/sdg/ - student diet general

/sdg/ - student diet general
ITT:
>Budget healthy dishes
>Easy to cook/time saving eats
>Healthy (or not) ramen variations
>Personal diets as a student or ex student

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/Better-Than-Bouillon-Premium-Roasted-Chicken-Base-8-0-OZ/10323479
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The fried egg meme was my jam for the first two years of my college. Later I upgraded to pastas and healthier stuff (salads) when I started a part-time jerb.

Bump

Buy the biggest bad of all purpose white flourthat you can.

Buy a bakers brick of yeast

Learn howto make bread, I personally dont follow any recipe I just all the dry ingredients first and stir then add luke warm water to my 4 cups of flour.

Youll end up with a ton of dough. Make a loaf for the week, make buns for t he week, make pizza or foccasia for main meals.

For toppings, just use what you have left over from whatever you were eating. within reason obviously. Also canned veges like black ovlives baby corns store long and can be used as toppings or put in stews and other meals.

Pickle expired foods

so in the grocery store they have veges and fruit laying out thats either already rotting or its ripe af. I usually buy the peppers. Get a jar fill half with water dump in pot fill half with vinegar dump in pot. boil with your spices dill etc... removed from heat, add liquid to the jar with the veges.

covers and fridge it for a few days. can be eaten within a few hours but taste fully pickled after a few days.

enjoi

Lots lf Tilapia filets
Whole wheat pasta
Lots of sweet potato
Eggs
Broccoli
Spinach
Hot Sauce is a student staple

Why are they looking at the boy like that?

tinned fish is pretty good, especially sardines & mackerel

why whats wrong with him? One of those evil children? I see nothing wrong with him

>ramen variations
I got you senpai

What if I don't want to use the seasoning packet it comes with? Any good spices you guys would recommend?

I usually just throw in turmeric, onion and garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne.

I really recommend fajitas. Roll your own with mint yoghurt and healthy vegetables, use ham/chicken for meat. It's healthy, cheap and really quick to make.

Eat oatmeal, please.

pls Veeky Forums stahp

They're about to take him to the back room and take turns cornholing him.

Stir-fry everything

Stir-fried foods are for "culturally enriched" faggots addicted to Sriracha and spices.

Frozen vegetables, frozen chicken breasts. Oatmeal, cheap canned tuna.

Ban ALL the flyovers.

Two words: Rice cooker.

CABS ARE HERE

I've been a student for five years. I'm poor as fuck yet never had to resort to budget eating.

Not sure what you guys are doing wrong but you are probably mismanaging your finances.

what is you kitchen set up?

rice and bean with some onions and cheese. throw a fried egg on top, I usually layer it all in a bowl.

Very cheap and tasty

forgot to add I alternate between chili and clack beans. red onions are cheap as fuck

>chili
kidney?

I hated eating on a budget

Had to eat rice all the time. Rice? Nigga fuck rice, like I was some kind of slave making iPhones in a sweat shop

but i love rice :(

poor people eat rice, beans, oatmeal, eggs, dairy, lentils etc
ramen is for retards. being poor is simpy linked to being retarded
just saying

Third World chic would be:
>rice
>beans
>pasta
>leafy greens (spinach/kale/collared/etc)
>cabbage
>potatoes
>onions
>chicken

if you get a pressure cooker you can slap an entire quartered cabbage, two potatoes, an onion, a garlic, however much spinach/collared greens/etc. you have, and a bunch of spices into a pot, add 1/4th cup water, and cook it for 25min. I personally add a shitload of paprika since im a paprikanigger and enjoy having my house smell like a spicy sewer

thats what i eat a lot of the time, and mix chicken thighs/pork every now and then. tastes good, and its good for you.

cinnamon, cumin and cayenne. all powdered

but I like adding about less than half the chicken flavor with it sometimes

melting cheese on it also wont hurt

fat people tend to spend all their money on food

He's right though. Uncooked oats, bowl of milk and some Milo. Perfect cheap and healthy student meal.

