butter sandwiches or things like that

I dig it on my cheese sandwiches with a bit of sriracha sauce too

Bradtwurst and potatoes.

I don't know how old you are, but stop saying "red pill". It makes you look like a giant asshole to most people.

Buy the kind that is caraway included.
Brown some bone-in pork chops both sides with onions (in bacon grease). Drain and squeeze out juice of sauerkraut, dump in sauerkraut, place all around and on top of pork chops. Splash of wine or beer. Bay leaf, more caraway, paprika, pepper, other spices, sliced apple, all entirely optional and unneeded with good kraut. Cover, and simmer until fall apart tender and sauerkraut is browned from rendered pork fat and gelatin. This works in an electric skillet, crock pot, big braising lecrueset in oven as well, and different cuts of pork but needs the bone gelatin and fat browned

What kind of cheese do you use? I'm guessing something similar to Swiss/provolone? I usually like to marinate lettuce and onion in dressing for cheese sandwiches but I never tried using sauerkraut, sounds like it could be good though.

Best with cured pork and sausages of all sorts, can be nice in stews and salads. Pears, apples, grapes, pineapples, other fruits, walnuts and chilies are all nice additions to sauerkraut.

precisely. Eat it with Nürnberger Rostbratwurst, with mealy, buttered boiled potatoes.

Btw Sauerkraut can be made in different ways: with stock, onions and caraway, or with chunks of apple, white wine/apple juice and juniper berries and bayleaves.

t. Bavarian

What's a good way to get rid of the vinegar smell on these jars? I like to use them to store rice or beans and shit but they always end up smelling like pickles (and tasting like them a bit too)

I would think just washing them with warm soap and water then letting them air out for a while would do it. Are you sure they're glass and not hard plastic? Glass shouldn't hold onto smells that much.

hot dogs. once i had one with just yellow mustard and saurkraut for the first time, i never went back.

never had it on anything else tho.

>washing them with warm soap and water then letting them air out
That's what I did and they don't smell like anything at first, but after filling them with rice and leaving them sealed for a couple of days, the smell returns. And yeah, they're glass. Not quality glass though.

Hmm, how long did you let them dry out and sit before filling? I would probably give it a week or two to air out. Maybe try scrubbing them with a baking soda paste too.

I just left them out overnight I think. I guess I'll leave the next one out for way longer. I'll also try with the baking soda, baking soda is always the answer for everything

Kassler und Kartoffelbrei mein Neger.

I used to not be a huge fan of sauerkraut, then i had good sauerkraut and I wanted to eat all of it straight from the jar. Good shit.

For sauerkraut most are the same it's what you do after that matters.
Ham hock
Caraway seeds
Pinch of sugar for acidity
Onion
Chicken broth
Bay leaf
Juniper berries
Apple cider vin
Peppercorns
Salt to taste
Let it braise for several hours keeping an eye on liquid

just let them soak in water with a bit of baking soda, it will neutralize the vinegar

Its your lid, that part isnt glass. It has nonreactive plastic lining.

Use very hot water, soap, rub all surfaces, rinse in bleach water. If still stinky, the lid is not reusuable. I have good luck with Barilla pasta jars, and they fit squarely against each other kind a nice mason jar would. Beautiful containers can be had cheap at TJMaxx, marshalls and the like. For my rice, I reuse the tubs that come with Texmati brand, but sometimes Ill reuse a Talenti gelato container, which has a really sturdy lid.

Normally just cheddar or Gouda:)

Pretty much any smoked sausage or potatoes. Great in a bigos, or hell, even with just regular minced bacon/bacon grease.

Chop up about 4 slices of bacon and lightly brown.
Ass sliced onion, apple and bell pepper and sweat.
Add kraut and enough chicken stock to barely cover everything, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 40 minutes. Check seasoning and enjoy.

i'm used to buy canned and jarred saurkraut.

one day i bought a bag of it that was refrigerated. it tasted so much better. so crisp, clean, and refreshing.

>Needs to be redpilled about saurkraut
You are a failure at life. You should acknowledge this fact.

I started putting just a little bit in pasta salad recently.
Felt like a fucking epiphany.

Fuck off, faget