Dear Veeky Forums

Dear Veeky Forums,

I am currently in nipland and got some ramen a couple of days ago which had an ingredient which smelled and tasted like horse shit, pic related. Does anybody know what it is?

Its pickled ginger.
That soup looks bland as fuck.

Looks like bamboo shoots. You have shit taste if that's the case.

fermented bamboo shoots

menma

Most likely this - pickled bamboo shoots.

>pickled ginger
sage

menma

This. They're delicious, and OP's a buffoon.

It's bamboo shoot. Also, how does it look bland? Are you one of those cucks who only enjoy American and "French" food?

>how does it look bland?

No browning on anything
no visible seasoning
no oil

OP here, a shit in a bowl of soup tastes the same commit, sudoku fucking weeb not everything in Japan is great. However I would sell my mother for the Hida beef

>not everything in Japan is great.
True, but ramen generally is. OP either has shit taste or really picked a shit ramen place. If he can't stand the taste of bamboo shoots I suspect he has shit taste. He pretty much admitted to knowing what horseshit tastes like, which is disturbing.

Bamboo shoots. I've had bad luck with those sometimes. It really depends on the brand they use, and if they rinse them in cold water. Some brands are crisp and nearly sweet tasting, but I've had some occasionally that taste like you said, horseshit.

>He pretty much admitted to knowing what horseshit tastes like
holy SHIT that was clever
nice one bro

OP here. Finally got the waiter over and he confirmed it's pickled ginger.
Thanks to all whose posts I couldn't see (phone posting).

I dont know what is worse -- admitting to knowing the taste of horseshit or liking the taste of horseshit.

That being said it tastes just like horeshit smells, and I am not repulsed by food easily as I do enjoy for example a Roquefort

I'm fine with bamboo shoot
but some fermented bamboo shoot taste terrible for me

my hometown surrounded by bamboo so I can see it almost every day

YeAHhHh bro!!!!

Kys weeb food snob, keep to your kmart microwave ramen and 2d anime waifus while I turn down this fermented bamboo crap ramen in nipland

>nipland
Reminds me of my friend who lays on a thick Southern accent and calls it "The Nee-hone". It's bamboo shoots and they should taste like a woody celery.

Anyhow thanks Veeky Forums for clearing up that it is fermented bamboo. It smelled somewhat like tripe which was offputting since I couldnt read the jap menu

You what now?
If that's their pickled ginger, you went to a shit tier ramen shop. Gross.

That wasnt OP, prob the previous poster in the thread who tought it was ginger

>It's bamboo shoots
Yes.

>>and they should taste like a woody celery.
Depends on if they're fermented or not. You described normal bamboo shoots. The fermented kind, which is sometimes used in ramen, has a definite funk to them from the fermentation process.

>no browning
it's a cup of fucking ramen, user

There are a lot of fermented foods in Japan that can be a challenge for Westerners. Shoe on the other foot, up until recently Japanese thought cheese was disgusting. It is a different culture from the other side of the planet, and some of their food takes a little getting used to. But generally it's been very good in my experience. Then again I've only spent a total of about a month there, so my experience isn't all that broad.

めんま pickled bamboo shoot.