Beans
Rice
Onions
Carrots

Also buy stuff in bulk and avoid eating out, getting delivery and drinking as much as you can depending how broke you are

Milk and bread freeze well too. If you can get 4L/gallon jugs of milk cheaper per volume than the small ones then you can pour em into smaller containers.

t. Lived off of $30 a week food when I went to University

I stopped drinking Greek mens semen, I...I had a problem

Campbell's Homestyle soups if you're feeling lazy

they go on sale for $1 on occasion

been experimenting with quinoa donburi. with a rice cooker to make a lot at once, it can be portioned out, stirred with vinegar, topped with a heap of raw spinach and have a pretty solid meal you can spice or oil up however you want. plus meat to enjoy meat. i do a bunch of garlic powder, butter, oil, lemon-pepper, spice chili sauces, etc

PB&J sandwiches

you madman

shit and then i mean just microwave it 60 seconds and the spinach is perfectly wilted and you could throw whatever gay avocado or chicken strips you've cooked on top. throw that shit in cheap plastic bowls and woo your anime club sweetheart over sake and totoro. don't forget to itadakimasu with your (vegan) girlfriend for maximum damage

He is running away from home but that cop caught him in the act and the other guy is laughing internally about it since it is innocently foolish of the boy.

If you have a burner make your own broth.

Microwave

bag of salad
torillas
deli meat
dressing of your choice

make a fucking wrap.

I put peanutbutter in plain wraps

>deli anal cancer

no thanks senpai

Protein shakes, tuna packets, and low sodium v8 or other low sodium or sugar veggie juice.

Chickenbreasts rice kvark and sweet and sour sauce.

pasta for one man
1 package bacon
egg white from one egg
grounded black pepper

boil that pasta and fry the bacon
mix the pasta with the egg and pepper, add the bacon last

it's cheap where I live and goes fast to make so I can spend more time studying, but be sure to get some nutritions some way

>missing the entire point of why people do ramen

I love beans or lentils with some smoked Paprika and el yucateco hot sauce.

Donburi is excellent, haven't tried it with quinoa though. I'm gonna do that this week.

Slowcookers and crockpots let you cook stuff while you sit around in class or work, and you come home to a ready meal.

Flour, beans, rice, lentils, etc. can be bought in bulk for dirt cheap. These can get you pretty far as either a core of a meal, or as a side dish to just about any other meal you can think of.

When at the store, look for manager's specials, reduced cost produce that has blemishes or is misshapen, or otherwise good deals. You can get some pretty good stuff if you're willing to get it closer to the sell-by date, or don't have to have flawless produce.

Learn to make breads and soups. Depending on the type of bread, you can make dough in advance and freeze it before baking, and you can freeze leftover soup for times when you don't want to cook something.

The Sixty-Minute Gourmet is full of recipes that you can make start-to-finish in 60 minutes or less, and aren't based entirely around ground beef, processed cheese, bacon, and mayonnaise. It does call for a lot of butter, though, which can get expensive depending on how fast you go through it. This is really of use for people living in apartments, as dorms will usually lack the space and cooking range/oven called for in most of the recipes.

Drink water from your tap. Buy a filter if you need to, but you will save a lot of money by not buying soda, sugary juices, or bottles of water. It will also help you reduce your caloric intake, and keep your weight down.

Brownbag your lunches. It is going to be far cheaper than the meal plans on offer, and cheaper than eating out at restaurants near the campus.

When I was in college, living with 3 dudes, my main diet was

Canned tuna
Eggs
Rice from rice cooker
Chicken breasts
Beans (buy dried)
And cauliflower/broccoli/carrots for snacks

But ofc there was occasionally a spurge when drunk or feeling it

>Buy a bakers brick of yeast
Where would I be able to find this? I already bake a lot but I just use instant yeast and >$5 per jar gets pricy, but I haven't found any alternatives.

Not even the bulk store had anything.

>quinoa donburi with vinegar and microwaved spinach
that sounds
fucking disgusting, fuck you
also, ご馳走様でした

Literally ask your baker.

favorite ramen brands Veeky Forums?

I made this from a shitty ramen packet. Probably the best soup I'd had to date. You just need to umami the living shit out of everything you touch.

Fried mushroom, roast tomato. There's a chicken bouillon in paste format from Costco that immediately creates a chicken stock, miso paste also creates a great stock. You can fake it with packets or make it from scratch.

walmart.com/ip/Better-Than-Bouillon-Premium-Roasted-Chicken-Base-8-0-OZ/10323479

It's that shit that creates instant chicken stock.

Name it to retarded millennial cooking general

You need to have a dutch oven or a big iron pot without any flamable parts.

Go to Chinese market, buy pork shoulder meat. They go for 2 dollar ish per pound. The meat is great for stewing and have a good amount of fat and is extremely tender after cooking.
Buy enough meat to fit 1/4 to 1/3 of your cooking pot.
Buy dense tofu, ratio 1.5 tofu to 1 meat.
Buy tomatoes, 1 to /1 to meat.
Buy 0.5 ratio of minced lean meat.
Buy mushrooms, about the same volume as 1/4 of your cooking container.
Have spices for stew.

Here's how you cook it.

Cut meat into small cubes, cut tofu into big cubes, dice tomatos, cut mushrooms.

Brown the minced meat, add your spices and seasoning, then on top put a layer of pork shoulder meat, ontop of that tofu, on top of that mushroom, and on the very top your tomatoes.

Put a lid on the container.

Put the container into your oven, set heat initially to 400 degrees F or 200 C. It'll take about an hour for the entire thing to heat through. Once the container reaches boiling or near boiling, lower the heat to 220 F or 100 C.

Just leave it in the oven for a few hours, depending on how big your container is it'll take a few hours to stew tender.

After cooking's finished, leave it in the oven with lid still on, let it cool down till it's safe to handle.

Portion and freeze. Refrigerate only portions that can last you 2 - 3 days at most.

cont.

This thick stew can be used as pasta sauce, if your caloric requirement is high, just fill with pasta or bread.

Or, if you are on a diet, the protein heavy but caloric low stew base can simply be added to cabbages (cheap as hell about 0.4 dollars per pound). Add 1/3 pound of the stew base to 2 - 4 times volume veggies, add a bit water and heat through. It'll turn into a very nice veggie meat stew, with very few calories.

If you leave the heat on low enough, you cna cook it through the night, let it cool next morning, and portion and freeze. Perfect cooking for weekend and requires no skill and no need to pay attention to it while it cooks.

You can eat the meat stew as it is. It is very filling and has very low calorie count so it's a great diet food. The calorie count should be very low if you skim off all the fat after cooking.

keep the fat in if you work a physically demanding job or does weight training.

A big 6 liter pot should require ingredients around 40 - 50 bucks and can last you at least a week and more, if the stew you made are served with veggies.

lastly, this cooking is nutritionally complete. add some fruits you'll have a healthy hearty meal without worrying about not eating right.

well one more point, you have to cook it in the oven due to how densely the pot is packed. Attempts to cook it on a stove will resulting in burnt bottom and uncooked top.

some people like to make there ramen much better with simple cheap mix in. most this stuff is super easy to add makes it a lot better.

cheese, tortillas, potatos, frozen chicken, dried beans, rice, all of these simple and cheap items can be put together to make various meals- bascially taco bells formula

you could've also changed to hard boiled egg

好胃口

Why do you guys need any of this? Genuinely?
I get a protein bar or two (stolen) and I'm good for the day
if I feel like spending I get a cheap pizza from the sub shop
genuinely what kind of state do you have to be in?
i've never had ramen/egg/burger my whole life
i'm not even rich

>never had ramen/egg/burger my whole life
wat
also, why not eat/make all the anything? do you even like food? am i not in Veeky Forums?

genuinely got linked this board by a friend who hates me i usually browse Veeky Forums
this was after being lectured on what the fuck pita bread, falafel, and deviled eggs were as well as hummus

Peanut butter, spaghetti, and eggs. Usually my main diet when I'm at Uni.

well come on back when new food is more exciting than offensive to you.

It's not that it's offensive its that I don't feel the need to
my friend promises to cook for me if we live together
I love you Veeky Forums guys I'm just not skilled
I still have no fuckin clue what paprika is, I used it once on accident because I thought it was red pepper flakes, big mistake.

just practice. i didn't feel much like it until i started running out of dough and had to make a few dollars in groceries last a few days. it can be embarrassing to screw up and you might lose some ingredients, but it's worth it.

i also get a giggle out of doing anything unnatural that's older than recorded history, too.

Is this friend female?

>in a situation where he has to steal protein bars and eat cheap pizza
>"why do people want to spend less on food?"
You're black, aren't you?